FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rangeley  (Read 1705 times)

Darby

Rangeley
« on: Apr 25, 2021, 12:49 PM »
Last weekend both motors on the boat died on Rangeley, and we had to get towed in.  Boat was supposedly fixed, so went up this weekend.   Big motor wouldn't start, and ended up buying a small tank for the kicker.  Went out last night, no wind, and landed 1 20" salmon.  This morning it was flat calm at dark thirty.  No hits until 8:00, then landed 2 16" salmon and missed a 3rd in 30 minutes.  That was it, way to slow for this early.  Even so, it was great to be out with the guys and Dad.  Headed back for a week on May 10th

MarkNFish

Re: Rangeley
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2021, 06:30 AM »
First of all, outboard motors just plain suck, period.  They lull you into thinking everything is good - until it isn't 8)

Really cold water coupled with a big moon = lack of bites.  At least that's my excuse ;D

gamefisher

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2021, 08:25 AM »
First of all, outboard motors just plain suck, period.  They lull you into thinking everything is good - until it isn't 8)

Really cold water coupled with a big moon = lack of bites.  At least that's my excuse ;D

Big moon made for a slow weekend for this cat, two small browns, but do know of a stud caught, 9lbs 10oz.  Funny, that never seems to happen to me! :'( :'( :'( ;D   

Darby

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2021, 09:20 AM »
My Lund actually has an I/O, but it's the d**n gas that goes bad as you put it into the tank.    Draining it this week, and going to straight non-ethanol like I run in all my engines besides autos.  Crap should have been banned before it hit the market.  When I woke up at 4:00 am Saturday morning and saw the moon I told the guys "better pack more beer so we at least catch something!"

MarkNFish

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2021, 06:40 AM »
My Lund actually has an I/O, but it's the d**n gas that goes bad as you put it into the tank.    Draining it this week, and going to straight non-ethanol like I run in all my engines besides autos.  Crap should have been banned before it hit the market.  When I woke up at 4:00 am Saturday morning and saw the moon I told the guys "better pack more beer so we at least catch something!"
I agree.  I put Marine Stabil in everything, but I still cross my fingers, and I won't use anything more than a month or so old. 

MarkNFish

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2021, 06:45 AM »
Big moon made for a slow weekend for this cat, two small browns, but do know of a stud caught, 9lbs 10oz.  Funny, that never seems to happen to me! :'( :'( :'( ;D
It doesn't happen to me under the best of circumstances, but someday... 8)

I don't think the cold water helped either.  We were breaking ice on the way out in the morning. 

swnoel

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2021, 06:58 AM »
I'm surprised there aren't any gas stations up there that sell pure gas. Using ethanol gas in any carburetor engine is asking for trouble. I understand many believe treating it works... I know it doesn't and if you must use ethanol based gas don't use an inboard tank holding more than you need for the outing. Glad to hear you rescued your fishing excursion.

MarkNFish

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2021, 07:13 AM »
I'm surprised there aren't any gas stations up there that sell pure gas. Using ethanol gas in any carburetor engine is asking for trouble. I understand many believe treating it works... I know it doesn't and if you must use ethanol based gas don't use an inboard tank holding more than you need for the outing. Glad to hear you rescued your fishing excursion.
There are, and I often use it, especially when I'm not going to use it up quickly. 

Darby

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2021, 08:18 AM »
I have found that the large snowmobile locations (Rangeley, Moosehead region, and Millinocket) carry non-ethanol.  My fault, I knew there was some bad gas in there, tried to add $70 worth of non-ethanol.  Now I have to syphon out $100 worth of gas to run through a water separating filter to put in my autos.  MarkNFish is right, we thought we were getting hits, but it was the shell ice catching on the lines

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2021, 08:51 AM »
Well that sucks. At least you got some time on the water. 

I had an outboard (5 horse Johnson) that gave me fits and I took it back twice to be worked on. 2nd time the mechanic got mad at me and said there was nothing wrong with it. I knew there was, and sure enough when I took it to another mechanic he knew what it was right away and fixed it. No more problems. I did end up selling it though.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.