FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: On Them Early and Often  (Read 2269 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
On Them Early and Often
« on: Mar 01, 2018, 06:53 PM »
March can be a tough month on open water.  Often the toughest.  Some years, I've had to practically stand on my head to scrape up one fish on the 30th or 31st to keep my open water streak alive.  2018 was not one of those years 8)  I was hooked up within 15 minutes of starting this morning, fished 3 spots, and was into quality fish everywhere.  Ran the trifecta of salmon, brookies, and a brown.

I tried spoons some, with limited success.  The less aggressive approach of a jig under a bobber was the way to go.  Tubes and Trout Magnets worked, but this jig really triggered them.

One spot had a water temp of 36*...nice to see!

No worry about keeping the streak alive.....7 full years in a row and counting ;D

JDK

Re: On Them Early and Often
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:13 PM »
That is amazing and without any doubt in my mind, one of the most impressive streaks I have seen.  Congratulations.

# SAND

crazycrawler

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Very nice fish for any time of year. How do you like those rubber nets?

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Awesome Jim, QUALITY march salmon.  I wouldn't mind knowing a winter spot like that!  :D that last male salmon is a BEAUTY, wow.  Nice hens too

I haven't been fishing since December, itching to hit some flowing water hopefully sooner than later, with all the warm weather lately I couldn't help but think you would be into the trout/salmon somewhere!  8) glad I checked here. 

'Grats on your open water monthly streak continuation.  Wouldn't surprise me if you're the Maine record holder for that!

Jim C.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Thanks.  I like the rubber nets a lot.  I see them as a must if you want release your fish.  The rubber nets also keep you fishing by avoiding net tangles.  The old knotted nylon nets just don't cut it.

Very nice fish for any time of year. How do you like those rubber nets?

Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Thanks, Jay and Randall.  For years, February and March were sticking points.  They are still no chip shot most years.  My "go to" winter spots seem to vary in terms of success from year to year, so I need to poke around quite a bit to find willing biters.

That is amazing and without any doubt in my mind, one of the most impressive streaks I have seen.  Congratulations.

Awesome Jim, QUALITY march salmon.  I wouldn't mind knowing a winter spot like that!  :D that last male salmon is a BEAUTY, wow.  Nice hens too

I haven't been fishing since December, itching to hit some flowing water hopefully sooner than later, with all the warm weather lately I couldn't help but think you would be into the trout/salmon somewhere!  8) glad I checked here. 

'Grats on your open water monthly streak continuation.  Wouldn't surprise me if you're the Maine record holder for that!

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2018, 05:40 PM »
Very impressive Jim.

franklin fisher

« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2018, 05:55 PM »
  Very nice.  7 years is a long time to keep that streak going.  Great job.

RRobert

• cast, mend, drift, hope, step, repeat.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2018, 08:32 AM »
Very nice Jim!  The ol Bobber and Jig is underrated in these parts but super effective.
Every rod has a story, and some of them are true.

stguy

« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2018, 11:19 AM »
 :bowdown:

7 years is a long time, almost an entire generation ago, says a lot about you Jim.

I discovered the rubber nets a while ago and will never go back to the nylon ones.They are much safer for the fish and some of the lures I use have multiple trebles and have had to cut many of them out of the nylon nets.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2018, 12:36 PM »
I was on another board and there hasn't been a ton of action - though good discussions - so I figured I'd check into the 'ol MyFishFinder not to be disappointed.  Looks like another great outing and a fantastic post to match.  I appreciate, as I'm sure others do, your willingness to share what is bringing you success.  Great way to learn from one of the experts!

I hope winter in general has been treating you and your family as well as that outing! 

jacksmelt

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2018, 03:48 PM »
good job keeping the streak going Jim! some nice fish there!
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Jim C.

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Thanks, Steve.  Some winters, a 10" fish will keep the streak going. This year, some bigger fish have come out to play.

good job keeping the streak going Jim! some nice fish there!

fish wayniac

« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2018, 07:50 PM »
It’s always nice to get the Trifecta ! You had a productive outing. Awesome

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.