FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lookin for depth  (Read 3967 times)

High Tide

Lookin for depth
« on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:43 AM »
I'm looking for a website that shows depths in lakes and rivers (topography map), that you don't have to pay for.  I don't care about printing it out, just a reference check, i.e hotspots.  Maybe there is no such bird, any help?

jigginstick

Re: Lookin for depth
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:13 AM »
Jig,Jig,Jig

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:56 AM »
The terra server website is great.  You have two options, topographic maps and aerial view photos.  The topographic maps will of course show contours, and used along with the aerial views you can see actual landmarks to use for reference on locations.

High Tide

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:40 AM »
That is going to help out alot, today will be a reference day, and I just moved to the Indy area, and last year, believe it or not I had a blast with smally's on the White River (jig and leech, rattle traps, beattle spins, jig and minnow, craw hoppers) and in the early season if you find the holes you find the fish, so I hope these websites can pin point these holes (each hole can yield some 25 smally's). 
And for the flyfisherman in the area there are alot guys who kill the smally's with wet fly's, that will be my new hobby this year.  Thanks again!

Hack58

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:51 AM »
Crappie,

I just was on the teraserver site.  While I agree that it's pretty cool I couldn't figure out how to get lake depths to be displayed.

Can you help me out, or am I asking more from the site than it will give?

Hack.

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:45 AM »
You know you are right, I just tried it also and couldn't get contours of the lake.  I just assumed you could since it shows them for the land.  I have actually never used a  lake map for fishing. 

livin4ice

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:01 PM »
I found some on terraserver that do show the contours and others that simply list the sea level elevations.  (Silver Lake, Kosciusko County does and Salamonie Reservoir, Wabash County shows sea level elevations) I had to zoom in all the way to get some of them.  Better than nothing for sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.