FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pros and Cons Of Ultralight Tackle  (Read 5888 times)

Indy Pete

• Fish ON!!!!
Pros and Cons Of Ultralight Tackle
« on: Mar 13, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Hey guys,
    I recently read an article in IN Game and Fish on the pros and cons of using ultralight tackle.  The author of the article was not in favor of using ultralight tackle.  He suggested that there are droves of fisherman out there trying to fish 60 foot of water with 4-pound test and trying to take 200 pound fish with 2 pound test.  And when smaller fish are caught the fight of the catch is too much for their bodies to handle and cause the fish extreme physcial damage.  The author concluded with implying that you should use a stout rod with heavy line and reel them fish in as fast as you can to keep them from fighting to long.
     I am a die hard pan-fisherman and I always take my ultralight rod with me just in case.  I have a pond behind my house and have caught just about every size of fish there is in there.  I try to always use the appropriate tackle for what I am fishing for, but on occasion I'll catch something big and have a long hard fight.  I havn't found dead fish floating everywhere, I was not convinced to stop using my ultralight tackle?

Does anyone agree or disagree on using ultrlight tackle?

IP

flynuts2004

Re: Pros and Cons Of Ultralight Tackle
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2004, 09:35 PM »
Indypete - I did not have the chance in reading the article. I must agree with you I don't see any harm. 98 percent of my fishing is with a fly rod which we use light tackle. I don't have the answer I may be wrong. Let's see what your post brings...

Rick   

Hack58

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:38 PM »
I have to agree with flynuts.  I grew up fishing a private lake that was about 60 acres and while we were mainly fishing for gills, we couldn't help but hook into the 1 - 4lb bass that were in abundance there.  Never once did I see any signs that we were hurting anything that wasn't a result of a deep hook.

We also spent many an evening there catching bass with flyrods, and as with the ultra-lights didn't see anything that would bother me........

I'm not planning to get rid of my ultra-light outfits anytime soon, however I do spool with 6lb most of the time, so I can put a little more drag on 'em.

Hack.

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:44 PM »
Ultralite is the way to go, more fun that way.  I like to take it another step and mainly use microlite gear.  My biggest fish thus far was an 11 lb. flathead on my 4'6" microlite with 4 lb test, what a fight that was.  This past fall I was fishing for crappie and hooked into a carp in the pond where I live fishing with a crappie jig, that was a good battle until I ran out of line, I could barely gain any ground on the fish.

Indy Pete

• Fish ON!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:24 PM »

Guys,
     Thanks for confirming what I thought, your input is appreciated.  That article was in the January 2004 IN G & F.

Thanks IP

HIMO

• MFF Mod Team
  • Goatboy's- Wisconsin chapter "1st Wisconsin goat"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2004, 09:23 AM »
I am a firm believer in ultra-light gear. I use it all the time except when I decide to go after some HAWG'S. the sheer fun of catching a fish on this gear can't be equaled.

HIMO
"IT'S NOT HOW DEEP YOU FISH, IT'S HOW YOU WIGGLE YOUR WORM" !!!

hillbilly hank

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2004, 11:25 AM »
I really enjoy my ultra light tackle aswell.. but i think what they talk about is the fish that brake the line and have it dangling out of their mouth and git snagged up and die or live with it in them ect...sure there is a lot of fun in the feel of the ultra light... i use the lightest line i can but still have the strength for the appoperate fish size.... just my 2 cents... have a great fishin year!

Mr. Pike 16

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2004, 11:44 AM »
The guy who wrote the article probably a pro bass fishermen and horse everything in like they do in the tournements. I don't believe it hurts the fish by using ultralight Tackle :P

hillbilly hank

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2004, 11:50 AM »
and i cant spell ;)

river scum

• fishin is livin
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2004, 08:58 AM »
there is the posibilaty of killin a fish from to mutch of a fight. science has proved that. but i think its only in extreamly long battles. i do love to fish with light tackle,but use your head you know. dont go huntin flathead with 6# test in a bunch of snaggs lol. you will not only loose the fish but leave him(or her) with a hook in the mouth.
hope you guys dont take me the wrong way. these are just my opinions. if i had a problem with people killin fish, i wouldnt hang around the lake with crappie 66.   lol just playin with ya crappie

Powerworm

• There's One!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2004, 01:00 PM »
I have not read the article in question, but have read several articles catch and release survival rates.  When a fish (or human for that matter) exerts themselves a chemical is released in in to the blood stream called lactic acid. It is a muscle by produce. An excess of lactic acid can kill fish. This is most common in the summer months when water and body tempertures are high.  If you don't believe me go to Lake Webster in the middle of August. I can almost guarantee you will see more than one floating musky carcus.  In fact most diehard musky fishermen frown on fishing during this time for this reason. I think however that this phenomenon is rare in most speicies of fish found in Indiana i.e. largemouth bass, gills, catfish.  I think  walleye,muskies, pike, trout, smallies, and other fish that prefer cooler water are more likely to be in danger. I know I have caught walleye and crappie on ultra lite gear and they didn't survive, but then again I have never witnessed any fish swim well when I release them into bubbling hot oil ;D.   

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2004, 11:01 PM »
there is the posibilaty of killin a fish from to mutch of a fight. science has proved that. but i think its only in extreamly long battles. i do love to fish with light tackle,but use your head you know. dont go huntin flathead with 6# test in a bunch of snaggs lol. you will not only loose the fish but leave him(or her) with a hook in the mouth.
hope you guys dont take me the wrong way. these are just my opinions. if i had a problem with people killin fish, i wouldnt hang around the lake with crappie 66.   lol just playin with ya crappie

I like to kill fish, they are yummie in my tummy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.