FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Recipe for Suckers  (Read 13274 times)

Chuckles

Recipe for Suckers
« on: Mar 15, 2004, 12:46 PM »
Sometime between "iceout" and the start of Trout season here in NW Pa.  There are usually some nice days when a fellow can find himself fishing in a river or creek for Suckers.
I just wondered if anybody had any recipes for canned,fish cakes,ect. for Suckers?

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: Recipe for Suckers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2004, 01:09 PM »
sure,  same recepie as for Carp.   Take a shovel,  dig a nice big hole in your vegie garden and plant it two feet down. Plant your tomato plants on top.... :P ;D                                                 J.
GONE FISH'G.......

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2004, 01:09 PM »
I don't personnaly do this, but a lot of people enjoy smoking them and then eating them.

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2004, 02:18 PM »
I was asked to try  them once, a good friend who dosen't waste a thing, shot a couple with the bow and cooked them like this...
Take a can of Old Bay seasoning and read the directions for crab cakes on the back.  Just substitute the sucker for crab and add a pinch more Old Bay to the recipe. 8)
Not a bad recipe.... for sucker!  They're pretty good smoked however.  We get redhorse sucker up here that come out of some pretty clean waters, don't know if I would touch one that comes out of suspect or dirty waters.  They are the "stream hoovers" of our rivers  ;D  Good luck!

Fish Stew

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2004, 02:40 PM »
Right you are, there is nothing like standing on a boulder along the Allegheny River on a sunny day this time of year and catching big White Suckers.  They are quite difficult to catch as they bite so light.  Some small red worms, small hooks, and a light rod, it's a blast.  Suckers have a ton of small bones and I have never been able to fillet them out, and what a shame their flesh is very sweet and of coarse this time of year they are very clean.  I have been making fish cakes with the gills I have been catching through ice and using a recipe that was meant for Suckers.  I do one thing different by boiling the fish fillets instead of grinding the fillets, none the less here is the recipe:

-Fillet and skin the sucker
-Grind the sucker fillet with the finest setting(or a food processer) this grinds the small bones your could not fillet out
-Make real mashed potatoes in the amount that equates to three parts fish one part potatoes
-Mix ground sucker and potatoes
-Add fine seasoned bread crumbs, diced onion, garlic, eggs, salt, pepper, and some parsley
-Add bread crumbs until your consistancy allows for you to form small patties
-Roll patties in flour
-Place patties in a skillet with hot lard(crisco, peanut oil, or bacon grease)
-Cook until golden brown

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2004, 03:56 PM »
guys, quit making me drool

Gilles

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2004, 04:09 PM »
jigawhopper, thats about best way to utiltize your carp and suckers, good idea.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2004, 04:11 PM »
Gilles, since you live in colorado, keep the flannelmouths and razorbacks and blueheads ;)

nuke1neil

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2004, 05:39 PM »
Sucker Patties

fillet and skin suckers and cut in to 1/2 strips;grind strips in fine food grinder

To 1 lb.of ground fish add;
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 egg
1/2 cup cracker or bread crumbs
1 small onion chopped fine

mix and form in to patties.coat each side with flour.fry in butter,margarine or oil.

Mrs.William E. Deets
Cochranton,Pa.

Colorado_Ice

• Mmm, Mmm, Good!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2004, 06:44 PM »
Gilles, since you live in colorado, keep the flannelmouths and razorbacks and blueheads ;)
TroutFishingBear,

You trying to get Gillles in trouble? ;) I know he's smarter than that.

If any of you want to know why TroutFishingBear put a winking face after writing that line, it's because all the species he named are endangered here in Colorado and some nationally as well.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/species_cons/list.asp

mike692

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:08 PM »
Why not pressure can them? I have done quite a few stocked trout this way and the bones disolve. I would skin the suckers, and cut the meat (bones and all) into chunks. Pack them in pint jars as tight as you can, add only a tablespoon of white vinegar to the jar. I think the processing time is something like 75 minutes at 10lbs, but check before you try it. Just search the net for fish canning and you should get results.

Out4Trout

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:33 PM »
Years ago someone gave me some pickled sucker, I hate to admit it but it was pretty good.

Indy Pete

• Fish ON!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:53 PM »

Hey Guys,
When I was younger my grandpa used to keep suckers and he said you could score the bones out when you fillet them.  I never took the time to watch him.  Is this possible?

IP

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:42 PM »
I have made fish chowder before using fish that I did not know what else to do with.  Would think this a perfect application for the recipe.

Filet, clean and bake fish, so the flesh flakes off bones. Make up a Potato Soup type concoction, right from the can or from your grandma's homemade Potato Soup recipe. Sprinkle in some green seasoning to taste and add baked fish chunks. Very tasty.

When you say New England Clam Chowder it congers up this warm fuzzy "yes, I could go for that feeling", Fish Chowder just does not do the same thing. If, however, you do a brave thing and give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

wyogator

« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2004, 01:56 PM »
Hey guys. Take the sucker, put it on a board and stick it in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. When done, take sucker off the board, throw it away and eat the board. Enjoy :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.