FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cheap Quality Fly Combo  (Read 7232 times)

Big Al 1

Cheap Quality Fly Combo
« on: Mar 30, 2009, 02:03 PM »
I am unsure if a cheap/ quality fly exists. I have a older Shakespeare fly rod that came with level line. The rod with the poor quality makes it very hard to cast farther than 20 or so yards. The rod flexes a lot so it takes a lot of energy to cast the distance I want. I would just replace the line however with the price of good line I am thinking it would be in my best interest to just get a whole new setup. I will be mainly fishing for trout so I was planning on getting a 6/7# rod. Can anyone lead me in the right direction on a nice rod under 100 dollars. Thanks in advance.

TonyTheIceMan

Re: Cheap Quality Fly Combo
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2009, 02:23 PM »
I am unsure if a cheap/ quality fly exists. I have a older Shakespeare fly rod that came with level line. The rod with the poor quality makes it very hard to cast farther than 20 or so yards. The rod flexes a lot so it takes a lot of energy to cast the distance I want. I would just replace the line however with the price of good line I am thinking it would be in my best interest to just get a whole new setup. I will be mainly fishing for trout so I was planning on getting a 6/7# rod. Can anyone lead me in the right direction on a nice rod under 100 dollars. Thanks in advance.
Take a look at the L.L. Bean Streamlight.  It's a nice rod for the money.  You may not realize it but to be able to cast 20 or so yards is pretty good on a light fresh water fly rod.

Good luck
Tony

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2009, 05:59 PM »
dicks has st croix rods on sale  bottom line 49 bucks! but first i'd buy a  cortland 333 rocket taper for the rod you have you can get the line for under 30 bucks
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

pickledpike

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2009, 06:13 PM »
Reddington crosswaters are a pretty good rod for 60-75.  They have a nice fast action if you are looking to bomb some flys.  I have bought most my fly lines on sale (often over half off) by looking at sporting goods stores often.  They will put lines on sale when the new years models have a different color or taper.  I see this less at fly shops but it never hurts to look.  There is nothing wrong with these lines they often just tweaked something minimal like color.   Most of the time you can find a decent line for 20-30.  As for a reel, I would try to use the one you have and wait to buy a new one if the 100 dollar limit is firm.  Unless the reel is really bad.  If you do want to replace it  there are some decent reels in the 30-40 range.  I prefer Okumas in this price range.  I think if you piece together your own combo, you will get a lot better quality setup.  

Big Al 1

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Thanks for all of your input i will still be shopping around but at least i have some ideas. The problem with not casting more than 20 feet is i don't have waiters yet ( next purchase) i really enjoy fly fishing however i believe with proper tackle it will make my life alot easier. And my reel is shot i have had this rod for a while and when i was younger i had no concept for taking care of things.

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2009, 11:45 PM »
"Cheap" and "Quality" are a very rare (maybe impossible) combonation in the fly fishing world...

But most Cortland products are really quite good.  Their fly line is (arguably) the best on the planet, but their rods have been scoffed by more than a few people over time.  Most of my high-brow friends, included...

In truth, their lower end "Fairplay" stuff is actually quite nice and casts like a rod twice it's price.  I own many fly rods, from basic Cortlands up and through a Winston and a Thomas & Thomas...  I don't have the "Fairplay" models, but I have casted a ton of 'em over the years and was actually quite impressed.  The reel seat isn't as pretty as you will find on much higher priced models (probably plastic instead of exotic hardwoods) but it will sure beat your Shakespeare!!!

My Cortland 3wt and 7wt rods have both held up great, and they have seen years of action.  I actually broke a rod tip on the 7wt awhile back and sent it right to the factory in Cortland, NY...  I had a new one in less than a week...  No charge...

As for reels- do an eBay search and you can't go wrong.  If you are thinking "inexpensive" check out the Okuma Airframe's or even the newer Ross Reels that have come WAY down in price...

These rods and reels aren't going to stop a charging tarpon- but no fly rod combo is going to unless you really throw a few dollars at the effort.  It surely gets pricey- but it also get addicting...  Good luck!!!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

Big Al 1

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2009, 11:25 AM »
The more I look at the fly fishing supplies i am finding it is going to get spendy. I have a question for all you experts. How are the scientific angler and temple forks rods, reels, line. The reason i am asking is because at our sportsmens Warehouse has a temple fork kit that has reel rod backing wf floating line, case  and tippet for 180 it is more than i want to sped but it looks like a very good setup. The scientific angler is at walmart and it is 90 with everything besides the case. I either want to stay cheap in case i break a rod it will be a cheap replacement but no so much that i have to pull out a loan lol. The other question is does temple forks rod have the warranty like cortland where you break it they replace it?

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2009, 11:57 AM »
I really should have mentioned Temple Fork in my last suggestions...  They make a good product and stand behind it very well...  I had a TFO 10wt down in the Everglades and LOVED it...  I only got rid of it because I traded it for a trolling motor when I left FL...  Pretty sweet deal...

TFO all the way...  Their "Lefty Kreh" models are sweet, that is what I had...

As for Scientific Angler, I personally think they are no better than the Shakespeare you already own...  I'd steer clear of that stuff, but some others may have differing opinions, of course  ;D
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

Big Al 1

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2009, 12:59 PM »
So if i accidentally break the tip or something they will replace? Or what is their policy?

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2009, 01:20 PM »
Your question regarding repair/replacement inspired me to read some other people's reviews of the TFO rods on the Cabela's site...  The overall response was PHENOMONAL, with many of the same points I stated earlier.

There is a big difference between a "cheap" fly rod and an "inexpensive" fly rd when it comes to quality.

Nearly everyone reviewing the rods on the Cabelas site were astonished at the value of the rod and it's overall performance.  I was pleased to see that most guys were referring to Lefty Kreh models, since that is what I would recommend too.  Reviews are here:  http://www../link-12/product/0023204317214a.shtml

I think the review that most interests you would be this one, but as always, I would encourage you to simply pick up the phone and call the company directly re: the return policy and not take my word for it.  But here is one review for you:

"I purchased my original TFO flyrod (9' 6wt) as a backup rod for a steelhead trip on the Bogachiel River in Washington. The rod performed so well that I purchased a second TFO rod (8'6" 5wt) and it has become one of my favorite rods for trout fishing. One of my friends stated that it fishes as well as his rods which cost 3 and 4 times as much. After a couple years I accidently broke one of my TFO rods (my fault) and sent it in for repair/replacement. TFO replaced the damaged section but could not exactly match the finish on the original rod, so they sent me a completely new rod, AND returned the old rod with the broken section replaced - they said I could keep it as a backup or practice rod in addition to the new replacement rod. Now that's service! I now own 4 TFO rods and feel I am equipped to meet any flyfishing opportunity I care to challenge. These rods deliver such a fast, smooth cast that they make casting seem almost effortless"

Sure sounds good to me.  I think you can expect a 20-25 shipping fee is you send in a broken rod, but a brand new replacement ain't a bad deal, huh?  Of course, I would not recommend FULLY EXPLAINING how the broken rod is YOUR FAULT- since that sort of changes things  :D

I've rolled a few tips up in the trucks power windows in my day- but somehow failed to mention that to the Cortland guys who replaced the rod free of charge with no questions asked.  Then again, I went to college in Cortland, NY so it made the exchange a bit easier when I could walk into the factory or outlet store and tell 'em my rod broke.

Just be pleasant and you can get a lot in return from a good company.  If you yell at 'em they will tell you to shove off  8)

Big Al 1

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2009, 08:31 PM »
Thanks jimmy for the wealth of information. And i also belive being nice to people pays off " don't burn brides in case you may need to cross them". Sportsman's Warehouse here has a Cortland fairplay kit and the Temple Forks kit the difference is that the Cortland being 80 and temple forks being 180. However customer service is worth a bright and shiny penny in my opinion. How temple forks treats their costumers my be what swayed my mind.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:57 PM »
just math guys st croix 81/2 5 wt 50 bucks....martin reel 15  cortland  rocket taper 30 total 95 bucks with a 5 yr warrenty on rod,quilty rod just another option and you can't  roll windows up on rods in cases lol
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Big Al 1

« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2009, 10:38 PM »
I have found two Very nice kits. I will have to pay a little more than i wanted but here they are. A cross water reddington and another reddington red fly 2 i believe it is kinda a tan color rod. the cross water is 100 and the red fly 2 is 140 with a hard case and a lifetime warranty where as the other only has a one year. So now it is between the nxt series by triple forks for 180 or reddington for 140 both are very similar except the temple is a 3 or 40 piece and the reddington is a two. So what you guys think reddington or temple forks your answers will determine which one i get so as much input as possible would be nice. Thanks all.

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2009, 07:09 AM »
I'd say Temple Fork far above the Reddington... 

But please take that at face value ('ve never been a fan of Reddington or St Croix)...

If you go for the Temple Fork, be sure to go with a 2 or 3 piece, not the "40 Piece".  :laugh:

Big Al 1

« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2009, 11:28 AM »
lol Sorry about that. So temple forks is worth another 50 dollars.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.