MyFishFinder By Species > Catfish

channel cat rigs?

<< < (3/3)

Water Wolf:
Hi guys,
I saw another interesting cat related tactic on in-fisherman the other day.
They were using just a regular ball head jig with a cut minnow or sucker as bait.

Have any of you ever used just a regular lead head jig for cats? :-\
Do you cast out and let it sit right on the bottom or have it up a ways? ???

WW

Mac Attack:

--- Quote from: Water Wolf on Apr 15, 2015, 06:25 PM ---Hi guys,
They were using just a regular ball head jig with a cut minnow or sucker as bait.

WW

--- End quote ---

A buddy of mine fishes the Catt in a kayak and he uses a leadhead jig all the time.
Paddles over a hole and jigs the hole or along bridge pilings for them.
And he catches a LOT of kitties.

slipperybob:

--- Quote from: Water Wolf on Apr 15, 2015, 06:25 PM ---Hi guys,

WW

--- End quote ---

I keep telling myself that one of these days, I'm gonna use that bass jig and put a piece of cut bait on it.  ;D

panfishman13:
depending on bottom content and whether i'm fishing from shore or on a boat, i'll either fish a modified carolina rig or a modified drop-shot rig.

for the carolina rig, i take an appropriately-sized egg sinker or walking sinker (i strictly fish for cats in still water, there aren't any in the rivers near here) slide it on the line above a bead and swivel, then measure out a 12" flourocarbon leader, to which i attach 2 #4 or #2 octopus hooks spaced 6" apart. for bait i prefer chunks of bluegill or perch, but i've had success with worms and commercial dough baits (particularly berkeley catfish nuggets in fish flavor. i fish this from the boat because it lays out nice and flat when cast, and when i'm fishing close to cover i'll only ever lose the hooks if i get snagged.

the drop-shot rig is even simpler. a heavy cannonball or bell sinker at the end of the line, then 2 octopus hooks above, spaced at 6" again. i fish this one from shore because it gives me casting distance and i can reel up tight to the sinker so i can feel anytime a fish bumps the line. since i cast this from shore, it often encounters weed patches, so be sure to get it up high in the water and reel it in fast when you check the bait.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version