FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Salted Minnows  (Read 1146 times)

cnypanfisher

Salted Minnows
« on: Mar 25, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Any good tricks to salting Buckeyes. I dry them for a day before I salt them, seems to work pretty good. Also regular salt, not iodized.

BiteMe

Re: Salted Minnows
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2021, 08:54 PM »
Live buckeyes I drain most of the water and add about 1/4 cup of plain salt to the water. After about an hour strain and spread them out on newspaper and cover with more salt. Next day in a ziplock and refrigerate.
Fishy, Fishy in the lake, please come here and take my bait. I troll and jig you take my hook, and then I take you home to cook.

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2021, 05:53 AM »
 I just sort out my dead buckeyes through the winter , be surprised how much you end up with
 , I use , pickling salt or  regular salt what ever is handy , I drain off the excess juice a couple times ,when they get to where I like them , I take them out , I keep them in dollar store plastic containers during and after they are brined ,  I do up 2-3#s a season
 These are now 4 months old
 And keep in the fridge, or you can vac pac and toss in the freezer , I do both
 I also keep some in my ice shack running out of bait is not an option 😉

cnypanfisher

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2021, 07:42 AM »
I was reading people put A live minnow on A bottom hook, then 2 salted on 2 hooks above them. They get more fish/perch from the salted ones than the live one on the bottom that is moving them around. I had 40 minnows die before I got the water stabilized, hopefully won't need to salt more of them, but i'm sure they will get put to good use.

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2021, 10:42 AM »

Tim never heard that, give it a shot I try different thing all the time something s work others don’t
 Most of my salted bait is for stream trout if my lures don’t do the trick or extra heads for ice fishing

O

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2021, 06:38 PM »
I always follow the instructions from this Michagan website.  Works great and the minnows last a long time.

http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/general/how_to_make_salted_minnows.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.