FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: some nice rainbow  (Read 3670 times)

mttrout

Re: some nice rainbow
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2007, 12:46 PM »
I have heard about that situation.  They figure out who the a-hole is that put the lakers in there in the first place?  Are they considering any extreme measures like killing off the entire lake, then restocking it with the naitive broodstock? 

As far as I know those aholes were fisherman who wanted to catch big fish! ;) From what I understand the lakes (like Yellowstone L) are too big and deep to ever get rid of them entirely. People I work with are experimenting w/ different ways to lessen the impact. I'm pretty sure thay are doing extensive gill netting on the lakers, going real deep so they don't get as many cutties in their nets. Also encouraging anglers to catch and kill the lake trout.

dooberhoopa

• ridin' fishin' or huntin' i just wanna be outside
« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2007, 12:49 PM »
do they have limits on the lake trout or are they letting u get whatever u want to get rid of he lakers...u dont have any pics of a cutthroat do u ive never seen one
Team MIRC NYRC Chapter.....ROCK BASS ON!
Tis better to have fished and lied than never fished at all

mttrout

« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2007, 01:03 PM »
do they have limits on the lake trout or are they letting u get whatever u want to get rid of he lakers...u dont have any pics of a cutthroat do u ive never seen one

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure it's open season no holds barred on the lake trout. We have 2 spp of native cutthroat, yellowstone and westslope. Both are spp of special concern due to hybridization w/ bows and competition w/ nonnative spp's. I catch some real sweet yellowstone cutties ice fishing, best was about 20 inches. But the biggest I caught was last fall on the yellowstone river near livingston. Over 4 lbs and well over 20 inches. Catch tons and tons of cutbows or hybrids. They look like a rainbow but w/ the red slash on the jaw, can be noticeable or very faint depending upon the degree of hybridization. They can get real big and are very voracious. Some places I fish on the yellowstone R. you just pull them out one after the other! Took a 10 year old kid down last summer and he caught a 6 lb cutbow on the yellowstone, biggest trout of his life. He 's still showing off the pic. We released it and later his dad said he would have mounted it if we kept it! I catch westslope up in NW MT in the summers.  I'll see what I have for pics when I get home tonight but for now.....http://fwp.mt.gov/fieldguide/detail_AFCHA02088.aspx

http://fwp.mt.gov/fieldguide/detail_AFCHA02087.aspx

dooberhoopa

« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2007, 01:06 PM »
wow....how long does it take for them to get that curve in their jaw?? and that dorsal fin is outrageous!! thanks for the pics maybeill get out to yellowstone and we can fish for the infamous rock bass!!! NYRC!!

mttrout

« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2007, 01:11 PM »
wow....how long does it take for them to get that curve in their jaw?? and that dorsal fin is outrageous!! thanks for the pics maybeill get out to yellowstone and we can fish for the infamous rock bass!!! NYRC!!

Rock bass only in tongue river in mt. I could show ya some trout though....

http://fwp.mt.gov/fieldguide/detail_AFCQB06040.aspx

dooberhoopa

« Reply #20 on: Apr 05, 2007, 01:16 PM »
i guess the "im fishing for rock bass" wont work in many lakes out there huh? weve caught so many of the little red eyed buggers to send u a couple hundred!! ;D

mttrout

« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2007, 01:39 PM »
i guess the "im fishing for rock bass" wont work in many lakes out there huh? weve caught so many of the little red eyed buggers to send u a couple hundred!! ;D

On the rivers tell em all you're getting are whitefish, they'll move on ;)

pondpro

« Reply #22 on: Apr 05, 2007, 02:39 PM »
Thanks and the rainbows were probly stocked from last year
Tommy G.

Shawner

• I'm goin' fishin'
« Reply #23 on: Apr 06, 2007, 09:11 AM »

Nice catch there Tom.  ;)

rich81

« Reply #24 on: Apr 07, 2007, 06:48 PM »
beauties..... how did they taste?

pondpro

« Reply #25 on: Apr 07, 2007, 07:13 PM »
Thanks and they tasted good
Tommy G.

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Apr 07, 2007, 11:05 PM »
Native: historically native and not introduced

Naturalized: Not native but reproducing.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.