FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Fishy Weekend (sorry long post)  (Read 853 times)

westernmas

Long Fishy Weekend (sorry long post)
« on: May 26, 2020, 11:47 AM »
Well one positive to this whole COVID situation is limited obligations and more time to get out fishing.  My long weekend start off on Friday at Quabbin.  As I reported in a different thread, we landed about 9 smallmouth in the 2-4lb range, with the majority of them coming on jerkbaits.  We battled some obstacles, such as the trolling motor not locking into place, and some line/knot issues on my end but the fish and weather cooperated so I couldn't have asked for a better time.

Saturday I spent the majority of the day with my girlfriend up in the northern Berkshires.  We grabbed a late lunch at A-Ok BBQ in North Adams, and then proceeded to fish the Hoosic river.  I've never fished this river and access was a little bit limited from what we found.  We fished one stretch in the main stem that looked very promising but we only landed 2 small rainbows in the upper section near the natural bridge state park.  After beating the skunk we made the scenic ride home.

I tinkered with some saltwater gear once we arrived home.  Then I hit the sack for a quick nap so I could meet Matt down at the Cape to fish the salt.  Matt and I fished from about 130-7 with the most productive time being right around sunrise. I landed 3 schoolies up to about 2 feet long and lost another at my feet.  Matt got on the board with a couple of his own during the same bite window.  The big girls should be arriving soon.  The fish we landed were still covered in sea lice.

Sunday was a recovery day so i could be up early to meet Jon on the Farmy Monday.  I met Jon around 8am and he had already landed well over 20 fish by the time we met up.  Jon proceeded to hammer on fish with the euro rig while I did more fly changing than anything to start until I hooked into a really nice rainbow on a streamer but I lost that battle.  I finally joined the club and put on an indicator with a couple of nymphs and proceeded to landed a nice brookie and a few rainbows.  My best fish of the day came shortly after Jon and I parted ways.  I worked my way down to where a tree was laying in the river and put a streamer back on.  I got a few bumps on my first couple of strips through and finally connected on a nice 17" rainbow that took me a while to land in the fast current.

Jon and Matt nice seeing you guys.  We definitely need to make it happen more frequently.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

bogtrotter

Re: Long Fishy Weekend (sorry long post)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:53 AM »
Wow, I got tired just reading about your action-packed weekend.

Sounds like good times.

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 12:55 PM »
Great report thanks!

ICEHOLE

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Good weekend for you Pat! thanks for joining me! looking forward to bigger fish soon. took a visit to all the same spots yesterday during less favorable hours and didnt do well!
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 10:51 AM »
Yes I agree Pat.  Matt I wanted to join badly but only had the juice to swing the skinny long rods vs. the surf rods.  I do have that gear ready so maybe new moon in June.

Pat that was some fun fishing.  That stretch doesn't see much pressure so those numbers are possible multiple times a year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.