FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spring Lakers  (Read 1929 times)

BABY SITTER

Spring Lakers
« on: Apr 21, 2006, 04:20 PM »
2 years ago we caught 2 trout 3-4 pounds back to back , and when cleaning them we noticed that they were right full of ants that they had be eating. they must of been right up on shore to do this.
Last year in the same lake we ended up in a 10 - 12 foot muddy bottom bay thinking of picking up a pike or 2 when the trout started nailing the lines , and they were right up into the bull rushes into 6 feet of water . And it's not like they were small trout they went from 3 - 7 pounds .
When I was cleaning them some had minnows and some had sticks and beetles.
That muddy bay remained good right up the mid june mark .
I know there are bigger trout , just that in the shallow water I'm certain the boat scattered them.
I would like to target these big trout more so this year , but we are limited to how we can fish.
We are in a 14 foot boat so effective casting is out, the shore is crowded with trees so shore casting is out. I do have planner boards ,but again akward in the small boat.
So far i was thinking of sitting in the boat with a bobber  and bait .
Just looking for other possible ideas on targeting these shallow laker's

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
Re: Spring Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2006, 05:11 PM »
Sounds like you're casting into a lot of structure.   I'd idle in or use a trolling motor to get within casting distance, and then try casting.  For lures, - I'd go back to what got them last year, and try that again.  If you're losing a lot of lures, then try going to a set up like spinner baits in different colors and blade widths, these hooks will often bounce over logs and weeds.  If that's not productive, I'd try rubber worms on a Texas rig with a cone shaped sinker.  This setup is nearly weedless. 

Only question I'd have is were the trout hitting near the bottom, or midwater?  That might determine the setup or style of retreive.  Good luck!

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2006, 07:09 PM »
lakers in tight to shore is very common until water temps rise.....I would rig a live minnow or deadbait on light weighted slip sinkers....you dont even have to move around....they'll pick up in their feeding frenzy....hang on for some great angling fun....Grump

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2006, 01:45 PM »
Grump and Skiff are right on the money, a slow drift into the bay or slowly move around with the trolling motor should not spook the fish. Like they said try the same lures and colors as you used last year, also lures like the storm wildeye shad or Mr. wiser sassy shads in the size and color of the common baitfish should work. Also try soft jerk baits if baitfish colors. A smelt below a slip float or hooked in the belly so it floats off the bottom may temp them to. :)

WW

BABY SITTER

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2006, 12:24 PM »
I got some suckers this weekend ( wasn't easy ) and that is exactly what we are going to try difting in with a slip bobber. And hopfully there will be a breeze . Should be a blast since we can go with lighter tackle. The look on my daughters face everytime she gets one and the way spring lakers fight.
Thanks for the input.

Ashnohgrimbatul

« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2006, 01:20 PM »
I have had similar experiences with them gorging on flying ants...we were able to jig a few up from a canoe, but no size to them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.