FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Close Call  (Read 4709 times)

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
Re: Close Call
« Reply #15 on: Jun 12, 2006, 02:49 PM »
If I'm not mistaken in NJ you are required to take a boating vourse for use in freshwater. It may have just been a preposial but I know I heard of it. When I took my safety course about 10 years ago it was a 6 week deal, 2 nights a week. Now they compressed the course to 4-5 hours and only require you to learn the bare minimums. Most guys will pay the $60, learn the bare minimums and walk out knowing 2 or 3 thiungs they didn't know walking in.

9 times outta 10, the guys causing the problems, such as this idiot, could care less about the law, safety, or anyone elses. I know its illegal to have people in the bow of the boat in just about everywhere, while you are under power. It creates distractions, restricts vision, and puts anyone on the water in danger. I'd have gotten his registration info and quickly called the cops and see how they handle it.

This is exactly why I avoid big lakes over the summer. When I go out it'll be after dark and my defense kit will be some fireworks, if you can't see a 2" mortar coming towards you and then going off right in front of you then you better have a d**n good lawyer.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
« Reply #16 on: Jun 12, 2006, 02:57 PM »
fireworks seems like a good idea.  My flare gun will probably have the same effect. 
No sense calling the cops here in Michigan the Marine Patrol will just come out and do a safety check on your boat.
They are too lazy to chase down a speed boat or jet ski and catch the real wrongdoers.  I've had it happen to me when we got hit by a drunk in a speedboat.  If we weren't in my buddies pontoon I would be dead.
The sheriff just came out and counted our life jackets.  Meanwhile the speedboat was parked at an island 100 yards away drinking and partying it up.  Sheriff didn't even go over there.

don't get me wrong I respect all law enforcement except the sheriff's Marine patrol.  What a waste of taxpayer money they are.
Next time something like that happens I'm calling the DNR hopefully they will actually do something.  If they don't I'll be the water vigilante.

Anyone ever see Missing In Action?  That'll be me popping up out of the water with a machine gun.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

hunter13

« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2006, 03:49 PM »
sounds like what happened to my father a few years back but not as close of a call but my father did lose his leadcore line  LBD is this on the lake where i fish alot

hunter13
GRAB YOUR ROD AND GET-R-DONE

buzzbomb

« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2006, 05:09 PM »
I know I can't post a picture of the back of four girls in bikinis waving on here ,
but it is what the guy was looking at, so it is relevant...... no, I just can't do it.   :-\

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #19 on: Jun 12, 2006, 05:37 PM »
LBD

Glad you are ok.

You did not say where.  Where you at Bomo.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

oldken

• oldken
« Reply #20 on: Jun 12, 2006, 07:52 PM »
had acharter boat come up behind me while trooling on the oswego river. came within 25 or 30 feet of my boat cut all our lines and just turned out and went by laughing. always hoped he got enough line in his lower unit to ruin it old ken

Eye Hunter

« Reply #21 on: Jun 12, 2006, 08:42 PM »
Glad to hear you're ok, Had a close one a few years back with a jet ski, ran over my planer board, but that was intentional. now I will cary a paintball gun whenever the planer boards are out.  ;D

Out4Trout

« Reply #22 on: Jun 12, 2006, 09:40 PM »
When that sort of thing happens, you don't always realize how serious it was until a few hours later. Had a close call on a motorcycle once. I shook it off at first, but wanted to rip the guys head off that night.

bigdave1018

« Reply #23 on: Jun 13, 2006, 05:13 AM »
same thing happened on port bay a few years back. a small rowboat right around dark was anchored fishing. this bass buster, i gotta go 60 mph to get to my fishing spot, ran the boat over and un believably no one got killed. the small boat had no lights and was blue in color but even so the big boat was going toooooooo fast and wasnt paying attention. if you believe in a higher power, He was looking out over the water that night. and no, people who own boats think they own the water, not all but some do :-[.

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #24 on: Jun 13, 2006, 06:27 AM »
Hunter13, Yes it was on the lake where you fish a lot and in fact it was the landowner where you brought your shanty out onto the ice last winter.  I was near the horse camp swim area, headded south.

Fisher, this happened on the lake south of there.

Reel Wet Ride

• Team Michigan
« Reply #25 on: Jun 13, 2006, 09:23 AM »
I'm glad you escaped the incident without to much damage. I just can't believe how dumb people get when they get onto the water. Its like common sense goes out the window and some sort of dumba$$ intellegence takes over. I had things like this happen to me more than a few times. Suprisingly enough more so with sailboats than anything else. But there are also the guys in the big boats that find the need to power up and run at 30mph 50 feet from my boat, and thats when I'm in my 12' aluminum.  And I just love it when I'm anchored up and someone finds the need to get with-in my casting zone, needless to say, I've put a few jigs in other people bows....and I agree about the Michigan Marine Patrol or Coast Guard,  you call them for help, then they end up trying to prosicute you for everything they can.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #26 on: Jun 13, 2006, 02:10 PM »
Wow, Little Brown Dog lucky it was just the lines that were cut, very dangerous situation indeed. :nono:
Glad you are OK.

Here in Canada you have to take a boating exam before operating water craft. This started due to the high number of boating accidents. It has helped some but you still get the odd person like you described that can ruin a nice day for you.

I usually fish with just a trolling motor and have had quite a few boaters and jet skiers just rip by me, I have to turn quickly as I can into the wave with the little trolling motor or get swamped.
Why when they have the hole lake do they have to come ripping by when they know you are quietly fishing? I think it is just to be nosey. :P

I have also had a few folks that were fishing come at a fair clip up to my area but then slowly chug by. It's nice to see that sort of thing when a fair number don't care how they drive.

Stay safe everyone and watch out for the show-offs. ::)

WW

Big Burk

« Reply #27 on: Jun 13, 2006, 11:14 PM »
on my last ice fishing trip i was sitting on a green pail close to a ice shanty, i was wearing highly visible colors, broad day light and this moron came flying 10ft away from me almost hit me and he hit my clearly marked tip-up, he was doing at least 65mph. then he came by the other side 5 min. later, then again 5 min. later after that i was pi$$ed and i heard him coming so i made a dozen or two slushballs and winged one at him when he came by, he tried to go by again and i got him right in the chest, came and was mad as hell at me then i start to scream a few foul words at him, he said he would kick my a$$ and by now i was really pi$$ed off and this cocky little ba$tard was 5'8 or so and about 125lbs prolly and he was at least 17 and im 6'1 165lbs of solid muscle (due to school sports and x-treme sports ;D ) long story short he nearly craped his pants when i picked up the ice auger and was heading for the hood of his brand new arctic cat.
later that day the local CO comes over and starts talking with me about the fishing and if anyone was speeding around on an arctic cat. i told him that he ran over my tip-up, nearly hit me so after a few min of talking about the weather, the fishing, ect. he heads off when he sees this guy 400 yards away. saw the same guy on the arctic cat the next day. man was that a well rehearsed apology and he stayed away from other fisherman and slowed down. next time a CO talks to you get on his good side a.s.a.p. it worked for me ;D

in the summer we fish from a dock and most people move out or slow down but you get the odd person mostly on jetskis and speedboats that are just plain retarded and move in a speed up. i have really good aim with my casts now ::)

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #28 on: Jun 16, 2006, 12:57 PM »
Well, I guess not losing my temper paid off.  Not only did I get a check for the stuff that got ruined, but I also got a letter of apology.

pinche

• Amen
« Reply #29 on: Jun 16, 2006, 01:01 PM »
A stand up guy true to his word?

great to hear congrats!!!! :thumbup_smilie:
Rockbassin everyone is doing it !!

Proud member of M.I.R.C. since 2006

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.