FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bassin with slipbob!!! (Updated July 1st action page 3)  (Read 4910 times)

slipbob

Okay I decided to go BASS fishing for the first time in 12 years ::)  Seriously!!  ;)   I don't even have bass tackle but I did find some old packs of Sluggos and some spinnerbaits in one of my old tackleboxes.  I have been catching and eating way more than my share of fat tasty walleyes this year so I really needed a change from that.  A buddy of mine keeps telling me about this certain lake where he's been catching some real nice bass and it's a nice quiet out of the way place to go with a canoe so I figured I'd try it.  I quickly realized I didn't have the right tackle and no weedless lures but I still did OK fishing places that were kind of snag free.  I'm going to get some heavier line and some topwater weedless frog and buzzbait lures and go try again because I think the place is loaded with big bass and a few giants but I couldn't fish the heavy weeds and cover.   Anyway I fished from about 1 to 6pm and found some fish real tight to the bank on some shady shorelines with some brush and few weeds.  I got about a dozen nice bass from 2lbs to about 3 1/2lbs per the digital scale and broke off one real big fish that snapped my line like thread and had another real big fish(about 5lbs) jump right by my canoe and throw the hook.   >:(   Here's some pics and sorry for the bad quality but I wanted to get these fish back in the water as quickly as possible to avoid harming them. 
I guess my old Sluggo's still work okay ;)

I pulled a nice one out of this blowdown.  I pitched my sluggo in under the branches and watched the fish come cruising out and suck it in.  ;D  There seemed to be about one bass per blowdown but I really couldn't get back in there without heavier line.

Pulled a surprise smallie out of this tree.

Switched up to one of my old spinnerbaits and got some on that too.  :D

All in all it was a lot of fun and these big bass fight as hard as I remember.  I'm ordering some bass gear today from Cabela's and if I have it by next weekend I might go try again and see if I can get some of the real big fish I know are in there laying in the heavy weeds and brush.  I need a baitcasting reel and a medium heavy rod and some 30lb Fireline. ;)  My walleye spinning gear was just a little too light for this mission.  ;D

crowkiller

• TASTES LIKE CHICKEN
Re: A little Saturday afternoon bassin with my canoe!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2006, 09:33 AM »
i bet there are some nice cats hidding under that tree n nice bass
OR      [IMG]

tip-uptwo

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2006, 09:33 AM »
Looked like a blast out there Slipbob.....WTG!

OTIS

Nice fish.  Shouldn't you be wearing protective gloves? ;D
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

carpcatcher

Nice fish slipbob, I guess :-\ What the heck are you doing fishing for them when you could be golfing? :whistling:
        Jim
Love 2 fish

Pikeguy

Ooohhhh it's Slipbob the BASSMASTER! I knew he'd break sooner or later. ;D Great pics Slip!

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
Definately what Jim said, but wow -  a mixed bag from Slip  :o

To bad there were not any White Bass in there, you could've throw a hat trick  ;D
   &  Bass

devil-man

Just tell me one thing.
Was it fun?

Lindz

• "Jo Jo Running"
« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2006, 10:29 AM »

Lindz you probably were fishing with me the last time I used some of them sluggos back in about 1987.  :D

I was indeed.  You also laced some a few jumbo Callies then too.  In fact, one of your  4" white Slug-go's was my first go to bait when I landed in Carolina  ;D
   &  Bass

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Are you feeling okay dude?  ??? I think the insurance business is going to your head.  ::) LOL  :D  A "small pond" with water chestnuts?  Some nice downed trees too?  It looks all too familiar  8)  Gear up and you'll get those pigs.  Bass are so simple, aren't they?

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
Slipbob

Playing both sides   :rotflol: :w00t:

Nice job
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
It may look familiar to you and it does at first glance look like some other waters around here but I'd be willing to bet the farm that you've never fished this place and most other "bass guys" in the area never have either ;)  You won't see many bass boats on this lake, in fact you might never see one.  :D  I think this place might just have a fish that's close to 10lbs and most of these fish have never seen a lure. 

Nice.  There's only so many places around here with water chestnuts AND smallmouth bass around here though.  ;)

Nice to see that you are taking advantage of one the capital regions many awesome bass spots.  Take a few of those smallies home and eat'em. I bet they're delicious ;D 

I can't wait to see what you can winch out with the heavy tackle.

BAZOOKAJOE

I thought i was getting dillusional and seeing things!!   ???  Next thing you know...you'll be eating white perch and telling us how delicious they are.   ;D  Nice fish!!  They are a lot of fun...especially out of a canoe/kayak.  Tight lines!!

MXFisher

• One more cast!
Did he!! freeze over or something????? Slipbob and bass, next thing you know eyedoctor and icegeek will be bass fishing.......

Or maybe not.

And those big tasty eyes, lets see the pics of them!!! There much better looking!!

Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

devil-man

Someone must have slipped him a mickey.  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.