FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Just got a 14'Jon Boat need advise  (Read 3669 times)

MnSportsman

• 21 inch Brown. Tied Personal Best, 30 yrs apart
Re: Just got a 14'Jon Boat need advise
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2008, 11:18 AM »
I have a 12' jon boat that I've used for duck hunting & fishing for 10+ years. It has a Johnson 6 hp motor on it. I realize that yours is a 14' boat, which would be heavier, but I'd like to point out something that I figured out the first time out. I weigh about 200 lbs..If you are by yourself, your weight+motor+fuel can (I use a 2-1/2 gal) are in the back of the boat & you open it up you will most likely bring the bow up more that you like/ or are comfortable with & you may even obstruct your view with the  bow. You will most likely want to put some weight forward, toward the bow( I use a cooler/tackle box/etc when fishing & the dog/deke bags when hunting). Placing gear "amidship" will help, but you will most likely want some weight towards the bow regardless, to help with planing out. You can also adjust the way the motor planes , by adjusting the motors' set in the water( the angle the motor sits when you are at high speed. {I didn't see anyone telling you about this adjustment  b4 my post. I may have missed it. I'll let some one else with the right terminology help there}
     As far as speed , I couldn't tell ya, but I usually troll from place to place when fishing & I don't travel that fast either when going out to hunt. (It's not wise to travel fast in the dark ;) )

Good luck & be safe! Wear a PFD
;)

2 Browns & a rainbow                Chubby BlueGills with Shoulders. :)

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
Re: Just got a 14'Jon Boat need advise
« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2008, 03:35 PM »
that's great advice mnsportsman! i do that even with the electric to make it troll better. my v-hull trolls fine, but the jon boat didn't. it took some experimenting to figure it out. and trim is the word you were looking for. good fishing man. ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.