FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake of the Woods  (Read 3484 times)

icebraker

• People who work don't know how to fish!!
Lake of the Woods
« on: Apr 22, 2004, 11:21 PM »
Has anyone fished lake of the woods for largemouth bass? If yes where about?
I fished poplar bay a little last year and have caught some very nice smallmouth bass.
Also what other species are in that lake besides walleye, pike, perch and smallmouth bass?

Thanks in advance
People who work don't know how to fish!!

Ashnohgrimbatul

Re: Lake of the Woods
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2004, 12:20 AM »
Can't help you with the largemouth....not sure if they are in there.

I think that there are a lot of species in Lake of the Woods:  Lake Trout, Rock Bass, Black Crappies, Whitefish for sure....I think Pumpkinseed, Muskies, Bullheads.  I'm probably missing a lot.

Nightcrawler

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2004, 08:44 AM »
I've caught some off a dock in Clearwater bay area. They're definitely in there. I was just pitchin a moss boss into the weeds. Biggest was 18". Neat to actually see one in person as opposed to the thousands you see on t.v. on a single Saturday.

Habanero Bob

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2004, 10:32 PM »
You will not find large populations of largemouth in LOTW yet but there are a few to be found.  You will have much better luck if you head down hwy 71 towards Souix Narrows.  Lobstick Bay off LOTW is the place to go.  It is about a 2 mile run down Lobstick from Souix Narrows.  Look for pencil weeds and cast black plastic worms or imitation crayfish using a weighted long shanked jig.  Northerns are in there too so you may want to try a leader.  Make sure you have heavy tackle.  If you get your hook into the pencil weeds they are tough to get out.  You can also try a weedless buzz bait or spoon.  Nothin' like a big ol' bucketmouth launching out of the water to take your bait!

icebraker

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2004, 11:43 PM »
Thanks for the hint!!

Cant wait to get out there.

Hey Habanaro Bob do you fish LOTW often. I am heading out or plannig to anyway at the end of june or beginning of july is that a good time to go?

Habanero Bob

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 10:44 PM »
hi Icebraker - yes i do fish LOTW from kenora quite often.  i have never fished buffalo bay in the south.  Late June and early July are fine for Walleye.  all bass fishing is catch and release for june.  Walleye are likely transitioning from bays / points onto the reefs.  you will likely find them at 18 - 25 ft depths in July.  in the morning / evening you can cast crank baits into shallow rocky shorelines or near weedbeds.  Jigging on the reefs with leeches and live minnows seems to be the most productive. 

if you have a boat and head out onto the lake make sure you have a good nav map (you can purchase from Canadian Tire in Kenora) and a good compass.  on LOTW it is very easy to loose your bearings.  also look at the map carefully and watch out for the rocks.  just ask Grumpy Moe how many props and skegs i took out last year.  the  number is more than one and fortunately less than three.  however, it is one beatiful lake especially if you get more then 7-10 miles down the lake from kenora.  great islands to have shore lunches and camp. ... Habanero Bob

icebraker

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 10:52 PM »
Thanks for the info Habanero Bob

I am headig out on the 27th of June to the 2nd of July. I can't wait to get out there, hope that the water levels are up a bit this year tho. The smallmouth fishing and walleye should be amazing. Ya the lake is beutifull.

icebraker

Fish Seeker

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 06:32 PM »
What does clearwater have as services.  I'm guessing gas, convenience store and bait?
I was hoping to leave from there to do some camping out of the boat.

Is there anywhere to park a vehicle and trailer? ???

Fish Seeker

Ashnohgrimbatul

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 09:21 PM »

Is there anywhere to park a vehicle and trailer? ???

Fish Seeker

Yes.

Unless you are planning to drive a fair distance by boat, the fishing is not that great (around Clearwater Bay, Rush Bay...etc).

Fish Seeker

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 01:45 PM »
We were thinking of fishing Ptarmigan bay or on the south side of the Northern Peninsula.

Reason for Clearwater as the place to put in is simply to reduce driving time by vehicle.

Do you have any tips?

Fish Seeker

Habanero Bob

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 09:15 PM »
Another choice of entry to Lake of the Woods is Annicinabi Park simply because of the excellent boat launch (free), reasonably secure parking and camp grounds to boot ( its on the east side of Kenora)   Also the advantages of nearby shopping for food (Safeway), tackle, gas, fast food make it worthwhile driving the extra 25 minutes.

You can also launch at the Kenora Rec centre (across the road from the Lakeside Inn - Best Western Hotel.  Parking is not secure as with Annichinabi

From this location you have close access to the whole Rat Portage Bay and the channels leading into it.  Good walleye, bass, northern and musky fishing.  Please make sure you get a good hydrographic map first - otherwise you will get lost and likely end up with a shorter lower unit if you know what I mean.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.