FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Carp kabobs!!!  (Read 7102 times)

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
Carp kabobs!!!
« on: Jun 04, 2008, 01:09 PM »

SAVING THE WORLD ONE CARP AT A TIME ;D

It's a little early still for the Gorge but it has begun! It was tough spotting them in the murky water but they were everywhere! It took a lot of patients but my bros and I got a few. Too bad for them I didn't have my fly rod along ;) I wish my boat cover would have gotten here so I could have been jigging for Lakers but hey....  BTW, I talked to a guy who was catching Ling/Burbot with night crawlers from the bank Saturday night in Squaw Hallow. Thought that was interesting...

hoythunter

• best plce to be on the water
Re: Carp kabobs!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2008, 01:23 PM »
nice shootin how many did ya get
the best place to be   on,in,or on top of the water, may your lines be tight where ever you may roam

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2008, 05:58 PM »
Maybe a dozen. Not nearly as many as usual. Too muddy. But it was fun 8)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2008, 07:00 PM »
What do you use for a reel? I have been thinking of setting up an older compound bow for fishing, but I am unsure what kind of spool/retrieve to use. I have shot a laminated bow with a metal spool on it, but I think a retrieve would be a step up.... ???

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2008, 10:56 PM »
What do you use for a reel? I have been thinking of setting up an older compound bow for fishing, but I am unsure what kind of spool/retrieve to use. I have shot a laminated bow with a metal spool on it, but I think a retrieve would be a step up.... ???
I have used a reel that I made from an old plastic scooter rim since I was a kid. I've got it mounted on an old Bear Whitetail Hunter compound. Recently I upgraded to an AMS Retriever jug style reel for my PSE Kingfisher. The AMS Retriever is great! When the shooting is hot you don't waist much time with missed shots. It retrieves very quickly so you can be ready for that next shot ASAP. They seem kind of pricey for what they are but if you shoot on a regular basis they're worth it. (I wonder if my neighbor's little sister ever found out what happend to her scooter rims  ??? :D )

My home made reel. Over ten years and going strong. Notice the spring that keeps the line from uncoiling. A little all-thread, a plastic scooter rim and some twine and you're set! (not bad for a 13 year old kid  :) )

AMS Retriever reel. After two seasons I've never had an issue with this reel. Very fast and not much drag on your arrow.

POk3s

• Hey looky there....I got a bite!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2008, 02:10 PM »
SWEET! Always wanted to do that just never get a set-up! Lookos like a pretty sweet home made one!!!
Trent Williams<br /><br />Green River WOLVES<br />Wyoming COWBOYS<br /><br />

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Thanks for putting the pic up. 8)

I think I may go with the AMF. The other option that I was exploring was a mama huge zebco spincast reel on a stub of a rod that threads into the counter balance hole. I'm sure it would work, but I am afraid for my eyes in case I forget to push the cast button before I shoot.

Does the AMF have a "cast button" to forget about? I normally wear polarized sunglasses when I bow fish, but I don't need to take any chances.

hoythunter

• best plce to be on the water
« Reply #7 on: Jun 05, 2008, 05:16 PM »
no it does not have a cast button you shoot and then squeeze a handle and reel it in
the best place to be   on,in,or on top of the water, may your lines be tight where ever you may roam

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2008, 05:33 PM »
Sweeeet... ;D

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2008, 07:49 PM »
Like hoythunter mentioned, there's no botton. It's always "free spooling" until you pull the retriever handle. personally I like to pull the fish in by hand but you can "reel" them in too. It's not made to fight the fish directly on the reel it's self but you can hold the handle down, pull the fish in a little and then quickly reel in the slack and repeat. I prefer to pull in by hand and then reel up the slack afterward. Yeah, in the excitement of the moment I'd DEFINITELY be one to forget to push the cast button on the Zebco  :D ! But they work great too.

moski

« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2008, 07:54 PM »
nice pics man! i just got into it last year with a buddy of mine! i got the wheel style like yours but it needs some work!
the mack attack is on

minnowguy

« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2008, 11:27 PM »
I found ebay has the best price for the aims reels. My wife and I both use them Ive had mine for years it works great ya dont have to worry about dodging an arrow when the string gets hung up like the spool types. Got a 16 lb'er last year out of the big horn river post a pic later. M.G.

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #12 on: Jun 06, 2008, 03:53 PM »
nice pics man! i just got into it last year with a buddy of mine! i got the wheel style like yours but it needs some work!
Check out the far back of Buckboard bay and S. buckboard bay if you're going out soon ;)  Also hear Lost Gog but not sure where exactly.

MountainMan

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Fish Painter
« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Lost "Gog", yeah, that's my new secret spot. Not, I meant "Dog"  :P

M.G. lets see the pic of that fish. I should have weighed these. My bro's was a hog.

minnowguy

« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2008, 02:18 PM »
Here is my carp from last year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.