FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: SNAKEHEAD CAUGHT ORANGE COUNTY  (Read 11858 times)

THEOZON

SNAKEHEAD CAUGHT ORANGE COUNTY
« on: Jul 02, 2008, 02:06 PM »
This is a northern snakehead caught via electro-fishing in an Orange County stream. I have a sort of confirmed report of a rather large (20-30 inch) specimen caught in the same area (a pond associated with the stream). The department has a team there today developing a containment and eradication plan. They (Region 3 Fisheries) are being very aggressive with this problem. Of course - Region 3 usually is.

mr.clean

Re: SNAKEHEAD CAUGHT ORANGE COUNTY
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2008, 03:16 PM »
Theozon,
   Do you have any more information on this incident or know if there is a posting on the D.E.C.'s website . National Geographic television channel had a program on Snake Heads recently they are aggressive feeders and prolific breeders there population can multiply rapidly . The species is native to the Asian continent and is eaten by some people.
   The fact this fish was caught in a stream is troubling ,the forementioned program reported on a pond in Maryland that had to be poisoned . They thought the problem was contained until  fish were caught in tributaries of the Potomac river.
    Thank you for the post .

Steve

jjf

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2008, 03:55 PM »
i saw the same program on nat geo and this is not good :-\

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2008, 04:25 PM »
too many lakes, streams, and rivers in orange/ rockland area, including the hudson river. this could be really bad. think of them getting into the hudson!!!!that would put them in all waters connected to the river! that's more than half of new york!

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

NoGood

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2008, 06:24 PM »
This is what I found out

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080627/NEWS/80627022/-1/NEWS12

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080628/NEWS/806280318

Btw the Northern Snakehead is not new to New York they found 1 in 2005 in Meadow Lake in Queens.

jeg in albany

« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2008, 10:10 AM »
Snakeheads are sold in the aquarium industry.  I'm guessing some geniuses decided it would be a good idea to release them into local waters when they outgrew their fish tanks.

Or after they ate all of their tankmates.

MXFisher

• One more cast!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2008, 11:08 AM »
Snakeheads are sold in the aquarium industry.  I'm guessing some geniuses decided it would be a good idea to release them into local waters when they outgrew their fish tanks.

Or after they ate all of their tankmates.

And look at the hoops we have to jump thru when it comes to bait fish.......

Looks like they need to regulate them just as much as us.

That shouldn't be legal IMHO
Fishing is not a pastime, it's a way of life.

mr.clean

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2008, 10:53 AM »
Greetings,
   There was an article in yesterdays (July 9, 2008) Times Herald Record saying that the D.E.C. is considering using the pesticide rotenone to kill off all fish in Ridgebury Lake and Catlin Creek (town of Wawayanda) from the lake to a pond next to Route 6. Public comment period ends July 16.
   The Times Herald Record's website is  www.recordonline.com

Steve

Tim Smith

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2008, 11:03 AM »
Grim, grim, grim.

Take it easy on those DNR guys if you do send in comments.  Those lakes will come back.  The snakeheads will never go away once they're in.  Maybe it's already too late...those rotenone kills don't always work...but maybe it's worth a try.

At this point the aquarium people are bigger trouble makers than anyone where exotics are concerned.  South Florida is a veritable menagerie of exotic fish. 

Anyone know a good recipe for snakehead?

nick733

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2008, 03:41 PM »
those things are fugly >:( i would crap my pants if i yarded in one of those nasty things
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." -Dan Quayle

pyle

« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2008, 07:27 AM »
I had one in a 55 gal tank a few years ago. It was a nasty SOB. And wouldnt die. It jumped out of my tank and was out of water for over 4 hours and still lived!!! I was fixing the filter one day and it even bit me.  I hope they stop those things cause they will eat anything they can fit in there mouth and then some :-\

ICE ADDICT

« Reply #11 on: Jul 11, 2008, 12:08 PM »
I witnessed some guy catch 3 or 4 of them in a row at a marina on Grand Island in Buffalo N.Y.  I couldn't believe my eyes  :o :o. He didn't know what they were but I knew right away.........NOT GOOD!!!
We all believe in something,...I believe I'll go fishin'....

J Kell

« Reply #12 on: Jul 11, 2008, 04:05 PM »
If you catch them in Jersey you are supposed to Report it in to NJ Fish and Wildlife. Im not to sure what they do them though? Possibly Kill it?

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2008, 07:17 AM »
I witnessed some guy catch 3 or 4 of them in a row at a marina on Grand Island in Buffalo N.Y.  I couldn't believe my eyes  :o :o. He didn't know what they were but I knew right away.........NOT GOOD!!!

Did you let him let them go?

jjf

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12, 2008, 11:20 AM »
now these things are in western NY ??? when did that happen? Was that reported to the DEC?

If you anyone catchs these things don't throw them back, kill them , throw them in garbage bag or something

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.