FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418921 times)

The Mayor

Re: SALMON RIVER SPRING STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #60 on: Mar 18, 2009, 11:12 AM »
Where's Oneida lake? SSSSSSHHHHHHH!! At last count redfield was up to about 360 inches, about same as last year! Lots of melt left for South Sandy! Just starting to see the ground around altmar last couple of days!
   Snagger,     Oh I forgot you've been ice fishing at the lower res for the giant perch.  Do me a favor and let me know when North & South Muscle Shell Creek are ready. Don't exactly know when I'm coming up, I have a Dr's appt. Fri & another one on Mon. Have to wait & see what they say, but I do feel much better.   THE  MAYOR

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: SALMON RIVER SPRING 09 STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #61 on: Mar 18, 2009, 03:50 PM »
River Update: Winter conditions still rule the river even though the air is warming. Most my guys are out west, but did have a guy staying here yesterday land a 38 inch, 20.1 lb. male steelhead out of the school house pool. Took him 25 minutes to land it on 4 lb. line. He said fishing was just average with only a few other fish on and not many bank fisherman, but quite a few boats went thru in the morning. The river has settled down a little to 1200-1500 cfs range. creeks are up a little since yesterday, especially the Sandies.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

fishman

« Reply #62 on: Mar 18, 2009, 07:04 PM »
just curious, how high is 1800 cfs, 1600 cfs, 1400 cfs etc.  i know it is cubic feet (per) second but that really means nothing to me so i'm wondering what that actually looks like.  any pics to show different levels?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

SNAGGER

« Reply #63 on: Mar 18, 2009, 10:05 PM »
 Don't know how to do pictures yet, I'm new to a computer, but 185-335 cfs is cosidered low, 385-750 is a normal late fall/winter level(great level for fishing smaller runs), 750 -1250 is the best level in upper river for a bank angler. 1250-1700 starting to get high,( but my favorite level for fishing bobbers in pools in altmar area), and after 1800 it's tuff for the bank angler. 2500-12,000 is flood stage. If you have ever been up during salmon season it runs usually between 285-385. The upper river can hold more water, after 750 lower river can get tricky( except at the DSR)! Hope this helps! Hey NORTHWOODS where have you been!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

bunker killer

« Reply #64 on: Mar 19, 2009, 05:45 AM »
hey Snagger, Whats your prediction for April ?

fishman

« Reply #65 on: Mar 19, 2009, 05:48 AM »
Don't know how to do pictures yet, I'm new to a computer

thanks for the numbers, now i have a better picture of it.  anyways, i found this guide to posting pics on iceshanty and am guessing it would work here as well. here it is http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.0.  i haven't tried it yet cause i keep forgetting the camera but should work.

fishman
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #66 on: Mar 19, 2009, 06:32 AM »
just curious, how high is 1800 cfs, 1600 cfs, 1400 cfs etc.  i know it is cubic feet (per) second but that really means nothing to me so i'm wondering what that actually looks like.  any pics to show different levels?

1800 cfs.  the river was actually spilling over its banks in low areas. If you got more than knee deep, you would feel your self sliding on the river bed.

SNAGGER

« Reply #67 on: Mar 19, 2009, 10:43 AM »
hey Snagger, Whats your prediction for April ?
With the weather pattern were in now(snows are going fast in the sun, refreezing at night) The steelies are going to start coming in the creeks from now til end of april in smaller pockets. Not in one big ball, like last year. I'm off the ice two weeks earlier than last year and no snow on my lawn, also two weeks earlier. The biggest april runs will be timed with rainfalls in the creeks. Still alot of snow for orwell,trout brooks,little,south sandies, but no snow for other creeks left! LOOKS EARLY!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #68 on: Mar 19, 2009, 10:47 AM »
i think you might be right snagger and the  best part is fishing for steelies and not freezing lol hope to catch you on the river
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

SNAGGER

« Reply #69 on: Mar 19, 2009, 03:46 PM »
Had a guy fish the river today at the schoolhouse area. He got 3 nice(4-5lb.) browns on small jigs under a float, he released them and got a couple steelie hook ups bottom bouncing also. He also noticed more boats running the river mid day instead of daybreak! Due to the recession, the river still not that crowded!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

lpv89

« Reply #70 on: Mar 19, 2009, 04:17 PM »
nothing like jig fishing under a bobber!
Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

fishman

« Reply #71 on: Mar 19, 2009, 05:02 PM »
what size jigs do you use, and what size hooks for say, three in trout worms/egg sacks/earthworm?
thanks
fishman

oh, and thinking of going up to altmar Saturday to fish the hole behind the school so any bait shops in the town?

Issiah

« Reply #72 on: Mar 19, 2009, 07:54 PM »
There is a couple bait shops right there near the Schoolhouse Pool;  You can't miss em'    If your getting off at 81 there is some real nice ones, again you can't miss em'.   You won't have much trouble finding bait, gear,advice, ect. around the salmon river    If you stop at the Big Fat Nancy's Bait shop there is usually a guy or two there that will help you with picking out hooks ect...

SNAGGER

« Reply #73 on: Mar 19, 2009, 11:06 PM »
what size jigs do you use, and what size hooks for say, three in trout worms/egg sacks/earthworm?
thanks
fishman

oh, and thinking of going up to altmar Saturday to fish the hole behind the school so any bait shops in the town?
#6 or #8 quality hooks for sacs and such, 1/32,1/16,1/8 for jigs, different sizes(black marabou(1/16) with various colored heads has been good,but there's a million combinations that work) I don't want to start any tackle shop wars, but I carry the basics at my house for my guys, then I send all my customers to Jimmy Dence's place "All Season's Sports"Next to 81 for the other 90%. He's a great guy with a huge selection of gear at good prices!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

wiredstone

« Reply #74 on: Mar 20, 2009, 05:51 AM »
I will be up next Friday night . So far it is 2 of us,maybe three. Do you have line and hooks at the house ?
wooo fish on. Never mind

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.