FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread  (Read 418916 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: 09 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD BS Thread
« Reply #750 on: Jul 23, 2009, 11:24 AM »
 I went to meetings with 40 guides and business owners! Everybody had there own agenda! Nobody agreed on anything! We just need silly laws off the books, we should be able to do anything we feel is necessary to catch fish in the Salmon River! If you want to float a bobber do it, if you want to plug for them do it , run 10 feet of lead, then do it , try spinners, if you want fly fish for them, then do it, or  whatever... At certain times of the year, one method is going to work alot better than another, there's where the problem starts. People get Jealous and petition to get rid of that method or control it! Pinning seems to be the method of choice right now, like big leaders were 15 years ago! Ask the guides how it works in mid March threw Mid April when the River is full of Cold snowmelt! They go back to sight fishing or plugging. That's the way it should be, FREEDOM to fish whatever way you feel is Necessary!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

fishingjason

« Reply #751 on: Jul 23, 2009, 01:01 PM »
I went to meetings with 40 guides and business owners! Everybody had there own agenda! Nobody agreed on anything! We just need silly laws off the books, we should be able to do anything we feel is necessary to catch fish in the Salmon River! If you want to float a bobber do it, if you want to plug for them do it , run 10 feet of lead, then do it , try spinners, if you want fly fish for them, then do it, or  whatever... At certain times of the year, one method is going to work alot better than another, there's where the problem starts. People get Jealous and petition to get rid of that method or control it! Pinning seems to be the method of choice right now, like big leaders were 15 years ago! Ask the guides how it works in mid March threw Mid April when the River is full of Cold snowmelt! They go back to sight fishing or plugging. That's the way it should be, FREEDOM to fish whatever way you feel is Necessary!
It was interesting to see the seasonal differance in fishing techniques this past season.
During the coldest months bottom bouncing stoneflies and the such seemed to be more effective than bottom bouncing or floating eggs/egg patterns.
Anglers seemed to have better success Fall and Spring floating eggs/egg patterns. Just my personal observation.
I have fished the river only long enough to see the weight restriction in the fly zone. I fish all areas of the river except the "private" area. I guess if I had to look at all the restrictions postively I would say it is a challenge moving around and adjusting tackle and methods in order to be in compliance from zone to zone.
Interesting debate!
Again I am fairly new to the river having only fished it for about five years.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #752 on: Jul 23, 2009, 01:01 PM »
Well...maybe i shouldn't run for public office.  My economic plan might have as many loopholes as Obama's.   ;D  But i sure spend a lot of money everytime i go to Pulaski.

Just put this in your pipe and smoke it:  snagging is illegal and always will be...so really there's no sense in dreaming that's it's going to change.  IMO there's too many people fishing the river now anyways.   8)

KingPerch

« Reply #753 on: Jul 23, 2009, 01:04 PM »
and really the  lead chip thing isn't humorist a lot of  children died and  did  become ill because of that , thats  rather a sad comment
I agree :cookoo:
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

fishmaster13184

« Reply #754 on: Jul 23, 2009, 01:13 PM »
  ;D  But i sure spend a lot of money everytime i go to Pulaski.

i agree those $100 lifting tickets are getting old and i dont even keep those nasty old things ;D

KingPerch

« Reply #755 on: Jul 23, 2009, 01:43 PM »
SNAGGER, JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE YANKEES ARE IN FIRST PLACE NOW!!!!!LOL ;D

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #756 on: Jul 23, 2009, 01:49 PM »
what was that perch  would you say that a little louder please  ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #757 on: Jul 23, 2009, 01:57 PM »
what was that perch  would you say that a little louder please  ;D
GO YANKEES!!! Feel better now Trap!!!LOL

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #758 on: Jul 23, 2009, 02:00 PM »
i agree those $100 lifting tickets are getting old and i dont even keep those nasty old things ;D

...at Fat Nancy's! 

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #759 on: Jul 23, 2009, 02:45 PM »
SNAGGER, JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE YANKEES ARE IN FIRST PLACE NOW!!!!!LOL ;D
I haven't got to watch a RED SOX game in so long, I don't even know why were loosing so much lately!  Now you just ruined a perfectly nice rainy day KP! I had forgotten those slimy YANKEES had moved back into first place! I guess I'm going to half to take out my anger on some EYES!  ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #760 on: Jul 23, 2009, 03:20 PM »
hey perch , who the hell are the red soxs????????????
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

bunker killer

« Reply #761 on: Jul 23, 2009, 03:29 PM »
The RED SUCKSWhat do they play Hockey

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #762 on: Jul 23, 2009, 03:49 PM »
Went up to see Snagger and took a walk down with my salmon gear to check the river out before i went walleye fishin on oneida today. Low and behold when i got to the ballpark there were a few FRESH kings in there :o Must have been the rain that brought them up! Ended up losing 6 and landed one 20pound beauty! Can't believe that they are already comin in the river! It was awesome! Tight lines
Nice job findin em

Issiah

« Reply #763 on: Jul 23, 2009, 03:58 PM »
That's Crazy!   Must be the cooler temps this summer

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #764 on: Jul 23, 2009, 04:13 PM »
Went up to see Snagger and took a walk down with my salmon gear to check the river out before i went walleye fishin on oneida today. Low and behold when i got to the ballpark there were a few FRESH kings in there :o Must have been the rain that brought them up! Ended up losing 6 and landed one 20pound beauty! Can't believe that they are already comin in the river! It was awesome! Tight lines

Did you snag it?  J/K  That must have been AWESOME!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.