FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cayuga Lake Salmon and Lake Trout  (Read 251743 times)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
Re: Cayuga Lake Salmon and Lake Trout
« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2009, 11:46 AM »
It's located on Highland ave, just north of thurston on the north west side of campus (north of fall creek).  Dunbars was our second home LOL, and the fall creek house for happpy hour.  Going out on the north end of cayuga for perch saturday.  Should be interesting I hope!
I know where your talking about! "Fall creekhouse" frank still own it, I grew up 3 blocks from it! I spent more than a couple of years in there! Hope you do good perch fishing,theres monsters in that lake!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

avhnt9365

« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2009, 11:52 AM »
My family used to own a camp on como before my time. I havent tried fishing it yet, heard its a real mud pit. I'm just itching to go fishing. Cant wait until next wednesday. Went out first day last year before work and I kept getting iceballs on the end of my pole and the line would get stuck so I would have to clean out the eyelet to reel in. It supposed to be real nice saturday and as you read in my otisco post I am getting a fly rod. Might have to practice with that in the back yard before I go out next week. I used my neighbors once last year and couldnt get the fly out there had a huge knot in the tippet. And AV is fine, thats my initals and hnt is just cause i love hunting. Had to come up with a handle and thats the one I have in all the other forums. Thanks for the info.

SNAGGER

« Reply #32 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:09 PM »
My family used to own a camp on como before my time. I havent tried fishing it yet, heard its a real mud pit. I'm just itching to go fishing. Cant wait until next wednesday. Went out first day last year before work and I kept getting iceballs on the end of my pole and the line would get stuck so I would have to clean out the eyelet to reel in. It supposed to be real nice saturday and as you read in my otisco post I am getting a fly rod. Might have to practice with that in the back yard before I go out next week. I used my neighbors once last year and couldnt get the fly out there had a huge knot in the tippet. And AV is fine, thats my initals and hnt is just cause i love hunting. Had to come up with a handle and thats the one I have in all the other forums. Thanks for the info.
Go to ludlowville and walk down to the high bridge and back(hit the falls and below too!) about 7 days after season opens you won't regret it!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

avhnt9365

« Reply #33 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:24 PM »
Where is ludlowville? Never heard of it.

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #34 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:52 PM »
I also tried over behind Yaman Beach but I didnt have any luck. Up on Albany street in Homer was a good spot for me last year but it died out. Fall creek is that the one between Summerhill and Locke? Doesnt look like its deep enough for little cleos or any luers. Friday i am going out and buying my first fly rod. My neighbor has one and he outfished me last year big time everytime we went out.

Yaman Park is actually really good, but you have to go UPSTREAM from the lake...  It is nice and deep below the I-81 bridge and fishes well all the way to Wendy's...  Check it out after the opener, and you should find fish right up into late May.

I never fished Cortland after May because college was over by then.

The Fall Creek I am referring to is the same one you are thinking of (between Summerhill and Locke)...  I know it looks paltry, but it is decieving...  It is surely better fly rod water, but if you cast a little Panther Martin under the Rt90 bridge you will find some browns, some NICE brookies (they outsize the browns in that trickle) and maybe some 8" smallies...

I don't know if that "Fall Creek" is the same that ends up dumping into Cayuga by Ithaca, but I suspect it is not.

I don't want to give away all the Cortland honey-holes, but if you park at the Fall Creek pulloff and walk UPRIVER (don't cross the road) you will find some nice pools and some pretty big wetlands.  Just stay off the farmers property on the north side, that dude is pretty grumpy  :D

There is also an old quarry pit somewhere off Rt 281 towards Homer, but I forget just where.  I only fished it a few times (at night with my buddies) and we slayed a lot of nice bass in there.  Way better than Little York.

Lastly, take a ride out to the town of Scott and fish that park at the south end of Skaneatles...  Nice trails out to a point on the lake, and this time of year you can find EVERYTHING there...  Trout in the early season, and bass all summer long.

Cortland has a good fishery, it just isn't all that scenic sometimes  :D

If you're buying a fly rod you are going to have  much better shot at trout around there.  Cast an elk-hair caddis or hare's ear nymph in the Tiognioga and you will EASILY outfish all the hillbillies dunking worms behind P&C.  They used to look at me like I had three heads when I would show up with waders and a 3wt...  Then their attitude would change quickly once I started hauling out brown after brown in there...  Funny memories of the good ol' days at C-State!!!

Ask the guys at the Cortland Line Factory Store on 281 to help you out.  You will get a GREAT deal on a rod there, and you simply could NOT be closer to a great little outlet store!  Awesome guys in there usually.  I used to give them free Pudgie's Pizza in exchange for all kinds of stuff back in the day.  Pizza Delivery had it's advantages in that little college town!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

SNAGGER

« Reply #35 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Where is ludlowville? Never heard of it.
It's a cayuga lake trib. near Lansing and fall creek does dump into Cayuga lake.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

avhnt9365

« Reply #36 on: Mar 26, 2009, 02:23 PM »
Haha that quarry is what we call Homer Pits, suit kote used to get there stuff outta there. There is a private pond back there that I fished once. Wow talk about some nice bass. Your right, they were huge. Cant do that anymore the owner posted it and told me it wasnt part of suit kote's. Its up off of 11 though isnt it, 281 is the other side of Little York lake. My neighbor told me to go to Cortland Line and thats where I am going. Its funny you said that to. Your thinking of Grout Brook up at the south end of skinny. I hear thats really busy, went there last year to for about an hour and nothing but a guy that comes to work often lives up there and he says they are up there so thick right now you can walk accross the water and not get wet. Snagger says that its the same Fall creek that dumps into Cayuga, must go through Groton then on down to the lake.

jastown11

« Reply #37 on: Mar 27, 2009, 09:56 AM »
Thanks Jimmy for the info. I fished next to McDonalds last year but it gets crowded once they stock it. All the dirtbags come out and destroy it, and keep anything longer than a minnow. I never thought about the Wendys side of the bridge, might have to try it, nobody is over there. I also tried over behind Yaman Beach but I didnt have any luck. Up on Albany street in Homer was a good spot for me last year but it died out. Fall creek is that the one between Summerhill and Locke? Doesnt look like its deep enough for little cleos or any luers. Friday i am going out and buying my first fly rod. My neighbor has one and he outfished me last year big time everytime we went out. Snagger what you know about Otisco at the causeway? Fished last year for eyes up there but froze I disagree off doing it in October.

Otisco causeway 4 AM in May, crankbaits = husky jerks, xrap, real slow retrieve or just leave in place and jig, can tip with a bit of minnow even if jigging.

Hooked

« Reply #38 on: Mar 28, 2009, 07:18 PM »
I'll be out there at T Park Sunday morning first thing in the rain, see what's happenning.  Checked out Fall Cr. today from both bridges and saw fish from both, suckers, too.  Water is super-clear and on the low side, but not too bad.  Sunday's rain could just make things perfect for Wednesday and beyond?  I don't know.  Either way, I'll be on S end in waders and canoe these next few months.

Hooked

« Reply #39 on: Mar 28, 2009, 07:19 PM »
SNAGGER:  'd you go on vacation?  Has anyone ever had luck NIGHT-fishing Cayuga?  Old guy told me about lighted bobbers at T-Park for browns. 

Hooked

« Reply #40 on: Mar 29, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Fished sunday AM at north point T-Park, and between 3 of us landed one keeper salmon, no other bites.  Saw a few fish, even swimming, following, right up to the pier.  Water's still cold = ~39.  There's fish in the tribs, though, saw them stacked high, surface slashing, etc. at one spot.  don't know if tonight's rain will flush them out or if they'll still be there Wed...raining hard down here tonight. 

SNAGGER

« Reply #41 on: Mar 29, 2009, 07:38 PM »
Hey ICE-T real busy weekend for me up here! Alot of fishing going on right now. Where are you thinking about going for the opener?
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

sportsmenoftheyear

« Reply #42 on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:17 PM »
ive fished at night mid summer with bait and lures and havent gotten one hit.  there is so much bait in the water rising and jumping its insane you can listen to them all night and if you shine a light in the water see the schools right underneath the boat.

SNAGGER

« Reply #43 on: Mar 29, 2009, 08:33 PM »
SNAGGER:  'd you go on vacation?  Has anyone ever had luck NIGHT-fishing Cayuga?  Old guy told me about lighted bobbers at T-Park for browns. 
MID JUNE!   DOCKS JUST LEFT OF SWIMMING AREA!  Use a slip bobber 6-10 feet down under the mooneye schools! You can also use a lantern to make your orange floats visible, those light up bobbers are so big and got to keep buying batteries!  SPRING IS EARLY THIS YEAR, start checking for sawbellies at daybreak around june 1st!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

sportsmenoftheyear

« Reply #44 on: Mar 30, 2009, 08:46 AM »
MID JUNE!   DOCKS JUST LEFT OF SWIMMING AREA! 

aka "south pt."  how do u get ur own sawbellies gold treble? or cast net?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.