FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: RUBBER BAITS ?  (Read 19091 times)

gamefisher

Re: RUBBER BAITS ?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 06:35 AM »
Not sure I can buy the whole goverment conspiracy theory on this one.  Even the State would be hard pressed to put one of their most respected bios. right out front on the issue without some merit.  One doesn't need to be a scientist to know there is a digestion problem for a 12" trout with an 8" plastic lizard in its stomach :blink:
OUCH ;D

Bottom line is regardless of what one fishes for if we know there are more fish friendly bait options available is wouldn't all sportsmen use them ???

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 07:10 AM »
I have no intention of giving up my plastic baits unless they are made illegal to use.  If that happens, I'll comply. I just ordered a bunch more last night.  ;D  There's an awful lot of other trash out there (discarded fishing line, rubber bands, etc.) that a part of the problem as well.   

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 07:22 AM »
People find cigarette butts inside trout all the time, should the state make it illegal to smoke while fishing?

gamefisher

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 07:49 AM »
My point is simply we know there are better alternatives out there, wether law or not so why wouldn't we use them ???  We can't save the world from all it's problems but we can certainly control what we do and how we do it. ;)

Jim C.

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 08:23 AM »
Some folks love S-13 because of the freedom it gives them to take as many bass as they want.  Works for them.  On the other side of the coin, until there's an "S-whatever" that restricts my use of plastics, I'm going to enjoy the freedom I have to use the baits I want.  Works for me.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.   ;D

hardwatergrampa

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 08:36 AM »
The only ones I have seen are in fish that have been killed by fisherman and opened up .  I have not heard anything about a bunch of dead fish showing up with plastic in there gut ??  It can't be good for them ,But I'm not sure its a big problem .
thats because the pike ate them  ;D

gamefisher

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 08:59 AM »
Some folks love S-13 because of the freedom it gives them to take as many bass as they want.  Works for them.  On the other side of the coin, until there's an "S-whatever" that restricts my use of plastics, I'm going to enjoy the freedom I have to use the baits I want.  Works for me.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.   ;D

Very surprised to read this from you Jim as I know what a good multi specie angler your are.  Again, my point was simply if we know there safer alternatives out there why not use them, not a legal right and wrong thing.  And your assessment of an s-13 code is actually kind of backwards.  People generally don't fish s-13 ponds because they want to catch a lot of bass, in fact the opposite is true.  S-13 codes are inacted on ponds where bass have been introduced into trout and salmon waters as a control mechanism.  The hope is to actually catch very few but I would agree with you somewhat ineffective once pop. is established.

Think I'll take a drive without my seat belt on and then make sure I don't wear my helmet tonight when I take the motorcycle out. ;D

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 09:27 AM »

I could not agree with you more, Jim. I think we just have to be more careful in disposing our plastic baits. We need to try to keep them in the boat or on shore and throw them away when we're done.

Jim C.

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 09:40 AM »
Thanks for your comments about being a good multi species angler.  Relative to the S-13 stuff, I can't really agree that people don't use the S-13 to target a lot of bass.  There have been enough posts here to show that they do.  

Anybody that has fished with me knows that I am OCD about trash of all kinds in the enviromment.  Maybe with time, I will consider alternatives to plastic baits, even if it's not mandated by law.  Right now, I'm probably wound up pretty tight about stuff like lay-offs, pay cuts, etc.  I'm not alone in that I know.  It's the wrong time to be asked to bear the expense of replacing lures.

Very surprised to read this from you Jim as I know what a good multi specie angler your are.  Again, my point was simply if we know there safer alternatives out there why not use them, not a legal right and wrong thing.  And your assessment of an s-13 code is actually kind of backwards.  People generally don't fish s-13 ponds because they want to catch a lot of bass, in fact the opposite is true.  S-13 codes are inacted on ponds where bass have been introduced into trout and salmon waters as a control mechanism.  The hope is to actually catch very few but I would agree with you somewhat ineffective once pop. is established.

Think I'll take a drive without my seat belt on and then make sure I don't wear my helmet tonight when I take the motorcycle out. ;D

jacksmelt

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 09:54 AM »
weve just recently had bass intro. into our waters up here but ive been using plastics for 7yrs. now  for coldwater species and prefer that over any hard baits. i treat my used torn baits as i would any other manmade lure. when its outlived its use, throw it in the trash. fine people that throw thier baits overboard instead of banning them all together. its the same people that do this that leave thier trash and beer bottles at the boat launches and shore lines. trash is trash . treat them the same. if people used common sense and gave a darn about the waters and the fish in them, we wouldnt have this issue in the first place. banning the stuff wont make a difference! i do think that if you can substitute the biodegradable stuff for the reg. stuff you should do it but it shouldnt be a written law. my 2 cents.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

gamefisher

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 10:02 AM »
Thanks for your comments about being a good multi species angler.  Relative to the S-13 stuff, I can't really agree that people don't use the S-13 to target a lot of bass.  There have been enough posts here to show that they do.  

I believe I remember the post you are referring to.  My guess is in that instance that person would have been far happier to have gone to that particular storied trout pond and have caught only 1 nice trout to post..... :-\

Maybe with time, I will consider alternatives to plastic baits, even if it's not mandated by law.  Right now, I'm probably wound up pretty tight about stuff like lay-offs, pay cuts, etc.  I'm not alone in that I know.  It's the wrong time to be asked to bear the expense of replacing lures.

Understood. 8)

livinbass

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 03:24 PM »
I agree 100 %   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Kill'em all!

Ya but then they will be like the trout and haft to be stocked and that inreturn will up the price to our licenses and i dont want that  ;D

HawgHunter

• Huntin' Hawgs
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 04:19 PM »
just filet open a rainbow, brookie, brown, salmon you'll see the ill effects when the belly is full of plastic, blocking the intestines!!! :cursing:

so, i guess if you're filleting them, it dosnt much matter whats in their intestines does it?  :cookoo:

gotta love the trout fanatics, they cry about pike, bass, and plastic baits, yet they kill every trout or salmon they catch. 
Big bass, big bass watcha gonna do, watcha gonna do when I come for you?!

ALASKANSS

• BITE THIS!
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 06:30 PM »
so, i guess if you're filleting them, it dosnt much matter whats in their intestines does it?  :cookoo:

gotta love the trout fanatics, they cry about pike, bass, and plastic baits, yet they kill every trout or salmon they catch. 

dont worry we kill every bass we catch too!

Jim C.

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 06:34 PM »
Even on waters that aren't S-13  ???

dont worry we kill every bass we catch too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.