FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: Cooking With Wild Shrooms  (Read 681 times)

SHaRPS

Cooking With Wild Shrooms
« on: Aug 13, 2018, 09:11 AM »
Not sure how many mushroom hunters we have on here but figured I would try to start a new thread related to mushroom hunting and food.

My wife found a Chicken of the Woods (Laetiporus cincinnatus) on Friday so I decided to make Friday nights dinner revolved around that. I actually prefer Laetiporus cincinnatus (ground grower) over laetiporus sulphureus (tree grower) for flavor.

I ended up cleaning the chicken of the woods and chopping it into 1/2" pieces. I then chopped some raw shrimp up into similar sized pieces. Finally I did the same thing with a piece of Kabanos. First I seared the mushroom in 2 tbls of butter for about 5 minutes. I then added the shrimp and cooked it until it was pink. Finally I added the Kabanos and seared it again for 5 minutes. At the very end I added some freshly chopped parsley. While all of this was cooking I made a side of Jambalaya rice and added the rice into the mushroom mixture once it was finished. I cooked the finished product on low heat for 2 minutes to mix the flavors. This is my favorite meal with the Chicken of the Woods.

Chicken of the Woods, Shrimp, Kabanos

Finished product

westernmas

Re: Cooking With Wild Shrooms
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Sounds delicious as usual.  I'm not a much of a fan of mushrooms but haven't really tried many kinds.  I'll have to give some other kinds a try because I tend to like them when they are in a stock or chopped finely in chowder or something.  Large chunks of them however have a weird texture and can just be too strong tasting for me.  I can't even handle them on a pizza.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Sounds delicious as usual.  I'm not a much of a fan of mushrooms but haven't really tried many kinds.  I'll have to give some other kinds a try because I tend to like them when they are in a stock or chopped finely in chowder or something.  Large chunks of them however have a weird texture and can just be too strong tasting for me.  I can't even handle them on a pizza.

This Chicken Mushroom recipe is exactly what you want. The chicken mushroom really does taste and has a texture of chicken. I am betting it would fool you and you would enjoy it.

**** Do not pick chicken mushrooms off coniferous trees as the chemical compound is different and can be harmful****

fishinator

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2018, 05:07 PM »
**** Do not pick chicken mushrooms off coniferous trees as the chemical compound is different and can be harmful*** also do not eat off of locusts trees. The ones with the big thorns. can make you sick

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2018, 03:26 PM »
Been taking care of my neighbors chickens and got some extras..  ;D

And i left 3 for seed.... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2018, 04:17 PM »
I was mowing hay last evening and I mowed right through one of those. Ticked me off! I didn't see any others around it but I'll go back and pay closer attention.   :-\
I want to try the pizza recipe.
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2018, 05:12 PM »
Fresh shrooms dipped in fresh eggs..      Yum...
 8)

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishogger

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:41 PM »
**** Do not pick chicken mushrooms off coniferous trees as the chemical compound is different and can be harmful*** also do not eat off of locusts trees. The ones with the big thorns. can make you sick

I have eaten plenty of chickens off our locust trees.  I have read this warning before but I, nor any friends and family, have ever gotten sick from them.  my favorite way to eat them is fried in onion ring batter.  set there with your hand on your belly afterwards good! lol  I just made a pot of chicken of the woods soup today(from black locust) as I watched it rain and gloom outside.

puffballs I do like raq. does.  beat egg with a bit of water and some seasonings and pan fry in tad bit butter.  I have brushed them with melted butter, seasoned and grilled them too.

mushroom muffins can be made with lots of different shrooms.
  1 sleeve unsalted crackers, crumbled. mix them into a can of cream mushroom soup. chop shrooms and mix them in also. plop them in greased cupcake pans and bake(sry don't remember time n temp in my head).  they don't last long at parties. portabellas work great in this if you wana try it.  you can also fry this mixture like salmon patties.

the more I learn about wild mushrooms the more I like them. check out the "learn you land" dude on youtube.
  he has great informative wild plant videos. the medicinal qualities of a lot of them is amazing.  teas and tinctures are more ways to use them fungi. 

fishogger

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2018, 07:27 AM »
this is a long read but even more in-depth science.  there is a paragraph about growing on black locust trees down the page.

https://ourcommonroots.com/robert-rogers-1/2016/4/19/chicken-of-the-woods-medicinal-mycology

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.