FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What to do with togue?  (Read 5029 times)

69corson

• just get out and go
What to do with togue?
« on: May 27, 2009, 01:04 PM »
I want to do my part and remove the togue from sebago but don't like the taste much.  I've heard people say to just throw'em on shore, bury them in the garden, givem away, or smok'em.  The people who I give them away to don't want them anymore.  So I'll guess I'm trying the smoking method.   Anyone have a good smoking recipe???

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
Re: What to do with togue?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:07 PM »
If you're going to keep them please do something productive with them. Don't just throw them on shore.  ::) I know the biologists are encouraging people to keep togue in order to help the salmon pop. but please dont waste them.......

69corson

• just get out and go
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:13 PM »
The thrown on shore and garden burying comments are more of a joke to let me know these folks don't like to eat'em.   

FLAG

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Try deep frying them...
Take  egg and water mixture dip the chuncks of meat in it and then use Chicken shake n bake. Not to bad

fishlessman

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 02:51 PM »
really good deep fried. i soak them overnight with a little milk and enough lemon to get the milk to curdle, then roll them in 50/50 jiffey corn muffin mix and finely ground corn meal and deep fry. they're delicous this way, never liked togue til i did this.  make a coctail sauce on the side, ketchup horseradish lemon juice.

aziscohosaddict

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 02:56 PM »
find a lobsterman to give them to for lobsters. they love fresh water fish for bait. i save all my togue from moosehead from ice fishing in my freezer and give them to a friend who lobsters when i get 20lbs or so.

pegasus

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 03:46 PM »
I have a friend that thought it would be good to put touge under corn. The raccoons thought so too.
Stop eating the bait and let's go fishing!

sst4life

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 04:19 PM »
1 cup of brown sugar per one lb meat
1/2 cup of sea salt for one lb meat.
and you can add a little hickory smoke and some other seasonings or what your heart desires.  You can either add water or not in the brine.  I dont add water becuase you get a better glaze but make sure you dont soak to long 4 to 6 hours is ideal and wash off the meat before it goes in the smoker !!!
I play with my rod TWO HANDED !!!!!

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 04:25 PM »
I started grilling them this year. Start with your sheet of foil. Onion and garlic powder on both sides. Small pat of butter on both sides. Just enough so it won't stick. Throw a pile of thin sliced onions and one slice of lemon. 2 slices was overkill for me. The onions, I pile high. I set my grill at the lowest setting. Leave on for 15 minutes. No need to flip. I love how it turns out. Really healthy and tastes good. The mess never leaves the foil, leaving the 'ol lady happy happy after dinner. It's worth a try for the minimal effort.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

Out4Trout

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 04:33 PM »
This is a post that "Dad's Tackle box" posted on the Ice Fishing Site (Looking forward to that season already).........sounds like it should work well.

-   Sweeten the Catch  -
 Gaminess is a wonderful trait when a fish is on the line, but gaminess on the serving platter is a totally different matter. Unfortunately, many of our finest sportfish suffer from some distinct culinary shortcomings. trout, salmon, shad, snappers, bluefish, and stripers are all excessively oily to some taste. Pike, pickerel, catfish, and many other species tend to taste overly fishy. Most freshwater fish- including black bass, bluegills, and crappies- have wonderful flavor when taken from clean water, but  often taste like bottom when when caught from less than pristine habitats.
 You can cure all these problems by soaking your pan-dressed fish or fillets overnight in a simple salt and soda solution. Many of the best restaurant and hotel chefs have been "sweetening" fish this way for decades, but few sportsman seem to know the trade secret.
 Measure 3 tablespoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of baking soda into 1 gallon of cold water, and stir until thoroughly dissolved. Submerge the fish in this solution, weight them down with a heavy plate, and fefrigerate overnight, or a miniumum of 6 hours.
 When the soaking is complete, you'll find that the brine is covered with a floating layer of oil and gelatinous slime. Since these are the substances that transmit most of the "off" flavors found in fish, their removal will make almost any variety of gamefish tast sweeter and fresher, but not at all bland.
 Discard the used saltwater,and rinse under cold tapwater.Let them drip dry on on paper towels, and then cook according to your favorite recipe, or freeze them for later use. 

excerpt from old Field& Stream clipping

cdc

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 05:49 PM »
Send the dead ones down the Saco river like some one did this winter.... ;D

finclip

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 06:38 PM »
They are excellent, really. Put about a half inch of milk and water in the bottom of a roasting pan, put the togue on a rack, just high enogh to be out of the milk and water. Put a sliced onion in the togue. Cover and throw in the oven. 15 minutes per pound at 350 deg. The skin will slide of with a fork and the meat will slide right off the bone. It's not strong or fishy. Even the wife and kids like it.

Scotty D

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 06:40 PM »
get some fresh dill and lemons and butter. put all three inside and out all around the fish. wrap in tin foil and grill.

also i have heard they are awsome for chowder
fishing soothes the soul

cathoga

• 49 inches 44 pounds
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 06:50 PM »
If you know someone who smokes, have them smoke the togue. Very good that way also.
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

Out4Trout

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 07:01 PM »
This was the other recipe that I was looking for........from Mainemark.......

Listen up.......... Fillet the togue and cut in chunks. Fire up a double boiler, and put a peeled potatoe in the water in the bottom, once boiling, put togue chunks in the top,and steam until flakey. Most important part......dip the togue pieces in houlton farms creamery REAL butter!BEWARE, do not take a wiff of the water/potatoe once the fish is cooked! The potatoe is the key to the whole thing,as it pulls all the fish oil/odor away from the meat. I was taught this years ago down on west grand, and it is THE best way to eat a fresh fish,most exspecially a togue.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.