FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing for stocked trout, a question.  (Read 4464 times)

JustOsmo

Fishing for stocked trout, a question.
« on: Mar 29, 2010, 10:03 AM »
How do you fish with Power Bait? Do you use a bobber? Do you weigh it down? Let it float? What size hooks should be used? I used size 4 but didnt catch anything so I figure I need to go way smaller.

I only have a medium action rod sadly so idk if that will hurt me inthe long run. I mostly want to fish for bass which is why i got a medium 6'6 rod but since trout got stocked i was trying to catch a few if i could.

pikedaddy

• Big Bait..Big Fish
Re: Fishing for stocked trout, a question.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2010, 12:06 PM »
get yourself some size 16-18 trebles,egg sinker  half ounce or so barrel swivel and some light line .First slip ur line thru the egg sinker then tie on your swivel.Make a leader of say any where fron 2-3ft depending on weeds tie that on to your your swivel.Next tie on your hook be sure to use some kind of floating powerbait.your egg should be able to slide on your line using the swivel as a stop.If ur fishing from shore get ur self a medium size bobber put a hook directly on it once u cast let it sink tighten up your slack and place the bobber somewhere on your pole between eyelets

NateFishNY

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2010, 01:21 PM »
way smaller then a size 4, i dont even use a 4 on my pike set-up and if there stockies you can usaully catch them on just about anything, is this a stream or a pond/lake?

pikedaddy

• Big Bait..Big Fish
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2010, 01:30 PM »
How do you fish with Power Bait? Do you use a bobber? Do you weigh it down? Let it float? What size hooks should be used? I used size 4 but didnt catch anything so I figure I need to go way smaller.

I only have a medium action rod sadly so idk if that will hurt me inthe long run. I mostly want to fish for bass which is why i got a medium 6'6 rod but since trout got stocked i was trying to catch a few if i could.
pm me if u need more info take a look at my recent trout pics and u tell me

Got2FishToo

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2010, 01:54 PM »

Alot like what pikedaddy said. You can also float a worm, you will need to get a worm blower or a syringe for this. We have been getting them with Nitro biat looks like small beads, they float also. Your med pole will be alright, since you will have a bobber on the line as a stick indicator. Like he PD said, put a hook on your bobber, then hang in on your line between 2 eyelets if it goes up or down something is nibblin. Be patient fresh stockies run hot and cold one hour will be awesome the next nothing, and so on. Plant 2 poles if you can. good luck.  Were you fishin?

Corporal Punishment

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2010, 02:48 PM »
Wax-worms and salted minnows for me,prefer the waxers more if they mainly stock the smaller ones.

sgarri7777

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2010, 02:58 PM »
Pike Daddy hit the nail on the head. I've caught thousands of trout in the sierra's using that setup. If you are fishing in low wind conditions you can replace the egg sinker with a water bobber.  It almost never gets snagged
that way.

BBK

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2010, 06:21 PM »
I caught 9 stocked rainbows out of a local lake on powerbait trout. I used a size 8 hook, a BB split shot and an ice bobber. I set the bobber so the weight was dragging the bottom and drift fished. I threw it up wind and let the wind blow the powerbait along the bottom. The bobber would stop then take off running.

I dont know what size trout your fishing for, but if you throw a 1/2 oz egg sinker around here your going to spook them to the next county. Stocked 12" trout are very skittish.

pikedaddy

• Big Bait..Big Fish
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2010, 07:00 PM »
depending on the weather if its real windy u dont want your bait pullin thru the weeds i caught 13 in one day so i know it works

pikedaddy

• Big Bait..Big Fish
« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2010, 07:03 PM »
depending on the weather if its real windy u dont want your bait pullin thru the weeds i caught 13 in one day so i know it works
as stated above in my post 1/2 OR SO 3/8 works fine on calm days

slipperybob

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2010, 07:21 PM »
I use the lightest bullet weight I can, usually about 1/32 to 1/16 oz.  In my state we can't use trebles, so size 8 to 12 salmon hooks.

I've also caught stocked trout with the powerbait just floating and under a bobber too.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

BBK

« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2010, 08:02 PM »
as stated above in my post 1/2 OR SO 3/8 works fine on calm days

Are you talking lakers? I've never seen anyone use over 1/16th oz for trout. Most people use 1/64th to 1/32 oz.

crazy man

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2010, 08:37 PM »
pd give the good advice.  I use a slip sinker rig too and it will catch a lot of different fish with it.  Yu can use a smaller weight maybe.  When I use a slip sinker I like to wrap the line once around my finger.  You can then leave the bail open if you wish and  the tug of a fish is unmistakable.  When the fish tugs, give line for second, then set the hook.  

I call it "bait and wait" but I do bring it in on a very slow retrieve at times.  the cool thing with wrapping the line around your finger is that your sight is not required to detect the strike and you are less likely to mistake the wind or the waves for a strike,  you know a fish when you feel one and you can just close your eyes if you like ::)  

I use a treble hook with a small blade above.  This makes it legal in MN.

JustOsmo

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Thansk guys. Im gonna have to find a good spot in central MA to go trouting then this weekend. My home town lake got stocked but its huge and i dont know where the good spots are.

pikedaddy

• Big Bait..Big Fish
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2010, 09:15 PM »
give me a pm maybe we can hook up over the weekend  give ya some pointers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.