FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 566021 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3720 on: May 15, 2023, 04:53 PM »
Get a  copy of Pat McManus’ book, “A Fine And Pleasant Misery” . A good read and a good laugh with a view into the fly fisher’s soul.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3721 on: May 16, 2023, 06:29 AM »
I'll check that out RG.  62 I have days where I feel like I catch more trees than fish.  One night I broke my 6w fishing a mouse, it got stuck in a tree.  I tried to pop it out with a quick jerk of the rod...broke it. 

Ill make you some leaders for still water.

Bartman44

« Reply #3722 on: May 16, 2023, 01:30 PM »
I had a nice bout with a tree this past week and the tree won (twice) much to the amusement of my son who was watching me flounder from just upstream.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3723 on: May 16, 2023, 02:18 PM »
Ha! We’ve all been there many times. I undid did a tourist tangle a couple times this morning in the wind. If we fished all day every day, we’d be the PGA pros of fly fishing……and probably starve.

It’s part of the patience of fly casting.

I guess it’s patience anyway.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3724 on: May 16, 2023, 04:22 PM »
Its all part of the fun.  Can tell you my fly fishing for stripers has been super limited but can confirm that a clouser bouncing off the back of my head hurt a lot.  Wind and that forward cast sometimes...ouch. Kid stuff for me tonight means no magical spinnerfall.  Looking forward to the full night trips.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3725 on: May 16, 2023, 05:26 PM »
hmmmmm fowl weather   lot of  trees  ....the roll cast is my friend
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

62 & Done

« Reply #3726 on: May 18, 2023, 08:38 PM »
Round 2   What an idiot, or was it the wind. I did everything wrong that was possible. In my haste to tie a lousy knot, land a fish, or force a cast into the wind that was just not possible, I made myself look like Steve Martin. Remember the movie? Ya that's right- the jerk. I lost too many precious little flies and got myself entered into the fly fishing hall of shame.
  I think maybe I've got some learning to do. I tried a couple times today to use some surface flies but with the wind that was a mistake. I did catch a few nice gills by accident with a couple crappie in the mix but it was not easy. I may try some 3lb trilene ice line as a tippet mtl. I think it is just as strong as the 6lb tippet mtl that I am using and my grizzled old hands can tie a much better knot with it than that tiny stuff. Some of the heavier stone fly nymphs got a lot of bites today. I couldn't catch most of them but it was good practice.
   I'll be out there......somewhere

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3727 on: May 19, 2023, 03:40 AM »
One thing about fly fishing…..you never stop learning.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3728 on: May 19, 2023, 07:19 AM »
62 I tied a crappy knot last night lost a nice brown and was left with the telltale pigtale, these things happen! Seguar invisix makes for some cheaper fluoro tippet if you are so inclined. 

Bartman44

« Reply #3729 on: May 19, 2023, 08:00 AM »
You're on your way 62. Wind can be your friend or your greatest enemy.

I still remember to this day when I was a kid, my father buying a fly rod and reel kit, taking it out on the lawn and casting until he had all the fly line wrapped around his neck.  He was much better at bowling.  ;D

Keep at it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3730 on: May 19, 2023, 11:27 AM »
Just got back from fly fishing for a bit. Very heavy south wind but it was at my back. Made roll casting easy. Sub surface flies were the winners. Tried a few new patterns I came up with. Some winners some losers.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3731 on: May 19, 2023, 11:32 AM »
What were you after RG?  Warm water stuff?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3732 on: May 19, 2023, 12:27 PM »
Just playing with some big gills near my home. Had a couple hours to kill. Water temps dropped a lot yesterday, but they were still somewhat active.

62 & Done

« Reply #3733 on: May 19, 2023, 05:15 PM »
I was concerned with the temps yesterday.  Until after 9:00 am I thought I would get skunked. When the sun got high and warm they started biting. very active mid day

lowaccord66

« Reply #3734 on: May 19, 2023, 06:49 PM »
Just playing with some big gills near my home. Had a couple hours to kill. Water temps dropped a lot yesterday, but they were still somewhat active.

Nice thats a good time.  I have a spot a couple minutes down the road thats good for them.  Easy way to kill the last hour before dark.

I slipped out of work early and got a round in on the trout.  Much slower bite around 3 compared to 7 but there were a few trout to be had. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.