FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fall Walleye shore fishing  (Read 82145 times)

KingPerch

Re: Fall Walleye shore fishing
« Reply #30 on: Sep 15, 2010, 03:31 PM »
everyone will give a pice of there pizza no one want's to share there prime rib dinner :unsure: :unsure: :blink: :w00t:
I will share my prime rib with Ya killer.....for 10 of those lucky waldo catchers you got!!!!! DEAL OR NO DEAL!!!--KP ;D  I use my trusty 16' bamboo pole, 35# mono, 4" bobber and a worm on a hook!!!! Waldo Dinner!!! ;)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

fishandy

« Reply #31 on: Sep 15, 2010, 04:21 PM »
from shore or on a boat
from shore

crappiekiller315

• whackin&stackin I LIKE TO EAT BASS
« Reply #32 on: Sep 15, 2010, 04:31 PM »
I will share my prime rib with Ya killer.....for 10 of those lucky waldo catchers you got!!!!! DEAL OR NO DEAL!!!--KP ;D  I use my trusty 16' bamboo pole, 35# mono, 4" bobber and a worm on a hook!!!! Waldo Dinner!!! ;)
:cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :cookoo: :cookoo:
do you think there would be less idiot's if it were not illegal to kill people!!!!!
Mmmmmmmm bass the other white meat!!!!!!

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #33 on: Sep 15, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Yeah, go ahead, only a moron would use one of those. "Smithwick" he says...yeah, right.  :P

you suck  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #34 on: Sep 15, 2010, 08:58 PM »
what size rood and line is everyone throwing? ive been used my noodle rood 10'6 with 6 lb test, had alot of break offs, doont know if ill get the distance with my shorter rods

adam2000

« Reply #35 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:04 PM »
For some reason, this is where I shine. I love the fall wader bite all around Oneida lake and it's Tribs. Here is a couple pics of my basic go to arsenal. Certain days ya can't forget Quality jiggin either! ;)

your getting walleyes on those skitter walks?

crappiekiller315

• whackin&stackin I LIKE TO EAT BASS
« Reply #36 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:09 PM »
what size rood and line is everyone throwing? ive been used my noodle rood 10'6 with 6 lb test, had alot of break offs, doont know if ill get the distance with my shorter rods
9'6" noodle rod 6lb trilene lo-vis green smooth casting is all i ever use when casting stick's never had a problem yet ;)
"
do you think there would be less idiot's if it were not illegal to kill people!!!!!
Mmmmmmmm bass the other white meat!!!!!!

Spikehorn11

« Reply #37 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:23 PM »
I never thought about using my salmon/steelhead rod but this year I'm going to give it a try. should be able to cast a country mile with a 10'6" light action rod.

adam2000

« Reply #38 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:32 PM »
6lb test with a big eye is tough though, ive lost a ton, probally 100 bucks in stickbaits

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #39 on: Sep 15, 2010, 11:23 PM »
your getting walleyes on those skitter walks?

Not everything in there is used for walleye. I have a small box that holds about half a dozen sticks, and a couple jigs. I rigged up a d clip to snap to the rings on my waders. I lost a good majority of my sticks and cranks at Oneida shores this summer. Alot of them are replacements since then.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #40 on: Sep 15, 2010, 11:27 PM »
6lb test with a big eye is tough though, ive lost a ton, probally 100 bucks in stickbaits

I went to 6lbs. fireline and lose alot less sticks. Casting might not be as far or smooth, but I hate break offs with a 7 dollar stick. Get just as many hookup's also. Try a snap, or swivel snap. I seem to land more with them also.....less rip outs do to twisting imo.

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #41 on: Sep 15, 2010, 11:31 PM »
You can cast them a country mile.

Good eye! That thing has caught a ton of bass, I should retire it to a museum. The trebs are in serious need of replacement.

Gamma Fish

« Reply #42 on: Sep 16, 2010, 02:08 AM »
I went to 6lbs. fireline and lose alot less sticks. Casting might not be as far or smooth, but I hate break offs with a 7 dollar stick. Get just as many hookup's also. Try a snap, or swivel snap. I seem to land more with them also.....less rip outs do to twisting imo.
Casting should be farther and smoother with Fireline or any other super braids !      For you guys who're looking for distance and wanting to use your steelhead rods / noodle rods, don't waste your time.    For the most part, you'll catch more fall walleyes within 20 feet from the shoreline than out real far where you have less or little control of your baits.      Over the years, 75 % of the walleyes that I've caught from shore in the fall months have been within 15 feet of the shoreline.     Accuracy and control are much more important than distance !
  Fish the water closest to you first !      Every fall, I see guys trying to hit the other side of the canal, lake or river with their baits and if they are lucky enough to get a hit, they have no control and too much line on the water to set the hook firmly enough as to not lose the fish.   If the wind is blowing, it's even worse with the slack line on the water !    On most occassions, those guys leave after a few fruitless casts and we proceed to catch fish that were basically at their feet !

PS:  I use only 4 lb Fireline for all of my Oneida walleye fishing whether from shore or boat and can honestly say that I've never had a fish break off due to the line !
Plastics are Fantastic !

reeleyz

« Reply #43 on: Sep 16, 2010, 07:06 AM »
I use a 6' 6" meduim/light pole with 8lb. fireline. Same pole for jigging and casting sticks. Works fine for me. I am sure there are some spots where a super long cast might help. Like Gamma said, most of the fish that I catch are right in near shore.

4lb. fireline would be a little light for me. I tend to set the hook a little hard.  ;D ;D ;D

dmntd169

« Reply #44 on: Sep 16, 2010, 09:58 AM »
Casting should be farther and smoother with Fireline or any other super braids !      For you guys who're looking for distance and wanting to use your steelhead rods / noodle rods, don't waste your time.    For the most part, you'll catch more fall walleyes within 20 feet from the shoreline than out real far where you have less or little control of your baits.      Over the years, 75 % of the walleyes that I've caught from shore in the fall months have been within 15 feet of the shoreline.     Accuracy and control are much more important than distance !
  Fish the water closest to you first !      Every fall, I see guys trying to hit the other side of the canal, lake or river with their baits and if they are lucky enough to get a hit, they have no control and too much line on the water to set the hook firmly enough as to not lose the fish.   If the wind is blowing, it's even worse with the slack line on the water !    On most occassions, those guys leave after a few fruitless casts and we proceed to catch fish that were basically at their feet !

PS:  I use only 4 lb Fireline for all of my Oneida walleye fishing whether from shore or boat and can honestly say that I've never had a fish break off due to the line !

Come on down and Hit Hopatcong with me next summer for eyes. We'll see how far your 4# gets ya when you hook a 7# eye that heads into the weeds  :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:    Theres plenty of slab crappies too  :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

My go to bait for eyes, regaurdless of where I'm fishing:

It used to be a black and gold bomber  :whistling: :whistling:   Funny thing is I'll sit in the back of the boat and pop fish all night long while the guy in the front throws the same color bomber and won't hook up. Your lure doesn't matter if you aren't presenting it right. Think slow, eyes aren't gonna work hard for their meals, especially if theres tons of bait around. The topwater eye bite should be starting back up soon, now if only I had the free time to get out for em  :-\ :-\

Topwater its spooks all the way:

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.