FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 1084091 times)

topher7694

• Here fishy fishy fishy.....
Re: 2011 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #5700 on: Oct 21, 2011, 11:18 AM »
My buddy and I fished DSR yesterday, with a pretty good run of steelies coming up through where we were. We managed 19 for 35 with the biggest guestimated  around 14 pounds or so, with most of them around 8-10 lbs..
I've got thousands invested, she's got a $20 combo and a can of worms--I get out fished EVERY time--Gotta Love It !!

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #5701 on: Oct 21, 2011, 11:30 AM »
ok budd. so cause you only caught 2 over 20 , that means the guide didn't catch one that was 21. It would be a lot diffrent  if I was trying to guess the weight . The guy had it on the scale man . It's a simple as that . You say u spend 100 hours on the river . This guys a guide . He's there every day ..

Wow man.  The guys cleans fish all salmon season he knows what a 20 lb steelie is and they are rare.that so called big one you got in that pic is 14 lbs tops.  Fish with him for a day and see if you think these dsr guidesare so good. Hell have 3a steelies on the bank before you can tie your bead on

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #5702 on: Oct 21, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Wow man.  The guys cleans fish all salmon season he knows what a 20 lb steelie is and they are rare.that so called big one you got in that pic is 14 lbs tops.  Fish with him for a day and see if you think these dsr guidesare so good. Hell have 3a steelies on the bank before you can tie your bead on

Ive witnessed it, its sickening how quickly he hooks up in a hole I have been fishing in and not getting any hookups and he is palming his Pin with a hookup in mere minutes!! 1st cast last Spring at the Sandies and he was on and I had been there an hour with nothing!

Not trying to make his head swell, but he is the master up there, guide license or not. He is the EF Hutton of the SR. LOL
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

jersey dave

« Reply #5703 on: Oct 21, 2011, 11:58 AM »
I have fished with Snagger for like 10 or 12 years he is ok I guess LMAO  :D :D :D
Jersey Dave

griz104

« Reply #5704 on: Oct 21, 2011, 12:21 PM »
I am going to go with Snagger on this one also.. He is from the Old days and although i never have had the chance to fish with him yet i knew a lot of the Old boys he hung with.. Just knowing that is enough for me.. Seems all the Old boys know how to put fish on the bank and not how to sit at a Computer and write how good everyone is..We actually got in a car and made a 4 hour drive without worrying about how many fish were in a creek or even if there were fish in a creek..We fished the old days when you were lucky to land ten fish a day and Steelhead were even further in between..Days when you put in hour after hour and when you finally got a hit you were excited.. You young guys do not have a clue as what real fishing is about.. for you it's all about catching and if you don't catch 15-20 Steelhead a day you whine about how bad a day you had!! There is not one bit of doubt in my mind that Shane knows what he is talking about....Time for me to crawl back under my rock and observe....I agree with you 200 percent about the days before the Computer also Shane.. The Computer has made everyone a freaking fishing Magician.. Wonder how many would be a expert without it.. Hell my Daughter could do the same as most the guys here.. get on Computer.. someone tells her where to go and what to use..Everyone wants the easy way any more...

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #5705 on: Oct 21, 2011, 12:38 PM »
i  been  fishing  steel   for   nearly  40  years  now   and  i  fish  everyday!   i  have  only  caught  2  steelies  over  20  pounds  ...honestly  weighted  !   is  it  possiable  one   got   wacked   yup  ....  do i  believe  it  ...don't  matter  ....  but  i  wouldn't  take  nothing  from  a   man  that  lives  on  the  river  ,  helps  everyone  he  can ,  and  wakes  up  to  the  sound  of  salmon  river  every  morning ,  nothing  agaist  guides  but  most  are  from  jersy  and  got   less  time  fishing  these  waters  then  alot  of  guys  right  here  in  this   thread  .......  i  do  know  one  thing ....  read  a  lot  of  stories   and  advice  on  here  ....  never  seen  snagger   bs  anyone !  i'd   bet  my  last   dollar  on  what  he  says  to  be  true ....  don't    know  if  i'd  want  to  have  to  fish  agaist    the  man  either
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

draketrutta

« Reply #5706 on: Oct 21, 2011, 01:02 PM »
dsr is simple...too easy, come up river they'll be lost.

just browsing through this thread....

this comment made me giggle...(truth is funnier than fiction - in a funny kind of way).

Makes one think about how lost the DSR XPURT Guides would be without their early-admission pass to their favorite snaggin ROCK.

And how truly lost their paying clients are....

later

<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #5707 on: Oct 21, 2011, 01:10 PM »

Nice upRiver steelhead from a nice young man staying here. Tons of steelies everywhere, it's insane this year.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #5708 on: Oct 21, 2011, 01:19 PM »
ain't  it  great   ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

go-phillies

• THE HECK WITH WORKIN!! TIME FOR FISHIN!!!!!
« Reply #5709 on: Oct 21, 2011, 01:31 PM »
hey guys   maybe all you newbes maybe should sit back and appreciate all the info these guys are willing to give out  I'm one myself and you dont or wont hear me bashing the old timers on the river(dont take that wrong way guys)  I'm coming up ther almost 19 years now and every year I STILL learn from the boys at AOL  if you dont like what they say go to the other thread (S.C.)  see if they give out as much info!!!!!  stick in ther SHANE   just look at the ### of posts  that should explain everything  hey trap  could you send me a P.M. when your gonna be around next  got a favor to ask you  KP see u next week     RICK
9/11/2001 FOREVER     -if fishing was a job,  nobody would retire,  a bad day fishing still beats a good day workin, so I finally gave up workin ,, another year, another excuse to get up to A.O.L.   FISH ON!! salmon River N.Y.!!!

fishhooker

« Reply #5710 on: Oct 21, 2011, 01:41 PM »
One glance at the walls in snaggers lodge, as well as the framed pictures should give you an idea.  Other than that, I've been coming up for a while now and have heard a lot of people preach the gospel to me....at this point there's only a few people I'll ask anything up there and believe it.  Shanes one of them.

As for your steelhead...I made the same mistakes on judging fish when I first started landing the big boys.  Even roped up a Steelhead one day thinking I got my wall hanging 20 pounder, only to get back home and see 14 on the scale.

One bit of advice would be to put the tape to it in your photos, or show the weight and/or both.  That way you have some support for your argument. 

You caught a nice fish, no doubt. But keep in mind 20 pounds is a eastcoast steelheaders dream.  At least it is for most of us "regular folks".  If you live on the river, own a lodge, or guide etc, it's much more realistic.
Enjoy outdoor literature? Check out my blog here: www.artrafus.blogspot.com

lakerdave

« Reply #5711 on: Oct 21, 2011, 01:48 PM »
I never said I caught it  .

Smells Like Fish NH

« Reply #5712 on: Oct 21, 2011, 01:51 PM »
I never said I caught it  .

Guys too much beating up on Lakerdave, all he did was say he witnessed a great catch, lets all just move on cause Dave had a great day himself with all those pictures, hate to bring him down for just reporting what he saw.

Lets get back to Fishing on the river and lets keep those pictures coming. I'm living vicariously through all of you, as I'm listening to Tool's song Vicarious!  ha-ha
If anyone is interested in being in a FB group about NH fishing with few limitations and no Richard Craniums...send me a PM... 3000+members strong and growing! Search "New Hampshire Fishing" and ask to join

floatfisher

« Reply #5713 on: Oct 21, 2011, 02:29 PM »
shane..... catch a fish..... i dont know about all that now....
but in all honesty. shane is one hell of a guy, goes out of his way for just about everybody. hell i've only known him a few years and the first time i met him it was like we had been buddys for a long time.
as i said i caught one of the biggest steelheads i have ever seen in the end of september. and i've caught alot over the years. 20lbs? maybe. but i do know my boga said 19. so im sticking with my 19lb story.

shane. i'll take you up on that offer we discussed the other day if i dont get what i need.
whats the point, its too hard to keep count lol if you wanna know, just ask.

tinsucks

« Reply #5714 on: Oct 21, 2011, 03:18 PM »
Shane is the man...no bs, tons of advise......even though I sometimes fish on the "other side" of the bridge  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.