FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 634957 times)

KingPerch

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1980 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:37 PM »
just  got  new  ones  lol ,  don't  know what it is  but I  have  never been  good at seeing it  , even casting boobers I never been able to see the  chartreuse ones
Now, I know why you gave me the chartreuse boobers! Lol! Early morning and late afternoon I can see them. Orange and pink indicators work well for me. Gotta stock up on bobber Trap...crappies and rock dukes coming real soon!

Very nice set up Bob! Josh and I have a big mess downstairs between ice fishing and his bass gear...I'd be embarrassed to post a pic right now...lol! ;D
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1981 on: Mar 10, 2015, 02:25 AM »
Lots of really reasonable vises to be had on EBay. Some of the knock offs are in the $40 range and would suit the casual tier quite well. If you're looking for something a lot better, I highly recommend the Danvise. For under $100 it cannot be beat. I've been tying on mine for a number of years now, maybe 7 or 8, and it still works perfectly.

I've got the itch to buy another vise though. Been looking very closely at an Anvil Atlas vise. The things  look bombproof. If I had really deep pockets I'd order a Snowbee or try to find a Law :-\

Tinkering in the basement is my full time job Larry. I've got the best boss in the whole world ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #1982 on: Mar 10, 2015, 06:17 AM »
Very nice pile a flies u got there rg..and nice set up..i need to spring clean my basement..so for noe i use my dining room table.. ;D

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1983 on: Mar 10, 2015, 08:07 AM »
I  don't  have  a  picture  handy  but  go  to a  hobby  shop  and  get a  clamp on   magnifing  glass  mine  was  like  30  bucks from  joannes  or micheals I  forget
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1984 on: Mar 10, 2015, 02:48 PM »
The swing arm light on the left has a lens in it. I outfitted it with LED case lights. I don't use for tying much comes in real handy for other stuff though.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #1985 on: Mar 10, 2015, 06:00 PM »
Bob,

You most definitely have more space than I do and I could use some of those tools for my home improvement project.

My operation is always on the move in my house and now that my son has moved out of the house, the bench is now in a nook in his bed room.

RG's propeller fly in a big size 2.  The alewives will be spilling over on the Big D this spring. Floating line, short leader, buzzed across the surface - Boom!

Gump

« Reply #1986 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:05 PM »
Wow.  Nice flies guys keep them coming.  Impressive laboratory you have there RG !

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1987 on: Mar 11, 2015, 02:29 AM »
Nice adaptation Bart.

What vise are you using?

The bench has worked out well so far. The little catch all tray on the front is great. It's a  kitchen drawer organizer from Wally World. $3. 3"x15"... Catches all the cuttings and stuff. I tried a basket under the vise but it was always in the way. Somehwere theres a picture of my first bench. Seems I've collected a few things since then. ::)

It's all Trapper's fault. I hadn't touched my fly rods in a long time till he started me up again. Woke up this morning thinking about tying double Tricos.

Thanks Trap! ;D

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #1988 on: Mar 12, 2015, 03:30 PM »
Bob,

Odyssey Spider. The experts say it's not the best rotary but I like it and it fits my budget.

I noticed your tray, good idea.

Keep tying, it won't be long now. I may be throwing some streamers this weekend hopefully in some special regulation areas.     

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1989 on: Mar 12, 2015, 04:35 PM »
I'm real close to pulling the trigger on an Anvil Atlas. The smaller I tie, the more neck room I need. Odd. But seems the case. I'm ready for a road trip any time ;D

Bob

trapper2000

« Reply #1990 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:07 AM »
I  got  a  couple plastic  storage  boxes  and i'm  just  taking my  time  cutting  foam  for   flies  later  on  beatle ,hopper,ant bodies....I like  having  them  pre cut .....

I  also scored  a  lot  of  small corks  for  poppers  I  might  pre  cut  the hook grove  and  attach the  hooks when I  can i'll pre  paint  them  as  well.... I  like  the   popper  bodys  I can  purchase   but  the  cork reminds  me  of  the  poppers  we  tied  years  ago .....

I  think i'll be  sneaking out  to my brothers  when he gets  home I want to  make  a  new  tying  station  something  to hold  more  tools  and  boobins ....I hate   change  and  to me a  simple  plan is  the  best  plan  but  I  think  having things  close  will  help make  things  easier .....

harbor  freight  has  a  wooden  drawe  tool box !  these  are  great  for  tying  materals  and  tools and  look  really  cool  as  well   ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1991 on: Mar 13, 2015, 01:16 PM »
I've looked at this stool boxes Trap. Trouble is, I'd need 11 of them to hold my supplies. ::)

I was working on some Ausable Bombers this morning. Almost there.....takes a few to get the method down.

I'm moving on to foam pretty soon ;D

Did you see the lazy Susan tool thing I built Trap? Pretty handy and easy to do.

Rg

kc

« Reply #1992 on: Mar 13, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Many years ago my father in-law got me an old jeweler's bench. It works perfect for fly tying. It has a pull out tray that is cloth lined. It catches all the debris from making the fly. Has plenty of drawers for storage. When I get my mess cleaned up, I will post a pic of it.

trapper2000

« Reply #1993 on: Mar 14, 2015, 05:46 AM »
RG that's what gaveme the idea  ,can ya post a close up of it

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1994 on: Mar 14, 2015, 09:40 AM »
This is just so you know my bench is not always neat and pretty.

So, it's a bamboo lazy Susan I found at Wally World in the housewares dept. The half round pieces I added to two sides and the square top are bamboo counter top hot plates. I cut the round one in half and added some holes to it for stuff. The square one I mounted using some dowel and screws. I added some holes and hooks to hold scissors, bobbins, tweezers and stuff. The blue foam on the one side is the handiest thing for sticking all sorts of pointed stuff into.

So far it's worked out great. Everything is in that one spot. As you can see, it holds all sorts of stuff.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.