FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Brook trout and fiddle heads.  (Read 8029 times)

outdoorsman

Re: Brook trout and fiddle heads.
« Reply #45 on: Mar 25, 2011, 07:52 AM »
pickled!!!

They are definitely good pickled. 

Mostly, I just boil them and eat them with butter, salt, pepper, and a little vinegar.
"I just want to get the work over as soon as possible so I can do some fishing. Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except that I still get to kill something."

Nor Easter

« Reply #46 on: Mar 25, 2011, 09:51 AM »
I tried sauteed similar to stir fried and didn't really care for them that way. A little too crunchy. Perhaps if par-boiled first, then stir fried would be better, but usually I have them boiled w/butter, salt, pepper alone or as a side dish.

I'm slobbering drool on my keyboard now,,, I gotta go...  :laugh:

allextremesfishing

« Reply #47 on: Mar 25, 2011, 09:58 AM »
I tried sauteed similar to stir fried and didn't really care for them that way. A little too crunchy. Perhaps if par-boiled first, then stir fried would be better, but usually I have them boiled w/butter, salt, pepper alone or as a side dish.

I'm slobbering drool on my keyboard now,,, I gotta go...  :laugh:

stir fri with fiddle heads?? SOUNDS DELICIOUSE!!! come on spring!

LostOne

« Reply #48 on: Mar 25, 2011, 02:07 PM »
just found this site...thought I would share. :)
Good Fiddlehead and Dandelion info

http://extension.umaine.edu/publications/4060e/

Here's the adress. First person to make it a link... Rules! ;)

Thx ff. :)
You can\'t catch them, if you don\'t go.

fshnfool

• Retired MFF Mod

Wolley

• makin it happen
« Reply #50 on: Mar 25, 2011, 06:57 PM »

I like to steam them for like 2 minutes then rinse them in cold water to wash out a lot of the black crap that comes out when you cook them. Then saute with garlic and olive oil.
Wake up America! www.infowars.com

outdoorsman

« Reply #51 on: Mar 25, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Got this bag of them while catching a bunch of brookies last year...

Then I found a patch behind the house, and they were huge!  They kept producing too.  Got a few batches and left some to grow.

And of course, I ate lots of fiddleheads.  Can't wait to get some fresh ones!

"I just want to get the work over as soon as possible so I can do some fishing. Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except that I still get to kill something."

SilverSides

« Reply #52 on: Mar 27, 2011, 08:57 AM »
How does everyone clean them? I use one of these.

Just throw a handful of em in the net and run it back and forth thru the quick water of a stream and they are done. Can do a 5 gallon pail full in about 10 minutes. It's a Cummings wire mesh smelt net.

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/pid/3/sid/53/tid/244/prodid/30774

Nor Easter

« Reply #53 on: Mar 27, 2011, 01:29 PM »
The metal smelt net is a good idea!  :)

I use something my uncle made long ago. It's a box shaped metal screen of 1/4" hardware cloth with a wooden strapping border on the top. It's about 12" tall by 18" wide by 24" long. I set it in the driveway and drop the fiddleheads from up high so the wind blows a lot of the paper away. Then I use a garden hose to spray the remainder clean.

If I only get a half bucket of heads, I don't clean them until I want to cook them and only clean what I'm gonna cook in the kitchen sink. The rest stay in the crisper drawers in the fridge. If I get loads of them, they get blanched and frozen.

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #54 on: Mar 27, 2011, 01:34 PM »

Just throw a handful of em in the net and run it back and forth thru the quick water of a stream and they are done. Can do a 5 gallon pail full in about 10 minutes. It's a Cummings wire mesh smelt net.

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/pid/3/sid/53/tid/244/prodid/30774
If we pick a bunch on the way up north we usually just toss them in the old bait trap up to camp and toss them in the brook for a while,  doesn't clean them perfectly but it helps

LostOne

« Reply #55 on: Mar 28, 2011, 07:24 AM »
If we pick a bunch on the way up north we usually just toss them in the old bait trap up to camp and toss them in the brook for a while,  doesn't clean them perfectly but it helps
Now that is SLICK! I like it! 8)

Westerly

« Reply #56 on: Mar 28, 2011, 10:43 AM »

When I have a big batch to clean, I usually load em (dry) into my shallow smelt dipping net.  Bounce them around like popcorn right in front of a big box fan on 'high' and all the papery skins just blow away.  I still give them a quick bath in the sink, but is so much easier without the skins in the mix.  Good thing it won't be long now!  My frozen stash is just about gone...  ;D

LostOne

« Reply #57 on: Mar 28, 2011, 11:59 AM »
When I have a big batch to clean, I usually load em (dry) into my shallow smelt dipping net.  Bounce them around like popcorn right in front of a big box fan on 'high' and all the papery skins just blow away.  I still give them a quick bath in the sink, but is so much easier without the skins in the mix.  Good thing it won't be long now!  My frozen stash is just about gone...  ;D

Jeeze! You guys are killing me with your creative ways of cleaning these things!  Love it!  8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.