FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Updates on Trout Stocking??  (Read 2143 times)

ma_fisherman

Updates on Trout Stocking??
« on: Mar 22, 2011, 12:18 AM »
When Walden or Horn pond get stocked i would appreciate it if anyone who finds out could either post or send me a private message informing me.  Im not sure if this is against proper forum etiquette and i apoligize if it is and anyone is bothered by my post.  I just figure at this point im gonna wait til i here one of these two local ponds for me gets stocked before i bother  heading out.  I know the dfw gives updates at the end of the week but it would be nice to get a heads up a couple days early if possible.  I called the northeast district of the dfw this afternoon and they confirmed that the trucks would be heading out in the n.e. district sometime this wk (most likely).  Trying to get anything more than this out of them is futile.  Its like im asking for the keys to the secret garden.  Im not expecting them to give me the time and location of each stocking....just wanted some general info on which ponds they intended to hit this week and which species other then rainbows (if any) might get stocked cuz i was curious if any tigers or brookies would get dropped this wk.  Thanks to anyone who can help and to the others who do not wish to share such knowledge i respect your m.o. also.  take care.

capedeer/fish

Re: Updates on Trout Stocking??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2011, 08:16 AM »
You can check mass wildlife....trout stocking....daily to see exactly when/where!
IndianHill Icetrap Pro Staff                                               SavageGear Product Tester         Dexter-Russell outdoors Pro Staff   ODM Rods Pro Staff

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2011, 08:21 AM »
530,000+ trout this year!

SPRING INTO TROUT STOCKING

Bay State anglers with cabin fever and their 2011 freshwater fishing license can look forward to over 529,800 feisty brook, brown, rainbow and tiger trout being stocked this spring. These are sizeable fish; 71% of the fish average 12 inches or longer. "We have some high quality fish this spring," observes Chief Fish Culturist Dr. Ken Simmons. "We had to deal with severe drought conditions last summer and early fall resulting in reduced water flows for two hatcheries. The prolonged, severe snow and ice conditions from this winter were also a challenge at all our harcheries, but the hatchery crews did an excellent job with the fish."

Stocking will begin sometime near the end of March when water chemistry is optimal and the ice, snow and mud conditions allow the 2-ton tank trucks access to the waterways. Anglers are advised to contact the District office for updates on when stocking will begin in their area. "We'll be putting out 217,000 rainbow trout that will average 14 inches or longer, and 86,000 more rainbows will range from 9-13 inches," observes Chief Fish Culturist Dr. Ken Simmons. "They'll be distributed statewide throughout the stocking season by our five regional Wildlife District offices." More than 51,400 brown trout in the 12-inch category will be stocked along with another 92,000 browns in the 6 - 12 inch range. The larger water bodies will receive the larger fish and the smaller brooks and streams will receive the majority of the smaller-sized fish. Brook trout will be stocked in a similar fashion with approximately 51,000 fish measuring 9-12 inches, and more than 26,400 at a foot or more. Simmons noted that this year's crop of 2-year old brook trout production years in recent memory. Anglers can also anticipate trying to tame some of the 6,000 tiger trout to be released, all topping the 14-inch mark. These handsome fish, a cross between a female brown trout and a male brook trout, have become popular with folks lucky enough to hook and land one. Don't forget to take friends and family fishing!

Contributing blogger at www.wickedfishah.com

FishingNewEngland

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2011, 09:37 AM »
The Cape trucks started rolling yesterday!
Contributing blogger at www.wickedfishah.com

Dana

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Thanks for that informative report.
Glenn, get the net!

qqbmwcichlid

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2011, 01:07 PM »
don't know walden but horn pond still has a lot of holdovers left, and they were pretty active during the last several days when ice was just about to dissapear.

one time when I stopped by around 5pm during the last weekend, I saw a lot of jumping, and nobody was even fishing there.  :o ???

When Walden or Horn pond get stocked i would appreciate it if anyone who finds out could either post or send me a private message informing me.  Im not sure if this is against proper forum etiquette and i apoligize if it is and anyone is bothered by my post.  I just figure at this point im gonna wait til i here one of these two local ponds for me gets stocked before i bother  heading out.  I know the dfw gives updates at the end of the week but it would be nice to get a heads up a couple days early if possible.  I called the northeast district of the dfw this afternoon and they confirmed that the trucks would be heading out in the n.e. district sometime this wk (most likely).  Trying to get anything more than this out of them is futile.  Its like im asking for the keys to the secret garden.  Im not expecting them to give me the time and location of each stocking....just wanted some general info on which ponds they intended to hit this week and which species other then rainbows (if any) might get stocked cuz i was curious if any tigers or brookies would get dropped this wk.  Thanks to anyone who can help and to the others who do not wish to share such knowledge i respect your m.o. also.  take care.

ma_fisherman

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2011, 06:15 PM »
qqbmcichlid-
I think your right about the holdover rainbows....they stocked it last fall and i dont think many were caught then because i was down there quite a bit and hardly saw any fishing pressure....nothing like the spring after it is stocked.  I always wonder how many get caught through the ice but im sure not that many.  Another thing worth targeting might be the broodstock salmon that are stocked there before it freezes over in late fall/early winter.  I had heard some internet rumors on another forum i am part of that several were caught a couple weekends ago off the handicap access ramp which is the one place that melted away early.  This picqued my interest but i have trouble getting geared up to go out and target a species when only 40 or 50 of them were stocked minus whatever was caught through the ice.  For this reason i didnt bother but my brother went down there and saw a woman catch a 5 lb salmon on a rainbow colored kastmaster.  He said another guy lost one right before pulling him onshore.  This guy was apparently also using a spoon....a gold joe's flies spoon with the streamer trailer.  My brother said those he talked to down there said the salmon were being caught all in a similiar fashion....jigging spoons.  I guess he heard down there the salmon werent hitting livebait (shiners or nightcrawlers) or spinners either.  I always question the "salmon stories" i hear down there....seems every body and their brother that fishes horn either says they caught one or knows someone who has, however, when my brother says he saw it for himself i guess it's true.

qqbmwcichlid

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:16 AM »
qqbmcichlid-
I had heard some internet rumors on another forum i am part of that several were caught a couple weekends ago off the handicap access ramp which is the one place that melted away early. 

I heard the same thing...at least 3 salmons were caught couple weeks ago on the other side of the pond where I stopped by. Not sure if it's true or not. I was in the parking lot close to the pump station, saw a lot of jumping around, especially the water outlet area. Some really big ones i guess.

They'll stock it very soon...it's time to gear up.  ::) :D

PeterSaloom

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Anyone know anything about when central MA ponds in Hubbardston, Wiinchendon, and Gardner will be stocked?

pipes18079

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2011, 02:15 PM »
I caught one bow today there on powerbait I talked to the lady that caught the salmon.

F.R.E.D.

• Get Bent!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2011, 06:05 PM »
Dead Sea was stocked today . . . get 'em before my dad catches them all!

qqbmwcichlid

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2011, 07:20 PM »
I caught one bow today there on powerbait I talked to the lady that caught the salmon.

Nice! where did you catch the bow? the same place as the salmon got caught? any sign of new stocking?

sull155

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:46 PM »
I'll be fishing North Lake @ the dead sea for a couple hours on saturday.  I'm hoping for some holdovers, I was hoping they wouldnt stock it till next week. 

GrupaHntr

« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2011, 08:16 AM »
I am going to fish Massapoag saturday for holdovers. hopefully the truck will come by there soon 8)

pipes18079

« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2011, 08:17 AM »
Nice! where did you catch the bow? the same place as the salmon got caught? any sign of new stocking?
Well I caught it close by I believe. I don't think it has been stocked as of yesterday morning anyways

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.