little black jig

Smelt
« on: Mar 23, 2011, 02:07 PM »
Has anyone heard of a smelt run yet?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Smelt
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2011, 02:29 PM »
I thought smelt swam.. ;D ;D    To early...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Inwellb4light

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2011, 04:12 PM »
To early...

Seems like it always used to be 2nd-3rd week in April at the earliest.  Caroga smelt anyway
I tend to think of "LUCK" as the point at which preparation meets opportunity...

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2011, 04:18 PM »
there are still smelt left in ny?? i can remember smelting as a kid and we would have a limit for 4 guys in about an hour, now i have heard people cant get a limit for 4 guys in a week, at least around cayuga.  If i am wrong please tell me.
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2011, 05:14 PM »
A couple of the finger lakes and Ontario tribs are your best bet...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

little black jig

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:17 PM »
We catch them through the ice on one of the finger lakes but I want to try to dip them this year. Looking for some info around Lewiston to be more exact.

rainrock

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I've heard that it won't be until some time in April for the Lewiston area. I'm no authority on the matter, but I remember last year it was probably around mid April when my uncle went out and got a limit in less than an hour in the lower Niagara.

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2011, 10:26 PM »
Mid april or so. Last spring the lower river was insane ! Haven"t seen that many in years.

Pequod1

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2011, 04:04 AM »
I can't remember the exact dates, but they ran for a solid week at Lewiston last year. I believe it was early, starting the second week in April. It was absolutely amazing. On our first trip there we parked the car in the lot and were listening to a redwings game. They were in the top of the fourth inning. We had our limits and were back in the car for the fifth inning!( Of course they lost) Have to keep this board alive and if anyone goes and gets them, please post. No secrets about this sort of thing - there are plenty for everyone.

kvf650

« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2011, 05:45 PM »
If your near the area they have a smelt fest in lewiston. Its on May 6 ,its a good time .They have a free smelt frying , a band and beer. That is usually a bit late to go dipping though,usually around when the ice boom is let out. about mid April.

smokey

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2011, 09:19 PM »
I wish it was legal to dip smelt here. They've literally got encon officers hiding in the bushes, waiting.

1fish@atime

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2011, 07:12 AM »
You can dip smelt Smokey, just a short drive north.

GAR

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2011, 08:05 AM »
This one's easy - Last year it was the first week of April at Artpark. I got my limit in 3 scoops.  Sometimes it takes hours and you'll dip and dip with nothing in the net, then 3...4... 2... 1...   it's hard work and the water level goes up and down, but the company is pretty good and every once in a while they pile-up close to shore and let everyone limit out. Lantern, bucket, waders, headlamp, and a warm coat that you don't mind getting wet. Here's the trick - when the Forsythia bloom (those yellow bushes) it's time to go up there. Keep watching Niagara River reports. Stand pretty deep and scoop right down to the bottom. Scoop hard and sweep upward with force at the end of your stroke. You'll see some interesting contraptions out there - some guys have 15 foot poles with great big nets - I use the standard stuff - a regular old scap-net. Works just fine.

smokey

« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2011, 08:21 AM »
You can dip smelt Smokey, just a short drive north.
Is it legal to dip at Schroon Lake? I know theres a pretty healthy population in there. Any tips on where to go?

tonebea

« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Is it legal to dip at Schroon Lake? I know theres a pretty healthy population in there. Any tips on where to go?

No, it's not legal. NYS fishing regulations list all lakes that are legal, size of net allowed, hours, limits, etc. Link to the regulations here - http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7917.html

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.