FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012  (Read 414968 times)

OneidaLakeEyes

• Ready for Walleye season yet?
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012
« Reply #345 on: May 09, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Got out this afternoon for a bit. Got fish in 16-20 fow on a purple and black bucktail jig tipped with a crawler. Made 3 short drifts and got my limit in 25 minutes :)

Walleye, Bullhead, Pike, Trout. Its that time of year again.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #346 on: May 10, 2012, 10:32 AM »

Sounds like the boat bites going strong..... I went down last night and fished from 4 of my favorite shore spots, it was kind of strange, perfect west chop, but no bait and very few fish, I worked hard for 4 hours casting sticks, ended up getting 11 eyes, but it took 4 hrs and half were short...if I hadn't been fishing alone and was fishing with a couple guys, we would have shared those bites and only got 3 or 4 each...... feels like the shore bite is already dieing 3 weeks ahead of schedule.  We'll see.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

octanehi5

• WORK WAS MADE FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T FISH
« Reply #347 on: May 10, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Thats why they call it fishing not catching. any time you get to go fishing is a good thing,and catching a few is even better. I do not see the problem. Rule # 1 don't leave fish to find fish
If it was easy they would have called it catchin,not fishin

SNAGGER

« Reply #348 on: May 10, 2012, 11:02 AM »
Thats why they call it fishing not catching. any time you get to go fishing is a good thing,and catching a few is even better. I do not see the problem. Rule # 1 don't leave fish to find fish

Never said there was a problem, I had an absolute riot fishing last night, fished in wind and rain.....I always have more fun when its tougher, because I'm trying to figure them out. Just letting these guys know that the shore bite will be going early, so maybe a few of them plan accordingly in the next 2-3 weeks .
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Hookinup

• Bangin' bottom & gettin' bit !
« Reply #349 on: May 10, 2012, 12:03 PM »

feels like the shore bite is already dieing 3 weeks ahead of schedule.  We'll see.

Seems like almost everything is about three weeks ahead of schedule this year.

SNAGGER

« Reply #350 on: May 10, 2012, 12:16 PM »

I don't have 30-40 yrs on Oneida like some guys, but my notes from 12 yrs of shore casting says that once the shorts show up, its just about over. Shorts don't usually show up until memorial day weekend which usually coinsides with the mass schools of buckeyes doing that wave thing they do on the top of the water just before they leave for deeper water. You know if you've seen it, you shut the car door and the surface goes nuts with rippling buckeyes..  Theres the least amount of bait I've ever seen right now, don't really know what to make of that, that ones got me confused for this time of year. Very few sucking noises going on in the dark.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Hookinup

• Bangin' bottom & gettin' bit !
« Reply #351 on: May 10, 2012, 12:44 PM »
I often wish I had written down data like you have. I started a few times, but it always fell to the way-side. How do the water temps compare to past years for what the fish are doing?

I know the solunar tables showed that opening weekend was supposed to be good. Do you find those tables to have any clout?

SNAGGER

« Reply #352 on: May 10, 2012, 01:13 PM »
I often wish I had written down data like you have. I started a few times, but it always fell to the way-side. How do the water temps compare to past years for what the fish are doing?

I know the solunar tables showed that opening weekend was supposed to be good. Do you find those tables to have any clout?

You know what hookinup, water temps are normal, 48-60 depending how close you are too a tributary is normal for this time of year according to my notes..... its just we got the walleyes spawning before the closing in March, buckeyes started doing whatever it is they do shallow in March also way ahead of schedule...When I went perch fishing off a boat on March 18th, there was more bait on the surface then last night, how screwed up is that?...... Everything is out of order......So temperature isn't a good gauge this year, as the lake has warmed to 60 twice only to fall back to normal levels. I kind of don't know what to make out of it, like our ice season, just going with it....

Heres an interesting factoid Jim, last week, Lake Ontario at 52 degrees was warmer than shallow Oneida lake at 48 degrees..In May!!! When has that ever happened before?
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

OTIS

« Reply #353 on: May 10, 2012, 03:09 PM »
Theres the least amount of bait I've ever seen right now, don't really know what to make of that, that ones got me confused for this time of year. Very few sucking noises going on in the dark.

The marina's are LOADED with bucheye's!  They have been for a month now.  Something has been picking at them though, there's not nearly as many as there was.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

fishhooksul

• Live to fish...
« Reply #354 on: May 10, 2012, 03:44 PM »
i'm seeing the same thing on the west end also. not near as many bait fish near the shore. the night bite is just about over.

2 weeks ago sunday night it was quite the opposite. you could have walked on the bait fish, and the thousands of walleyes feeding on them !!!

the gates are open, and the water is still rising !! about 8" just today. it could change things in the walleye dept.   later...

KingPerch

« Reply #355 on: May 10, 2012, 03:56 PM »
No baitfish here either....I was wonder why there's no bites today!! ;Dhttp://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae145/KingPerch/IMAG0406.jpg[/img]]
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

KingPerch

« Reply #356 on: May 10, 2012, 03:58 PM »
I stopped at a couple spots we fish during the week Sully. I saw baitfish cruising the shorelines at those stops. ;) titelines!!--KP
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

SNAGGER

« Reply #357 on: May 10, 2012, 05:08 PM »
The marina's are LOADED with bucheye's!  They have been for a month now.  Something has been picking at them though, there's not nearly as many as there was.

I launched out of Holmes and snug 3 times since Friday and stopped there last night, very few, almost none. a dozen under a street lamp, but thats it.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Hollywood

« Reply #358 on: May 10, 2012, 05:09 PM »
You know the boat bite is good when you stop to fish after work & you post that on here at 6:09... ;D

SNAGGER

« Reply #359 on: May 10, 2012, 05:12 PM »
You know the boat bite is good when you stop to fish after work & you post that on here at 6:09... ;D
  showoff!!  :D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.