FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012  (Read 414744 times)

lehigh vally

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012
« Reply #1425 on: Jul 03, 2012, 10:06 PM »
Really? Oneida Lake has pretty strict walleye regs.  Most of New York states walleye limit is a 5 fish limit where as Oneida Lake has a 3 fish limit of at least 15 inches. Used to be 18 inches until DEC figured out that most of the fish being kept were females of breeding age which hurt the population more than anything.  Seems that they have it figured out pretty good.  Not to mention that at least 500-1000 walleyes made it through winter this year with the bad ice conditions due to the mild winter we had.  I would say when you go out and catch 40-50 keeper eyes between a couple guys and you release all but six fish that is some serious catch and release and it also shows the walleye population can support the 3 fish limit. 
    :clapping:   :clapping:

gunnerdk

« Reply #1426 on: Jul 03, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Fished the north shore this evening. It took about an 1 and and 45 minutes for the 3 of us to get our limit. We are very new to the walleye game and surprised to do so well. We spent the whole time jigging 45 fow....

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #1427 on: Jul 03, 2012, 11:02 PM »
Good bite going on this summer!  Glad u guys had some success on the eyes out there!  :thumbup_smilie:
Nice job findin em

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #1428 on: Jul 03, 2012, 11:10 PM »

Nice haul Gunnerdk!!! ...Alot of fun jiggin that deep isn't it.  :laugh:

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #1429 on: Jul 03, 2012, 11:16 PM »

to the catch and release guy... I have no idea why the eyes are biting so well this year, very low winter harvest is one key factor, favorable weather conditions every weekend since the opener is another, but the big easy bite will end eventually, probably after the young of the year shad get large enough to fill there bellies ,or we trim this population back into a normal proportion... who knows, but until then its great for the masses, young and old, average or veteran....... When the populations get back in check or these fish become full, it will get diffacult again and you'll work for your 3, like dead said though, even though were boating sometimes 40 in a few hours, were only keeping our limit. Just not working for them, these eyes seem very thin to me, like there populations need culling., atleast the ones deeper, the shallow fish are fatter and more healthy looking, seen them feeding on wigglers last week and perch fry last night. Who knows, I'd just enjoy it while it lasts, I myself look forward to a harder bite.
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

coachwarner

« Reply #1430 on: Jul 03, 2012, 11:52 PM »
Fish-On, you were in good company with those guys  8)
Got out for an hour & a half or so to try out a theory...got 6 then beat feet before the rain hit.
Ok Hollywood, the suspense is killing us, was the theory to see if cubby could locate fish going in reverse  ??? :laugh:

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #1431 on: Jul 04, 2012, 02:40 AM »
Fished the north shore this evening. It took about an 1 and and 45 minutes for the 3 of us to get our limit. We are very new to the walleye game and surprised to do so well. We spent the whole time jigging 45 fow....

Good work Gunner!
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

gatorsin09

« Reply #1432 on: Jul 04, 2012, 05:28 AM »

to the catch and release guy... I have no idea why the eyes are biting so well this year, very low winter harvest is one key factor, favorable weather conditions every weekend since the opener is another, but the big easy bite will end eventually, probably after the young of the year shad get large enough to fill there bellies ,or we trim this population back into a normal proportion... who knows, but until then its great for the masses, young and old, average or veteran....... When the populations get back in check or these fish become full, it will get diffacult again and you'll work for your 3, like dead said though, even though were boating sometimes 40 in a few hours, were only keeping our limit. Just not working for them, these eyes seem very thin to me, like there populations need culling., atleast the ones deeper, the shallow fish are fatter and more healthy looking, seen them feeding on wigglers last week and perch fry last night. Who knows, I'd just enjoy it while it lasts, I myself look forward to a harder bite.
biologist from cornell said perch fry population is way down which makes alot of sense to me. the eyes im getting are all thin and empty and extremely hungry! nothing in their bellies and theyre swallowing the bait whole

Hollywood

« Reply #1433 on: Jul 04, 2012, 05:39 AM »
The excellent season we are enjoying this year, in my opinion, is still not as good as the fishing was in the 80's, and I think it had more pressure and fish taken from it back then too. This lake has sustained so many changes in the last 20 years it amazes me that we still have such an incredible walleye lake. Take what ever fish are legal to take, but more importantly...USE THEM. If you have a freezer full, give them to people that love 'em, invite the guys for a fry, anything but letting them get freezer burned & wasted. Snagger's probably right though...tougher days will soon be here. But we'll go anyway and have as much fun or maybe even more!

Hollywood

« Reply #1434 on: Jul 04, 2012, 05:44 AM »
Ok Hollywood, the suspense is killing us, was the theory to see if cubby could locate fish going in reverse  ??? :laugh:

Coach, as long as we're downwind...they don't stand a chance!  8)
I'm training him to signal me by stomping his foot instead of humping someones leg. Passengers seem to appreciate it...especially those in shorts... ;D

fishhooksul

• Live to fish...
« Reply #1435 on: Jul 04, 2012, 06:30 AM »
The excellent season we are enjoying this year, in my opinion, is still not as good as the fishing was in the 80's, and I think it had more pressure and fish taken from it back then too. This lake has sustained so many changes in the last 20 years it amazes me that we still have such an incredible walleye lake. Take what ever fish are legal to take, but more importantly...USE THEM. If you have a freezer full, give them to people that love 'em, invite the guys for a fry, anything but letting them get freezer burned & wasted. Snagger's probably right though...tougher days will soon be here. But we'll go anyway and have as much fun or maybe even more!
I agree with you there hollywood ! the late 70's, early 80's were amazing. all you had to do is pull up to a weed edge, any weed edge, and hammer away !!! especailly perch.

i've been fishing for walleyes in the weeds, and there not as fat as they should be. I've caught some real monsters this year, but most of them are thin.   later...

filetandrelease

« Reply #1436 on: Jul 04, 2012, 06:41 AM »
for sure they are the skinniest eyes i've seen , i weighed several 20" eyes and the weights were from 2-2.2 lbs a well fed eye of that size should be right around 3 lbs and as of last week i'm not keeping anymore until my supply runs down , and all the eyes i've caught in the last 2 weeks had nothing in their stomachs either 

skunkedbywalleye

« Reply #1437 on: Jul 04, 2012, 07:00 AM »
Went with a great friend out bass fishing a few day ago and we had a blast. I caught a walleye in 7 FOW on a bright sunny hot day in July. I didn't even get it in the boat....I was tying a lure on a different rod so it took me by suprise and I looked like a Laurel and Hardy skit  ;D  I have not caught one sheephead yet and I am really disappointed....those are the best fighting (pound for pound)  freshwater fish I've caught.

My buddy thought he was in a bass tourney and tried to flip a walleye in the boat and it popped of the hook and went scooting across the deck right back in the water...the look on his face was priceless.

Going to the Cape this weekend for a Striper charter and I will miss Oneida. Tight lines to all

filetandrelease

« Reply #1438 on: Jul 04, 2012, 07:27 AM »

skunk that must have been funny and good luck with the stripers and a few pics would be nice

fishernet

« Reply #1439 on: Jul 04, 2012, 07:38 AM »
hey guys a good friend is up from south carolina he wants me to take him fishing any suggestions should i start in 40 fow out of cleveland or shak shols not sure i would like to put him on fish i usually jig fish thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.