FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012  (Read 414782 times)

billybob851

Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2012
« Reply #2850 on: Oct 18, 2012, 04:12 PM »
would someone be able to point me in the direction of carbones camp please? If its the north shore near what town? I think its somewheres between edgewater and jewel but not sure?

filetandrelease

« Reply #2851 on: Oct 18, 2012, 04:39 PM »

in a boat or by road ?you cant miss it , when out in the lake last monster heading east before Edge water [north shore]

billybob851

« Reply #2852 on: Oct 18, 2012, 05:03 PM »
in a boat. thank you for the info

NeverEnoughFishing

« Reply #2853 on: Oct 20, 2012, 10:19 AM »
Well, I've been humbled the past 4 trips out. First 2 weeks of Oct. with a limit of eyes every night with a good amount of C&R also. Then, like turning off a switch, I haven't even had a hit since in probably 12 hours of casting! Like I said in another post, 25 years of nighttime shore fishing has taught me a lot, and thank God one of the lessons is to fill the freezer while you can and truly appreciate those nights where a fish hits on every cast. Of course, as soon as I started bringing the camera so I can post pics on here, now I can't catch a fish  :w00t: :w00t: :cursing:

filetandrelease

« Reply #2854 on: Oct 20, 2012, 01:28 PM »

well they can be very camera shy along with being finicky ;)

Programmer

« Reply #2855 on: Oct 20, 2012, 03:16 PM »
Well, I've been humbled the past 4 trips out. First 2 weeks of Oct. with a limit of eyes every night with a good amount of C&R also. Then, like turning off a switch, I haven't even had a hit since in probably 12 hours of casting! Like I said in another post, 25 years of nighttime shore fishing has taught me a lot, and thank God one of the lessons is to fill the freezer while you can and truly appreciate those nights where a fish hits on every cast. Of course, as soon as I started bringing the camera so I can post pics on here, now I can't catch a fish  :w00t: :w00t: :cursing:

I have had the same problem. Started out good and now 3-4 trips of skunk...

Last night at oneida i had fish slashing the surface all around me, from 6" of water to 3', all along the shore. A couple of them almost seemed like they were going to end up on shore they were so close..

I'm still relatively new to the nighttime walleye casting, but I am assuming they were eyes. I have never seen them do that before. It started right at dark then ended up abruptly...The water was  little murky, I couldn't see what they were chasing and I didn't want to shine the water to spot for eye shine..

Think it was eyes? Is there anything else in there that would be doing this at night?

NeverEnoughFishing

« Reply #2856 on: Oct 20, 2012, 03:44 PM »
Programmer...I ALWAYS shine the water to look for "eye shine"...usually just a brief sweep of the area to see whats there. Don't keep the light on them too long. You don't need to stare at them anyway, it's just helpful sometimes to know they are there, especially if you have doubts that about the fish you hear slashing. In my experience the light will not spook them. I've even had some nights at the end of the summer when they're not in in large numbers yet where I'll walk the shore at one of my spots until I spot an 'eye, step back a bit, cast in that direction, and BAM. Limit. Of course, I've found that it's almost impossible to see them if the waters even slightly murky, so that might not have helped ya the other night anyway. Crystal clear water it's like their eyes have their own light source...a little bit of murk and nothing. So, it was probably 'eyes on a frenzy you saw the other night. It was dark, right? I don't know if I remember seeing them blitz bait like that with any daylight left this time of year. Next time that happens, try a very slow retrieve, just enough to feel the lures action(a floating lure), then pause...let it float...repeat...they will smash it on the surface or just as you give it the pause...good luck out there...we are running out of pleasant weather I believe...pretty soon we will get to the true name of this thread ;)

Programmer

« Reply #2857 on: Oct 20, 2012, 04:05 PM »
It started right at dark, right at black i should say. The water was murky for sure. That is part of the reason i didn't shine much. I made a quick sweep and didn't see anything when one slashed right to the side of me., but i was afraid of spooking them off.

i usually throw challenger jr', but had to switch to a storm thunderstick because of weeds. They ride higher in the water column.

I think you are right, I need to pause and twitch more. I think I was reeling to fast for the situation.

The urge to cast at the last splash was getting the better of me

NeverEnoughFishing

« Reply #2858 on: Oct 20, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Try a floating Rapala, F7 size. They ride the highest in the water column IMO. SLOWLY give the rod a nice, slow, long sweep and then let back on it. Repeat. If you are hitting weeds this way, do it slower or hold your rod a bit higher. As you sweep you will feel the lures action. If you hit weeds, stop immediately. The lure will usually just float up away from them and you can continue this retrieve. That said, I had one night this year where I had to reel almost as fast as I could and then give it 3 hard jerks and stop. Repeat. Not 2 jerks, not 4, but 3. It was the only thing they would hit. But the slow way I described is a good solid starting point. It does tend to change as the season progresses into colder. Frustrating though when they're slashing all around you but you can't get one, huh? Otisco Lake 'eyes will send you off in a strait jacket muttering incoherently.  :o

NeverEnoughFishing

« Reply #2859 on: Oct 20, 2012, 05:02 PM »

well they can be very camera shy along with being finicky ;)
I'm going to leave the camera home next time to test the theory. Of course, that'll be the night I see a 12 point buck and land a hundred pound sturgeon :laugh:

BUCKEYES

« Reply #2860 on: Oct 20, 2012, 07:29 PM »
Went out to the middle of the lake today. Water temp 57.6 on both my lowrances. Zero Eyes' again. Talked to one friend out there He had 3 trolling. Last year this time is was pretty easy to get a limit. Little flustered right now. Oh Well try  and  try again is only way to get em. Good Luck All

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #2861 on: Oct 20, 2012, 08:07 PM »
DEATH TO THE SHAD!  :w00t:
Nice job findin em

NeverEnoughFishing

« Reply #2862 on: Oct 20, 2012, 08:08 PM »
Wow, 57.6. Am I right in thinking that's quite a bit warmer than usual for this point in Oct? I never really check the temp. but that seems pretty warm. Thanks for that report.

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #2863 on: Oct 20, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Wow, 57.6. Am I right in thinking that's quite a bit warmer than usual for this point in Oct? I never really check the temp. but that seems pretty warm. Thanks for that report.
Its not to much above the norm for this time in Oct.  It can drop pretty quick.....hopefully it does!  :tipup:
Nice job findin em

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #2864 on: Oct 20, 2012, 08:51 PM »

Whad up dead, you ready?   :afro:
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.