FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: Rod building  (Read 11245 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Rod building
« Reply #135 on: Feb 13, 2021, 02:41 PM »
Thatís why my Bride always lettered mine. She has near perfect penmanship. Mine is a cross between Mandarin, Egyptian and a doctors prescription.

Kamar goes a long way.

Bob
ďYou can observe a lot by watching.ď

Yogi

KingPerch

• Do what You like, Like what You do...Life is Good!
« Reply #136 on: Feb 13, 2021, 02:44 PM »

Hey Mac, these pens work pretty good for under a clear coating. We use them to label crank baits we paint, before clear coat.
ďIíve never met a Perch I didnít like!!Ē 😁

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #137 on: Feb 13, 2021, 03:14 PM »
Yeah..but that assumes he knows how to write :rotflol:

They do work well. Iíve thought about signing some of my custom bobbers with them.

Bob

Yogi

Mac Attack

« Reply #138 on: Feb 13, 2021, 04:08 PM »
Yeah..but that assumes he knows how to write :rotflol:

They do work well. Iíve thought about signing some of my custom bobbers with them.

Bob

I've said it many times............."You're a funny funny guy Bob".

But you're right.
I have tried paint pens in the past and I simply cannot write anything legible on that small diameter blank.
It comes out looking like crap.

But thanks.

The labels will work if I can get something over them to protect them until I can get a coat of epoxy over them and it dries.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #139 on: Feb 13, 2021, 05:35 PM »
Just kidding around.

Do a test or two with blank labels . The Kamar is a lacquer and therefore has some volatile carriers. Thing is, it dries so fast that it doesnít seem to damage anything. I have a couple different brands Iíve gotten from Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Theyíre all about the same.

If it doesnít work out, you could always give the label a coat or two of polyurethane sealer. I use a water based polyurethane sanding sealer to fix the feather inlays on my bobbers. They get coated with spar varnish after that with no change. To me itís better than any color preserver Iíve ever used in rod building.

Anyway, epoxy topcoats arenít really aggressive. They donít have a lot of quick evaporating carriers. They work more on a chemical reaction to form a bond. Donít know why it would have affected your label that way.

Bob

Yogi

Mac Attack

« Reply #140 on: Feb 14, 2021, 02:45 PM »
I started the 2nd rod.  The 7.5í medium weight.  I reversed the colors on the wrap this time.  I redid that tiptop 6X!!!  I kept pulling the red accent wrap out.  Lotta swearing and I finally got it.  I think this black wrap with the red twist accent is going to look outrageous after I get the epoxy on it.  I stuck the sister rod in one of the pics for comparison.  My neck hurts from leaning over this thing.  Time for a single malt Irish whiskey on the rocks.  Should be another 2 weeks or so and they should be ready to ship.

Mac Attack

« Reply #141 on: Feb 27, 2021, 02:48 PM »
Just layed down the epoxy on the rod.
Almost done with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.