FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bottom bouncing for walleyes. Help!  (Read 6211 times)

GemCitySlayer

Re: Bottom bouncing for walleyes. Help!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 03:29 PM »
Here is something you should try:  (I have yet to try it but I have heard it works great).

Most of the walleye guys here are probably used to fishing twister tails (jigs) especially 2 of them rigged tandem.  Try bottom-bouncing that same rig,  two 3-4" twister tails rigged a foot apart or so.  From what I've been told the two jigs dance and dart around as the bouncer works its magic.  Supposedly works really good.  I think fish might get used to worm harnesses and blades... sometimes different is good.

eyewinder

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 09:23 AM »
GCS:  

I'm looking forward to trying your double-twister behind a bouncer--it's gotta work!  I want to run a similar kind of rig with smaller grubs/tubes up higher behind a rubbercore sinker for crappie, too.

olefish

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 10:52 PM »
If you are fishing 2 rods on the same side of the boat, I always use 2 differant weights.  OK so if there are 3 of you fishing use like 3 oz in the front off each side then 2 oz  mid boat and  1 oz off the very back.   The trick is paying attention when you let out your line, and on your turns.
We do this all the time with very few tangles..  We go  slow so the ones in the front hang straight down.  I have about 100 pre tied rigs with many different set ups I agree that be flexible and willing to try lots of differant combinations.

fishsmith

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 10:59 PM »
Thanks olefish, just got my bottom bouncer order in from cabelas...  Heading out tomorrow evening. I'll let ya know how we do.

GemCitySlayer

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 03:31 PM »
GCS:  

I'm looking forward to trying your double-twister behind a bouncer--it's gotta work!  I want to run a similar kind of rig with smaller grubs/tubes up higher behind a rubbercore sinker for crappie, too.

I am anxious to see how many people try it and see how it works.  Like I say, I have never tried it personally but know of some guys that do and they have not gone back to harnesses.   Let us know how it works!

olefish

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 09:32 PM »
I have run tails on thetop hook before and it did seem to make a big change in what I hooked.  But when I did try them nothing was working and it was just being inventive.. I have run one on a lidy rig though and had it work good.

Special

• Who wants to go fishing!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 03:24 PM »
Here is the first order to arrive to replace my supplies

O ya time to make some wormharnesses and go fishing.  In Picture are blades, Beads, I use 14lbs fluorocarbon line. Its nice to have a supply on hand especially in the boat. Last year, I lost a day or two of fishing due to not having the same pattern or blade that I just lost to a weed/tree/rock that was producing so I have made my own little harness box this year with multiple different colors, so if I lose one I can always make a new one in the boat.  Or experiment if I'm getting bord.  ::)
No one left behind  

Monarch8x8

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Two words.  Glow beads.  I tied some harnesses last year and five white glow beads with chartruse blade out fished every color including just plain white beads five to one.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 06:26 PM »
Here is a little tip...

Craft stores sell beads dramatically cheaper than bait shops. There is usually much more of a selection also.

You can make some pretty stupid stuff to irritate the walleye snobs too! Skulls, Santa Claus, kittens, flowers, all kinds of things that a 12 year old would love! I had a lindy rig rig made with beads that looked like a skull, I called it the grim reaper! ::)

eyewinder

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Skipper:

I like your style!

I buy all of my beads (and some spinner blades, when available) out of bargain bins and craft stores.  Beads (glow or no glow) should not be expensive.

eyewinder   :)

Houligan

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Ditto's!!!!!!

I buy soft plastics by the 10 pound bag for about 20 bucks verses 6-20 for 3-5 bucks. Beads the same. The lil woman makes bead jewelry and does buy some expensive beads but some of the cheap-o shops she shops at have just about everything a fisherman would need including some clevises.

If you want to add some attractant to your rig try some faceted or smooth glass beads.

When running bouncers experiment with the length of leader and speed you are running. I have used up to a 12+ foot leader and trolled pretty fast with success. Many times its not the color but the presentation that makes a difference.

Edit: The most important thing about any bait is to fish where there are fish. You can throw the world at them and if no one is home they aren't going to bite. Many times we think a single bait is the ticket when in fact its just that we finally found fish and they have the feed bag on willing to hit anything. When you do catch fish is when you need to change up and try different rigs to see what works. If you still catch them on many different baits you know its feeding time or possibly vibration or profile etc. but if you get nothing then switch back to what was working you then know you have something specific they want on the given conditions/time/speed/color etc etc etc...

GemCitySlayer

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 03:34 PM »
I'll agree with that.  I think sometimes anglers get too caught up in a hot color or lure.  When in reality the fish would probably hit a variety of other options especially when they are really on the feed.  But it can be hard to experiment much when what you are using is catching fish ;)  Time to try something new is when you're not ;D

Special

• Who wants to go fishing!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 05:14 PM »
Here is a little tip...

Craft stores sell beads dramatically cheaper than bait shops. There is usually much more of a selection also.

You can make some pretty stupid stuff to irritate the walleye snobs too! Skulls, Santa Claus, kittens, flowers, all kinds of things that a 12 year old would love! I had a lindy rig rig made with beads that looked like a skull, I called it the grim reaper! ::)
Question is there a craft store in Gillette Wyoming that sells beads? Anyone know.  At $3.5 plus a gallon traveling to rapid or billings make the Lindy beads look better, with cabelas shipping at $5 bucks make a big differences in cost plus time value of my time looking for the bloody things. But I due agree on crafts and I've looked in craft stores but I don't want all the beads just a couple hundred would work for me.  And Lindy beads make it easyer for me and my cost is still ruffly $1 a harness.
No one left behind  

Houligan

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Special
I think there is a store in Sheridan called Ben Franklin that sells beads. Check if there is one in your area, if not, next time you get over to DeSmet just head up there. Next time Cindy is headed that way I might take a ride with her and get a look see or pick some up for you.

But it can be hard to experiment much when what you are using is catching fish wink  Time to try something new is when you're not grin
Yep! its hard to do when your having fun but if you cannot catch fish then its a moot point on what will work. I agree that at times when nothing is hitting sometimes a change will produce as long as you are on fish or maybe first try to change how your confidence bait is presented ie: speed, depth - whether suspended, just off the bottom or dead on the bottom, dragging the bait or slow lifts on the rod keeping the line tight on the way back to the bottom. Sometimes just adding a float to the bait rig will change things. The small price in experimenting here and there when you know you can catch fish helps pay off when the bite is scarce. Though if you are catching fish and try several different rigs with no action then you know the bait you are having success with has something about it they want on that particular day. Still its Location, Location, Location then presentation.

eyewinder

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Yeah, what Houligan said.  Ben Franklin is in the same location as Ace Hardware in Sheridan (1447 Coffeen).  And I'm pretty sure they do have beads.  But then, I believe that WalMart may have part of an aisle for "crafty" sorts that has packages of beads, too.

I find that the major expense in tying my own harnesses is the gorgeous blades that are available in small quantities for substantial prices.  I was extremely lucky though when my fishing partner's wife tied me up several dozen in all sorts of combinations for a birthday a couple years back.  I may never have to buy another live bait harness!  (Wish I could say the same about crankbaits. . .)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.