FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Some fish out of one of my ponds  (Read 4482 times)

taxid

Re: Some fish out of one of my ponds
« Reply #15 on: Jun 04, 2012, 03:03 PM »
Quality Deer Management?  Is that anything like the 'if it's brown its down' plan used by some people?   ::) :rotflol: :rotflol:

Nope just the opposite when it comes to bucks. You let them live a few years to get to trophy proportions but thin out the does.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mr. gill

« Reply #16 on: Jun 04, 2012, 03:47 PM »
I do let the small bucks walk. I try and get a nice doe first thing. I like messing with the small bucks to see how they react to a doe bleet,rattling ect. I use a climber all the time to stay mobil and not scent up.one are of the woods to much and it helps so deer cannot pattern u as well. I try and keep it simple and.not.over think stuff to much. I get up about 20-22 ft if i can.

walleyepac

« Reply #17 on: Jun 05, 2012, 12:37 AM »
Where did u say this pond is? NICE FISH!

NaturalistJeremy

« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2012, 08:36 AM »
Nice!

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Jun 21, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Where did u say this pond is? NICE FISH!

I'd rather not say as it's not just a fishing pond; it's part of my taxidermy business and provides additional income selling frozen fish to taxidermists as far away as Hawaii.

There are unscrupulous people out there that would be in danger from my 110 lb. Akita or 12 gauge.    ;D

Not referring to you of course.  ;)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Get_the_Net

« Reply #20 on: Jun 22, 2012, 12:09 AM »
I'd rather not say as it's not just a fishing pond; it's part of my taxidermy business and provides additional income selling frozen fish to taxidermists as far away as Hawaii.

There are unscrupulous people out there that would be in danger from my 110 lb. Akita or 12 guage.  

We call that natural selection!!!!    Good exercise for the dog and free target practice for you!!

NaturalistJeremy

« Reply #21 on: Jul 11, 2012, 08:04 AM »
Why do you sell fish to taxidermists?  For people that just want to buy a big mounted fish and not catch it?

taxid

« Reply #22 on: Jul 14, 2012, 01:09 PM »
Why do you sell fish to taxidermists?  For people that just want to buy a big mounted fish and not catch it?

For two reasons:

1.) It's illegal to sell fish out of public waters in most states (some exceptions).

2.) Trophy fish for showrooms, competitions, taxidermy schools, and fish replica makers are not a guaranteed catch as we all know.

I'm losing some of my biggest  perch to the heat. They're a coolwater fish and the largest ones have trouble with warm water (upper 80's) They're originally from Lake Erie 30 + generations ago so they are not all adapted to a tepid pond.

abishop

« Reply #23 on: Jul 14, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Sorry to hear that taxid. You would think that someone would invent some type of water cooler. They make heaters, why not coolers?

taxid

« Reply #24 on: Jul 14, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Sorry to hear that taxid. You would think that someone would invent some type of water cooler. They make heaters, why not coolers?

They do; they are called chillers but they are not cost effective for a million gallon pond. I used to have an underground line from my aquaculture well to run directly to this pond which would cool things down about 10 degrees but it's blocked for some reason. However it's only three fish so far out of a couple hundred so I may be O.K. Even if I could pump well water directly to this pond I'm not sure I would.

When I had trout (don't have trout in the trout pond this year) it would overflow into this pond and keep it about 10 degrees cooler.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.