FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: craw dads  (Read 3204 times)

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
craw dads
« on: Mar 30, 2005, 03:15 PM »
i got my first catch in my minnow traps today ;D two dace in one and a crawdad in the other i was wondering if any body has had any luck using crawdads for L.G mouths of the shore and how to rig them i was also wondering if anybody has had any luck using Swedish pimples off the shore
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: craw dads
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2005, 05:43 PM »
I actually tried Swedish Pimples once, didn't work, you should see the splash!

Congrats on the catch! Many many more will come as the water warms I am sure.
Crawdads are some of the besat bait for Large and Smallmouth Bass, maybe even better for smallies.  Take a hook, stick it offset in the tail. (off to a side a little bit so it lives longer.) There should be a splitshot up about 12-18". If the crayfish hide, I use a floating jighead as my hook, with  the heavy spiltshot up the line, it keeps the crawdad off the bottom, but still near it.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2005, 10:23 PM »
I'll take in laymen's terms here so more people can understand it.
You see the part where the "neck" of the crawdad (on its "back") connects to the rest of its "back" and there is a little line there? Slip a EWG hook up in there and push it through the shell. This way it swims naturally and definitely fishes better.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2005, 10:27 AM »
Just dissected a crawfish in bio last period, them smell was horrible! :sick:

TFB, wouldn't that kill the crayfish quickly?

Pikeguy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2005, 10:28 AM »
I will say this for swedish pimples, they really do a number on White bass from the shore. Don't see why they couldn't work for Largemouth and Smallies.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2005, 01:20 PM »
Just dissected a crawfish in bio last period, them smell was horrible! :sick:

TFB, wouldn't that kill the crayfish quickly?
Not if you only hook it through the shell. My brother caught one icefishing for lake trout, hooked it like this, and put it on the tipup. 3 hours later it was still alive.
And if you think crawdad smell is horrible, in my anatomy and physiology class this last week we have been doing cat dissections. On monday we get to start the brain ;D

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2005, 05:21 PM »
I can only imagine a cat, ughh, :sick:
The crayfish today was huge! 17cm from tail to the rostrum on the head!
8cm chelipeds! (Fancy word for claw that I learned today... ;D)

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2005, 07:54 PM »
you should ask you teachers if you can keep the leftover parts for chum ;D ;D :sick: :sick:
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2005, 09:19 AM »
They keep them in a formalin/water solution, I don't think it would work, other than maybe killing all fish nearby. Maybe its not too bad in open water, its a 24:1 ratio.... ::)

devil-man

« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2005, 09:42 AM »
On the rare occasion that I use crayfish I hook them as TFB described.
I don't know anything about raising them, but I do know that they don't have to be alive to catch fish.

Original FISHER Jodoin

« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Larry's love craws
GIT _ R _ DONE

big big rdg

« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2005, 09:53 PM »
Craw dads are goos bait in certain lakes. For instance at my home lake they are not natural bait, but if im fishing a lake that has them naturally in them they are very productive. I prefer to use shiners or even perch and sunfish. Smallies love craw dads too. Good Luck ;D
FSHON!

gillmaniac

• I Don't Go Fishing, I Go Catching!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 08, 2005, 10:44 AM »
I recomond using them. They work so good for bass and gills. I use them in the juniata and we kill the smallies and gills. '

gill
I am a maniac for gills!!!!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2005, 01:46 AM »
I have not fished live craws much but I know anything that swims will eat them. In fact they are the main forage for most all fish where I live, from trout to catfish. Even pike burp up lots of them.
We have some huge crawdads up to 8" long in some lakes around here. I bet their pinchers and tails would be tasty.
I have ate the tails before and it tastes more like shrimp than lobster.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.