FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What Lb. Test?  (Read 3240 times)

yoda

What Lb. Test?
« on: Apr 06, 2005, 07:10 AM »
What pound test line are people using when fishing the fast water?  And what rigs are working best in these type conditions?  I'm new at the trout fishing game so please throw me a bone.   ;D

archbishop

Re: What Lb. Test?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2005, 07:23 AM »
i just use my 6# test and float a bobber above a gold hook (depending on how deep the water is, how far i put the bobber up usually 24") with 2 heavy split shots 8"-10" above the hook to keep it on bottom in the current and let it bounce along in the current and lately ive been using wax worms or red worms but ive had most of my success out of the current in the eddies and just letting it sit on the bottom or swirl in the current

onyunn

• Bassin'
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2005, 07:33 AM »
I use 2lb Maxima UltraGreen, or 4lb Maxima Chameleon, I sometimes use small Caty Jigs, but mostly a #6 Red Octopus Hook, no swivels, and small lead weights 18" up the line, quantity depends on water current.  I use just enough to get it to the bottom so it bounes along without getting snagged.  I generally use red worms or nightcrawlers.  I also use spinners, but prefer spinner/fly hybrids http://www.clearwaterlures.com I use ultralight gear, including a 5'  Kencor SP5V, with a TICA SS500 Reel, or a BPS Extreme 5'6" Light Action Rod also with a TICA SS500 Reel.
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.  ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2005, 08:05 AM »
I usually do all my trout fishing with 4# low vis green Stren or Trilene and rig up much the same as onyunn.  #6 or 8 red hook tied directly to the line with salted minnows (early season) or small nightcrawlers (some places call them baby nightcrawlers).  Put on just enough split shot to get your line down so it ticks the bottom as the current moves it.  This gives your bait a more natural presentation and since stream trout are generally ambush feeders (especially in cold water) they wait for the current to wash fodd into them.  I use a 4.5' to 5.5' ultralight setup (I have several  ;D). 

If you are talking about steelhead I usually use 6# Stren set up the same way with hook and split shot to drift egg sacks.  If the water is low and clear I will attach a small black ball bearing swivel to the 6# line, then attach a 4# or even as low as 2# flourocarbon leader.
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

d_balm24

• WORK is for people who don't know how to FISH.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2005, 08:53 AM »
I use a 4.5 foot microlight with 4 lb test. I use size 6 or 8 hooks with a  piece of nightcrawlers. You gotta use a lot of split shot when the water is really fast let it bounce around on the bottom.

wormwigglr

« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2005, 04:21 PM »
i use size 10 or 12 hooks with a wax worm if i live bait fish for trout. i drift this on a fly rod because i find it easier for me to keep pitching instead of casting and reeling. the small hook usually hooks them in the side of the mouth but if they are real aggressive and swallowing my hook i switch to a 8.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2005, 06:43 PM »
4 pound Trilene. Nightcrawlers on a #10 hook, with just enough splitshot. ;)

gillmaniac

• I Don't Go Fishing, I Go Catching!!!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2005, 07:47 PM »
I have 4 on my crappie rod and 8 on my bass rod. I use stren low vis green.

gill
I am a maniac for gills!!!!

beerman

• mmmm..........Beer!!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2005, 08:43 PM »
I prefer 4-6 trilene green, drifting minnows or nightcrawlers.  i just started using fireline(8lb test, 3lb diamater) and i love it so far(casts great and the no strech is really nice) havent caught much fish yet on it so i dont know if it makes a difference hooking up w/ trout. Anyone else like the fireline??
I'll have a double Jack and Coke!!

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2005, 09:06 PM »
i use a size 14 hook with about for of the smallest split shots that i have with a bobber adjusted to depth of area i am fishing. the bobber really serves no purpose because i like bounce the bait of the bottom.  or just off the bottom
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

synergyboy10

• summer time flag
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2005, 09:07 PM »
and a 4, 6 lb leader depending on the clearity of the water
hurry grab that rod.

www.teamthrillseeker.com

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2005, 09:11 PM »
I use six pound original stren when fishing for trout. I almost always drift worms when fishing in a river. I use a #6 gamakatsu or tru turn hook, along with one or two #4 or #5 split shot.

Tyler

keny

• I like it wet
« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2005, 12:32 AM »
10# for pike and pickeral in all coditions using spoons or pickeral rigs

devil-man

« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2005, 02:28 AM »
I stick with 4# Sensation on a 5'5" light action spinning rod. I tried 2# Vanish this year (left over from the ice) and it gave me nothing but problems.

wny angler

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2005, 12:22 PM »
i always use 6 lb stren -low vis green and tie on a flourocarbon leader 4 - 5 or 6 lb test depending on water clarity. lots of snags in streams so i use the 6lb line so all i lose is the leader when breaking off snags.
 for fast water just use a hook with a worm and enough splitshot above to feel it tick along the bottom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.