FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Too Much Stuff  (Read 3725 times)

Melrose

Too Much Stuff
« on: Apr 11, 2005, 07:54 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone has any good ideas.   My problem too start is “Me” I’m a Freak.  I always take too much stuff no matter what I’m doing i.e. camping, hunting, going to races etc. and most especially fishing.  My tackle box is always so full I can’t even work out of it.  I know what your thinking upgrade… Bigger… well I tried that and guess what I just fill those too now I have this humongous tackle box (Plano - Guide Series #7771) totally full cant even fit another split shot in.  Plus a 5-gallon bucket for my knives, powerbaits, bobbers, stringers and a million other things.  I have Bass and Trout fishing mixed together because I use a lot of the same stuff like weight, swivels, tools and other stuff I like to have.  Well my fishing buddy just got a soft bag and he loved it soooo…. I went to store and started looking at these I kind of don’t really like them mainly because you really can’t have them open and “work” out of them like a hard box.  I started looking at these and they had ones that were like three different tackle bags that cant be zippered and attached to make one complete system and then I saw this huge bag “Okeechobee Fats” or something like that and put it on top of my carriage cause it wouldn’t fit down inside.  I went to the register and the lady called for a price check a described it as a “fishing item that looks like a huge piece of luggage”.  Then I had visions of this thing totally full sitting 4’ off the bench seat in my 12’ aluminum boat.  Not to mention gas motor and gas can, Trolling motor and two 12 volt marine batteries, 2 anchors, chain & rope, jackets and seat pads, 6’ net, 6-rods, cooler and all the other stuff that takes me 2 hours to load.  (I put the bag back) I know get a bigger boat … right? Well I’m looking right now but what should I get a dam “Tugboat” so I can pull a raft full of stuff “I Might Need” I know what you’re thinking, that I need help… yeah to carry my stuff… but no seriously does anyone else feel like this and what do you use.  I guess I’ll keep my big box and get a reasonably sized tackle bag for now.   Oh yeah , I already know.. The back in the ol’ days they just used a willow branch and one mud worm dug off the bank and caught plenty of fish story.  But seriously I like to have my stuff with me and this is getting to be a problem. People are starting to talk.   

Melrose

Too Much Stuff
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2005, 07:55 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone has any good ideas.   My problem too start is “Me” I’m a Freak.  I always take too much stuff no matter what I’m doing i.e. camping, hunting, going to races etc. and most especially fishing.  My tackle box is always so full I can’t even work out of it.  I know what your thinking upgrade… Bigger… well I tried that and guess what I just fill those too now I have this humongous tackle box (Plano - Guide Series #7771) totally full cant even fit another split shot in.  Plus a 5-gallon bucket for my knives, powerbaits, bobbers, stringers and a million other things.  I have Bass and Trout fishing mixed together because I use a lot of the same stuff like weight, swivels, tools and other stuff I like to have.  Well my fishing buddy just got a soft bag and he loved it soooo…. I went to store and started looking at these I kind of don’t really like them mainly because you really can’t have them open and “work” out of them like a hard box.  I started looking at these and they had ones that were like three different tackle bags that cant be zippered and attached to make one complete system and then I saw this huge bag “Okeechobee Fats” or something like that and put it on top of my carriage cause it wouldn’t fit down inside.  I went to the register and the lady called for a price check a described it as a “fishing item that looks like a huge piece of luggage”.  Then I had visions of this thing totally full sitting 4’ off the bench seat in my 12’ aluminum boat.  Not to mention gas motor and gas can, Trolling motor and two 12 volt marine batteries, 2 anchors, chain & rope, jackets and seat pads, 6’ net, 6-rods, cooler and all the other stuff that takes me 2 hours to load.  (I put the bag back) I know get a bigger boat … right? Well I’m looking right now but what should I get a dam “Tugboat” so I can pull a raft full of stuff “I Might Need” I know what you’re thinking, that I need help… yeah to carry my stuff… but no seriously does anyone else feel like this and what do you use.  I guess I’ll keep my big box and get a reasonably sized tackle bag for now.   Oh yeah , I already know.. The back in the ol’ days they just used a willow branch and one mud worm dug off the bank and caught plenty of fish story.  But seriously I like to have my stuff with me and this is getting to be a problem. People are starting to talk.   

CarogaKid

• If the fish aren't Biting....Grab another Beer!!
Re: Too Much Stuff
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2005, 08:30 AM »
Sounds like you didn't get enough hugs when you were a kid........ :P

Just kiddin, you should buy a smaller box and take only the lures and gear you are going to use for that day...Example if your goin after trout just grab some spinners leave the rest of it in the big box back at the truck.. And what do you need 2 anchors on a 12ft aluminum boat for??  6 rods on that small boat has gotta be a pain in the neck, there's prolly more time spent untangling lines then their is fishing.. Pack lite man........Oh well best of luck to ya bud..

carpcatcher

« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2005, 08:32 AM »
Did I hear someone say "PACK RAT". Melrose my suggestion is to downsize by 50%. P.M. me and I'll give you the address of where to send the extra stuff ;D
     Jim
Love 2 fish

Chainsaw

« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2005, 08:53 AM »
      Hey Melrose, that was supposed to be MY post, but since ya beat me to it I'll fill in some of the gaps, about why I take the ice-auger instead of the trolling motor, and how I have a special 8'x12' room, w/7' ceiling for just the overflow of fishin' stuff from the shed,(less bulky stuff), and the barn,(bigger, bulkier stuff).
      I now wonder if Sherry is actually watching TV or lookin' at all the ice fishin' stuff that's supposed to be in the 'Fishin' Room' instead of still drying out behind the woodstove. Three SIX gallon buckets of ice-rods,traps, the NEW underwater camera, Vexilar, Hummin'Bird, and the portable ice shanty still up and 'Drying out', that we have to stoop to walk through to get to the kitchen.
       I've ask her not to hang laundry from the flylines that I've strung along the ceiling,(it's only 50', twice, for each of four), for cleaning, reel change or treatment, and now that it's SUMMER mayhap the motorcycles can be left outdoors while the boats are being worked on in the shop. I haven't even gotten to the fish part yet, and why she has to try to sleep to the sounds of the air pump keeping the bait alive in the old laid up well alongside the house. I'da covered it with the sound deadener I got for the job but it keeps all the tackle boxes and junk quiet when it's in the boat.
        Gee Melrose, mayhap there's another barn for rent nearby for our stuff. There's no more room in my barn in Gilboa, or Gregs in Duanesburg, and Sherry's Dad's barn is full of hay and tractors. What's a fisher person to do?  ??? :D ;D

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2005, 11:53 AM »
Melrose, you sound like my dad. It takes him hours to get ready, and he always brings waaaaaaay too much stuff. Food for 5 days, even if we are going to a city place, fire building stuff, 3 sets of clothes each, rain clothing, 2 huge, full coolers, heavy backpacks for each of us, camping stuff for emergency (tent, sleeping bag, etc.), head lights for dark, and if we are taking our personal pontoon boats, each pouch is full of other stuff to fix them, spare ore parts, air pumps, etc. He is the worst packrat in history, but for the last year or so, (except when we take our pontoon boats) I've gotten him to tone it down.
Here are some ideas that worked with him:

1) Your huge tackle box: I'm sure you have a few select baits you go to at any given time, and you don't ever use, or very rarely use, 80-90% of your tackle box. Select a few of each type of presentation, for example here's what I do sometimes (it varies): three packs of senkos, 3" white, 5" red, 4" brown. 1 pack of 2/0 gamakatsu EWG hooks, 1 pack of 1/0 gamakatsu EWG hooks, 1 pack of 1 gamakatsu EWG hooks. Each of those goes with relative senko. Each color of senko is selected for a reason, red if the water is more stained, brown if relatively clear, white if clear. The sizes also are relative to that type of water. Next, my other type of presentation would be rattletrap, IMO the best crankbait around for bass. I carry four, a shad color in 1/8 oz. and a shad color in 1/4 oz. A fire tiger in 1/4 oz, and a fire tiger in 1/8 oz. Again, this covers if the water is clear (the shad color), or murky (the fire tiger color). The sizes are also relative to what the fish want on the day, with a small size and a large size. My last presentation is for topwater bass. I like rapala skitter pops. I carry them in two sizes, and two different colors of each, again relative to what the fish are eating. I also carry two sizes (1/4, 3/8 oz) of spinnerbaits as emergency lures if nothing else works.  Now that is what, 10 total lures and a few packs of senkos. Doesn't take up much space. I have a lure for each aggressiveness of bass, nonagressive is senkos, neutral is rattletrap, aggressive is spinnerbait. The poppers cover if the fish are top feeding. Those 10 total lures and senkos take up little space, are relatively cheap, and can catch fish in any conditions I will face for bass. For trout, I carry water gremlin sinkers in sizes 3-5, 2 packs each. 50 eagle claw #6 baitholder hooks. 2 packs of 24 worms from walmart. 1 Spare spool filled with 4 lb. test in case I am fishing finicky waters (normally I use 6). I also carry 10 curly tail grubs, 5 rigged on 1/8 oz jigheads, 5 rigged on 1/4 oz jigheads. Carry a few of both white and brown. And you are all set for trout. The trick is to travel light, which this does. I can fit all of this stuff into one small plano tub, but usually put different presentations in tiny, labeled pieces of tupperware, and then put in my backpack. Those are all the bass and trout presentations you'll need, unless you are facing extreme conditions. Substitute a few of your favorite presentations in from mine if you wish, just make sure you cover the basics situations.
2) Put anything extra (food, extra clothing, jackets, boat repair items, etc.), in your truck. It takes up valuable space and you probably won't need it anyway. The plus side is if you use nonperishable food, you can keep this stuff back there for a long time without having to repack.
3) It's okay to be a packrat, just try to keep your nonfishing related items in your truck or at your house if you are relatively sure you don't need them. In the summer, here is all the extra stuff you will need, if you are planning a daytrip and not night fishing: if it is cloudy, bring rain gear, if it isn't, don't. Bring a light jacket. Bring one set of spare clothes, leave in truck. Bring one headlamp, keep with you at all times. Bring one small net if fishing in a boat and planning to keep fish, if planning to release, just take a picture of them next to the boat and shake em free. appx. 128 oz of beverage for yourself. for food, bring a few powerbars, maybe a pack of jerky, an apple, and a bit of cheese. This food covers the basics, powerbar and apple for carbs, jerky and cheese for protein. This and the beverage can be kept in one average cooler. In review, pack stuff for your basic needs, but don't be stupid. Don't bring an icefishing jacket during the summer. :P

Sorry to be long winded but I have a lot of experience with the world's worst packrat, and I have toned it down SOME with all of this. You are probably going to be a packrat forever though.

Melrose

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2005, 11:57 AM »
Caroga , Thanks for your input.  I do like two anchors to keep the boat from moving during windy conditions, and I like all the rods cause I set two up for trolling to the fishing spot and set up four with barrel weights and rigged for powerbait for me and my boy -or- if I'm Bass fishin I like to have a 1 rod set up w/ Spinner & 1 w/ floating stick bait & 1 w/ suspended stick & 1 w/ deep diver & 1 with plastic and 1 ready for worm & bobber during breaks. I know, I know I just cant help it.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2005, 12:09 PM »
i separate my bass and trout stuff.  All my bass stuff goes in a bass pro shops extreme boat bag, large and waterproof, which is 6 Plano 3700  boxes, a spinnerbait box, and 4 worm binders (each with 2x pages).  I bring this bag with me on any boat bigger than 12'. anything smaller than that or for shore fishing, and i have a few Plano 3600's that i can stuff what tackle i need in for the day.

My trout stuff goes in another smaller soft tackle box (designed to hold 5 3600's).  I have my trout stuff organized in my vest and in 3500's - one box for big spinners, one for small spinners, one for cranks, two for soft plastics, two for spoons, etc etc.  I also keep one empty, which i load up with what i need for that fishing session.

Melrose

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2005, 12:10 PM »
Trout Fishing Bear,  That sounds like great advise however even as I read it I have visions in my head of having good luck with a presentation as you mentioned then all of a sudden I lose it and my back ups are in the truck.   (mainly a spinner bait type senerio).  Thanks but I know me and I know I couldn't go without all my stuff.

mongo

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2005, 02:08 PM »
I am in the middle for looking for a bigger boat as the one I have now can not store all of my tackle and rods.

BlindSquirrel

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2005, 06:12 PM »
Words to live by: Always be prepared.  I would rather have too much stuff than not enough.
How shall I amuse myself today?

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2005, 06:20 PM »
Words to live by: Always be prepared.  I would rather have too much stuff than not enough.
And I'd rather have two good knees rather than one. :P Pack lighter!

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2005, 06:32 PM »
I was the same way having to much stuff in tackle boxes and when I got more tackle boxes I just filled them up.  I carry all of my stuff on the boat. Every box including panfish boxes, bass cranckbaits, spinnerbaits, topwater, 3 boxes of hooks and weights and then about 6 rods a piece for me and my dad.  We solved that problem of not having enough room in our old boat by buying a new one.  Now we have more space to fill up ;D
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2005, 06:39 PM »
what are you going to do when that one fills up? The cycle will continue until repomen come pounding at your door to take back your fishing stuff.

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2005, 06:44 PM »
With this new boat I dont think you can fill it up ;D  There is just so much storage on it.  It is kinda sad because when you go to the sporting goods store's you have one of alot of the lures.  Now I need to experiment with soem new lures. ;D
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.