FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dont Buy Cabelas  (Read 14081 times)

Baitbucket

Dont Buy Cabelas
« on: Oct 31, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Im starting this thread because I know alot of guys will be looking to buy gear from them soon.

A couple years back I purchased a pair of Cabelas brand boots. The reason for this is because of the warranty they came with.

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=ReturnsPolicy

What this lead me to believe was the same as it would any other normal honest human being. That as long as i dont destroy them on purpose (fire, wood chipper, etc) that they would be covered under warranty for normal wear and tear.

Well after last season they began leaking. So i contacted Cabelas and they said no problem send them in. The boots originally cost $79.99 and since they no longer make them I was going to use that money + and additional $120 to get the $199.99 Trans Alaska III Cabela boot.

Today I received this letter from them:

Baffled by this, as this doesnt sound like any kind of lifetime warranty i have heard of, I called them. Especially with them stating in the first line that it was covered.

What I found out will not only baffle you as well, but HOPEFULLY convince you to not buy from them ever again. Or at the very least, expect them to be honest, word keeping human beings.

I found out that this "Lifetime Guarantee" isnt on your lifetime. But on the lifetime of the product. A time that THEY determine!!!!! I asked if there is a way for me to know what Cabelas dictated lifetimes are on certain items, and was told there is no way to know. They just decide.

Essentially meaning that no matter when you send your item back, they can say their "dictated lifetime" on your item has expired. And offer you a % of what you paid.

It really is to bad they have adopted this deceitful way of doing business. I can only hope that in sharing this lesson with all of you that it will save you the same hassle.

If it does, or if you agree with me, spread the word. Tell your friends, post on forums and blogs. Don't let other fellow fisherman/hunters fall victim to this.

bee

Re: Dont Buy Cabelas
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2013, 04:51 PM »
Bring them up to the store in Maine and trade up here.
Hookum & Cookum Otherwise Releaseum

robbi

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2013, 05:40 PM »
I'm really surprised by this.  I've never had a challenge when returning a product.......including a reel that was past the 1 year mark.  It is disappointing to hear......and although I used to be very pro Cabela's, I've rethought this since I started noticing where all their clothing was being made.  I've bought 1000's of dollars worth of goods through them and never thought to look, but all their clothing items that I've seen are not made in the USA.  I'm more discerning now on my purchases.

Baitbucket

« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I cant bring them anywhere. I shipped them back to cabelas (which cost me $15) as the closest store is 2hrs away.

Whats worse is they didnt say a word about it being out of their "lifetime" warranty over the phne when i called. I wasnt till after i shipped them and and the saw it should be covered.

Then all of a sudden they tell me they are out of warranty..

Dispy

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2013, 07:56 PM »
With regards to foot wear, I think that anyone whom believes that footwear will last forever, is slighty out of touch :) Even the most durable boots in today's market are subject to rigorous baseline testing before a product hits the open market and a pre-determined "lifetime" and an EOL ( End of Life) is assigned. Thus the term "lifetime of product." However, the problem herein lies that unless you suffer from some cleanliness dis-order and are extremely meticulous as to the proper care of your boots, even during the off season, the "real time" odds are that most persons do not. There also exists many variables that cannot be applied to one specific boot or person, as some may walk with their heels slightly wearing inside/outside, heel to toe, falling arches, flat feet, toe dragging etc. Not including the varied elements, conditions and environments to which the foot wear is subjected too. Kneeling down ( extreme toe bend causing the upper to fail), worn out soles from un-equal weight distibution, a heavier person will have more sole wear. The list and variables are endless.

I'd say that you are very lucky to have received their more than generous offer of compensation, considering that you purchased your boots a "couple years back" and they have been used for two years. Also, that "Well after last season they began leaking. So i contacted Cabelas and they said no problem send them in."  You knew about the leak last year and more than likely just returned them within the past month or so, given your Cabela's response today. Implying that Customer Service usually resolves issues within 30 days, or the statement of "no response will result in the return your product" would not have beed issued.

The term "Lifetime of Product" does not imply "Lifetime Guarrantee."  
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Bottombouncer

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2013, 09:12 PM »
I learned a few years ago when the sons took over and they all wanted to live like and be  millonares things changed. The products got made cheaper and the prices went up. They changed the return policy. Anything without the cabelas name on it was guarented for only 1 year and with cabelas name on it was lifetime. Go figure.

Baitbucket

« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2013, 04:42 AM »
Really Dispy?

You dont find it slightly suspicious that they didnt say a word about them being out of warranty when i called them.
It wasnt till after i shipped them in that they determined "oh these boots are past their lifetime guarantee".

Sorry man, thats wrong in any honest persons minds.

And yes i think the word LIFETIME means a LIFETIME.. As do thousands of people who have purchased their boots thinking the same.

landlockedsalmon

• Remember we all live downstream.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2013, 05:07 AM »
$79.99 a couple years ago?sounds like you got your moneys worth.lls
if everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.....

Baitbucket

« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2013, 06:16 AM »
They should change the wording to their guarantee to: "Spontaneously decided time dependent on whether or not the item falls under our warranty guidelines."

Because thats exactly what they are doing.

BTW for those wondering. I was told that their range for lifetime guarantees on boots are 1-5 years..

Dispy

« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2013, 06:40 AM »
I understand your frustration and have no affiliation with Cabela's, however I think you may have missed the point. Consumer awareness is one thing and mis-interpretations of the English language is another. The key wording here is " Lifetime of Product."  The best example to be simple enough to understand in laymen's terms the "Lifetime of Product"  - the product being a cup of coffee, the lifetime expectancy of the cup of coffee is about 20 minutes. Now I'll go get my free refill :D

"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

Baitbucket

« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2013, 06:55 AM »
And i think you missed the point when i said I CALLED THEM PRIOR TO SHIPPING.

They looked up the order, told me the item, and at NO TIME did the tell me they were NO LONGER COVERED.

It wasnt till after they got them in their office, decided they should be covered, that they decided they were no longer under the "Lifetime" guarantee.

Fishb4Family

« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2013, 07:27 AM »
I can understand one's frustration, however on the whole...I work at Cabelas and I can tell you that I have been "forced" on occasion to give store credit to customers who clearly never purchased the item at Cabelas, whether online, in-store, or thru a catalog. Unfortunately the problem isn't Cabelas as a store, it's in the consistency of its policies. 99% of the time the customer leaves Cabelas happy with their experience, but it's the 1% that always gets the attention on the message boards. Nobody jumps on here to say how great Dave was in the archery department because that's not bulletin board material. I can assure everyone that Cabelas isn't in business to piss off their customers, which they have done in this case. Im not trying to sway Baitbucket into feeling at ease with Cabelas, and not feel ripped-off. However, a "lifetime" of a "product" doesn't mean a "lifetime" of a human being owning the product. As far as not giving you a decision over the phone on the return. Cabelas employees do need to use their discretion on returns as it relates to the date of purchase, much like a insurance company looks at the value of a vehicle in relation to how much they will pay the customer to fix it. Again, 99 times out of 100 regardless of the situation Cabelas will make you happy, but Cabelas doesn't make any money off customers who use their products for a few years, and then return them.

Baitbucket

« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2013, 07:40 AM »
Firstly, i had a receipt, and the printed order.

Second, i didnt want my money back, i wanted to use it + an additional $120 to purchase another pair since the pair i sent was no longer made.

And Last, If Cabeals doesn't make any money from people who use an item for a couple years and try to have it replaced under a lifetime guarantee. How much money do they make from that frustrated customer ever again? And all the people they tell about their bad experience and poor service? And all the people those people tell? And all the people that read those posts, blogs, and reviews?

Im not out trying to screw them. Its a pair of boots i purchased for ice fishing, that have been on my feet at most 30 times over the past 2 years.
Boots that were purchased because of the lifetime guarantee...

Fishb4Family

« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2013, 07:59 AM »
I completely agree with your feelings. You shouldn't shop there ever again. That place is not for you. All I am saying is what you are trying to do is convince everyone on this forum which is thousands of people not to buy from Cabelas because YOU aren't happy with their return policy. As we have already seen on this thread, other members seem to understand the fact that "lifetime" of a boot could be 2 years or it could be 20 years. I for one, think its more than reasonable to use a pair of boots for 2 years and then get half your purchase price back towards a new pair of boots. Lets face it, we all have different theories or opinions on what makes us happy, or unhappy. You are pushing the issue on all of us who read these posts to not shop at Cabelas, because YOU are unhappy with your experience. But thats the beauty of this world we live in, you have every right to hate Cabelas and what they stand for, but Im not sure that well all should unite behind you in YOUR feelings of Cabelas.

Baitbucket

« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2013, 08:02 AM »
Im informing people of their deceitful ways. And judging by some of the replies Im seeing, im not the only one who has or could have been duped.

Im sorry you don't like the fact that I let the cat out of the bag on the scum bag practices of your company..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.