FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 235256 times)

filetandrelease

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3180 on: Sep 30, 2019, 11:41 AM »

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3181 on: Sep 30, 2019, 11:45 AM »

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3182 on: Sep 30, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Sounds interesting. Does she sell seed?

Friends of min went to the "Stinking Rose Festival" in Gilroy Ca. Brought back some great recipes and garlic.

Rg
The Elephant is the only mammal that can't jump!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3183 on: Sep 30, 2019, 04:20 PM »
Showed my bride the black garlic. Told her the process and that the house would smell like garlic for a while. She was quite fine with that.

Love that old girl!

I'll be setting up our little slow cooker in the basement tomorrow. Heaven knows I have enough garlic to experiment.

Rg

filetandrelease

« Reply #3184 on: Sep 30, 2019, 06:12 PM »

Nice I like the smell to ,
 My wife had the house smelling like thyme and rosemary
 Then it was chives , 👍

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3185 on: Sep 30, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Bob Im pretty sure all the samples she gave me can be planted...
Im going to have to mark all my rows this year....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3186 on: Oct 01, 2019, 02:44 PM »
Picked up my seed garlic this afternoon.

Don't know how many cloves there are. Probably over a hundred. Most are bigger than my thumb. $10 total. All German hardneck.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #3187 on: Oct 01, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Good looking garlic guys. I've never plated it by my wife uses it a lot. Garlic  is a fall planting, correct? 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3188 on: Oct 01, 2019, 04:38 PM »
Pretty easy Bart. Pick a good drained spot and buy some seed garlic and plant it this month.... ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3189 on: Oct 01, 2019, 05:22 PM »
Yup! Easy and very rewarding.  Plant this month. Pointed side up...I plant mine in about a 5" grid, 2-3" deep. I cover the bed with plastic hardware cloth and mulch with leaf litter about 6" deep for the winter. Peel the screen and mulch off in March or when the soil gets to 40 degrees or so. Basically when everything is thawed out.

I cut the scapes off when they form ( great in salads) and pull when the leaves are about half yellowed. Usually in mid July.

Best to rotate beds every year. I get my seed from a local farm market. It's just the garlic that they grow to sell. Any hardneck variety is suitable for fall planting.

Don't try to plant garlic from the super market. It's treated to resist sprouting. Organically grown might work, but I prefer farm market grown.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #3190 on: Oct 02, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be heading to the farm market this weekend. I just cleared out my garden for the year so plenty of space. 

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3191 on: Oct 04, 2019, 05:14 PM »
Dont know if it will help but just covered 6 of my beds.  All ready down to 40*.. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3192 on: Oct 04, 2019, 06:30 PM »
I'm letting mine go. If they take a hit, it's no great loss for me. They're saying 35 and patchy frost , but we'll see. Picked another big bag of wax beans last evening. Still have a bunch of peppers on the plants. Other than that it's just the flower gardens.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3193 on: Oct 05, 2019, 07:15 AM »
Well if all my green tomatoes didnt freeze i will be making pickled green tomatoes tomorrow....Should have just picked them last night but didnt have the gumption... :-\

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3194 on: Oct 06, 2019, 03:56 AM »
No real frost here. Everything is still fine out there.  Although, our flowers are looking pretty sad. I'll have some fall planting to do next weekend. Need to transplant the sedum from the front garden to the back yard near the vegetable gardens. It got way too big for that planting. I'm also going to dig up my dahlias to try and save the tubers for next season. I've already harvested marigold seeds and Cardinal Climbers seeds. Basil and oregano are drying nicely in the basement.

Moved 90% of the wood shop back to the basement yesterday. Bought a leaf bagger for the tractor. My guess is the leaves will be dropping fast in the next couple weeks.

Fall is definitely here!

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.