FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle The Fishing Tackle Superstore

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 257240 times)

zwiggles

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3270 on: Mar 13, 2020, 06:54 PM »
I've already been through the garden with the tiller 3 times in last 2 weeks will continue to til once or twice a week til planting time

RD beat me to it. Till as little as possible, keep your foot traffic to a minimum, and let the good stuff grow.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3271 on: Mar 13, 2020, 07:00 PM »
4 by 8 foot raised beds is the way to go.... 8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Badbrad2186

« Reply #3272 on: Mar 13, 2020, 07:04 PM »
  Worst thing for your soil is to till or step in it..   Just saying..

Well what I have been doing for last 8 years is working. I have more produce than 1 family can eat and these is 6 if us. I'll send ya pictures once everything is established and growing well

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #3273 on: Mar 13, 2020, 10:25 PM »
I'm going to try potatoes in containers this year. I've tried the potato towers in the past with moderate success. I picked up a bunch of 30 gallon plastic drums for free at a recycling center today. Hopefully it works out.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3274 on: Mar 14, 2020, 10:39 AM »
I've done potatoes in my beds the last 3 years with great success. Tried some in bags last year and they didn't do near as well as the beds did. I'm thinking of giving a couple towers a shot this year.

I was drawing out my gardens this morning. I'm making a couple changes to the U shaped beds. Gonna take out the part at the ends that connects the two beds. I've been frustrated trying to get to the corners. Too far away to deal with. I'll end up with 6- 2x8' beds. Plenty of space for what I grow. I may build them up another 8" as well. I really wish they were all 3' tall. Much easier on an old back.

This year all my tomatoes are going in containers and maybe some of my pickles and cukes as well.
Rg
“You can observe a lot by watching.“

Yogi

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3275 on: Mar 14, 2020, 11:12 AM »
Sounds like a good plan Bob..
 I have been raising my beds another 10"
Sure is a lot nicer..  Waiting for a chance to get a big trailer of compost.   But than again I still have snow in a lot of places.. ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3276 on: Mar 14, 2020, 11:32 AM »
I use to have a great asparagus patch but it died off.  Going to make one bed and dedicate it to all asparagus...
 In a couple years I should have plenty.. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3277 on: Mar 14, 2020, 12:32 PM »
My asparagus patch did well last year. I'm going to add a few more crowns to one end . But, I expect a good harvest from it. I'll have to research getting a load of compost this year. I have some but not enough. I might be able to catch a sale at our store before planting gets under way.

I'm getting anxious and you'll be showing us hothouse tomatoes any time now.

Rg

Yogi

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3278 on: Mar 17, 2020, 04:05 PM »
Hundreds of rose bushes to go in pots.. :P

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3279 on: Mar 17, 2020, 04:39 PM »
That's how they ship them eh? Bare root?.

Rg

Yogi

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3280 on: Mar 17, 2020, 05:09 PM »
Yup.... And these pots dont go through the machine.... :-\

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #3281 on: Mar 18, 2020, 05:48 AM »
This is going to be a good year to have a garden. Who knows how long the shelves in the stores will be almost bare. I agree on the raised beds. They are a necessity at my daughter's. It can be too wet there but the beds let us plant much sooner than waiting for it to dry along with all the other benefits.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3282 on: Mar 18, 2020, 07:12 AM »
I'm hoping to make some alterations to my beds this weekend. Almost time to get the potatoes in. Gotta cut back the dead asparagus too. I a off yesterday but it was rainy, windy, cold and damp. So I cooked and worked on my fly tying bench a bit. Freshening up my work station some.

Rg

Yogi

Mac Attack

« Reply #3283 on: Mar 18, 2020, 08:06 AM »
Our raised bed.
Last summer I recovered it again with heavy black plastic to eliminate the weed maintenance.
The stuff I put on 1-2 yrs earlier tore up in the heavy winds.
3 yrs ago we decided we simply couldn't stay ahead of a garden AND go to the lake place too.
Anyway, it's been covered and "cooking" for 2-3 yrs now.
Whoever buys this place in 2 yrs when we sell and move to Florida will get a sweet soil-rich raised bed garden for their veggies and things.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3284 on: Mar 19, 2020, 03:14 AM »
I doubt I'll get at my gardens this weekend. Looks like it's going to be just plain cold. Suits me. I'm remodeling my fly tying room and looking forward to some time on the bench.

Besides, I'm close to making the decision to take a 2-3 week leave from Lowes. My Bride is very high risk and although I'm quite healthy, I cannot chance bringing this virus home. She would not do well.

Rg

Yogi

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.