FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: OT/ Clamfarmer, Some oyster questions  (Read 1660 times)

44 Degrees North

OT/ Clamfarmer, Some oyster questions
« on: Aug 09, 2015, 03:11 AM »
Hauling the other day I got to thinking about your new project. Is it possible to grow oysters in a more controlled environment such as a tank room, like lobsters kept in?  Second, I know you have people and permit problems but what about Mother Nature and her way of kicking a$$? Thinking about ICE. Ice can move granite once froze around it. Hurricane or strong winds and big tides that move large trees off shore and vaccum up everything in their way. And third, the human factor. The predators, hey I know where we can get a mess of oysters. Being a fisherman of fixed gear I deal with all of this and know you have thought through all of this. Is it possible to insure your investment or do you just have to suck up your losses when they occur like us that lobster fish? Bottomline, just wondering if there is a way to gain more control. Very interested in your project and hope you cash in big time.  44

CLAMFARMER

Re: OT/ Clamfarmer, Some oyster questions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2015, 05:07 AM »
“Just full of questions, ahhn’t ya Bub.”  ;D  "Pass me another bait bag, and I’ll tell ya about it.”

First, though; Caught about 4# a trap again yesterday.Been getting 2# or more pretty consistently.  And, about a month and a half ago I lost a trap to tide and kelp. Last week it showed up next to a couple of my other traps. It was fresh baited and had 3 keepers in it!  :flag: :thumbup_smilie:

Hauling the other day I got to thinking about your new project. Is it possible to grow oysters in a more controlled environment such as a tank room, like lobsters kept in?

It can be done, bit is far from cost effective. Just the spat is grown this way, up to a couple mm. ou have to grow and feed plankton.

Second, I know you have people and permit problems but what about Mother Nature and her way of kicking a$$? Thinking about ICE. Ice can move granite once froze around it. Hurricane or strong winds and big tides that move large trees off shore and vaccum up everything in their way. .

All those things you mention are the problem with growing quahogs. Just can’t control enough factors where I tried it. Maine has limited growing space for oysters, mainly due to water temperature. (I shouldn’t be telling you any of this.... 8) ) Salinity and feed are important factors as well. Some places can grow oysters, but the time to market can be too long. It seems the Frenchman Bay area is pretty much the line. You need water that gets up at least to @ 70 and salinity below 30. At least that’s what is the case with the guys I know growing em. So, fresh water inlets with good southern exposure in shallow weather protected (as much as possible) estuaries are best. Around here, oysters are not left in surface gear over winter. They are either sunk to the bottom in protected deep water or completely removed fro the water and stored in temperature controlled environment. The other issue with leaving them on the tide is sea stars - VERY BAD!The oysters go dormant below 40 degrees and more than 95% will survive for months that way. The places I’m in: Morgan Bay has two fresh water streams near the site, has low tidal exchange allowing good algal growth and temperature, is only really effected by strong southerlies. Goose Cove is about the same.  Al my stuff will likely be put on bottom, if the starfish aren’t to awful bad.

And third, the human factor: The predators, hey I know where we can get a mess of oysters.

Not really an issue. I know guys, the ones I work with, that have had oysters stolen by their “partners” on another lease site. 10s of thousands. But that is about the worst.

Being a fisherman of fixed gear I deal with all of this and know you have thought through all of this. Is it possible to insure your investment or do you just have to suck up your losses when they occur like us that lobster fish? Bottomline, just wondering if there is a way to gain more control.

I’ve installed about all the control possible. Will be using self-flipping bags soon. Like anything, you need to prepare for, stay on top off and jump on any issues that come up.

Very interested in your project and hope you cash in big time.  44

Come by and check it out!

Joe
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

44 Degrees North

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2015, 03:10 PM »
Full of questions, that's right. When you work alone you listen to the voices in your head. Sometimes not a good idea!  ;)  Well, thanks for clearing some of that up. I didn't even hit you up about Red Tide. I assume it works the same way as any bivalve. I would like to check it out, find it very interesting. Maybe in September I can find time. Sounds like your gonna need another freezer for all that lobster meat. It has been a bountiful summer. Ma and I just canned up 2 cases of green beans and froze up more peas.  If starfish are a problem there are a couple of divers around that harvest them. Last time I saw them they were working out of Sorrento last winter when I was on the truck.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Full of questions, that's right. When you work alone you listen to the voices in your head. Sometimes not a good idea!  ;)  Well, thanks for clearing some of that up. I didn't even hit you up about Red Tide. I assume it works the same way as any bivalve. I would like to check it out, find it very interesting. Maybe in September I can find time. Sounds like your gonna need another freezer for all that lobster meat. It has been a bountiful summer. Ma and I just canned up 2 cases of green beans and froze up more peas.  If starfish are a problem there are a couple of divers around that harvest them. Last time I saw them they were working out of Sorrento last winter when I was on the truck.

That first quote comes from a Marshall Dodge thing, responding to a guy in the audience at a live show. . The other is from the  “Two Farts on the Flats” album an English teacher from Milbridge and another guy down that way put out. Bunch of good Maine humor stories. “Got home and found my wife and best friend o the couch locked up in the position. threw him and the couch out into the door yard and said: “you ain’t  gpin’ clammin’ with me next Satuhday, eethah!” Well.....it goes something like that  ;D

You’re welcome anytime! You can bring Muthah if ya want, too! As long as she isn’t bent on killing things..... ;)
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

44 Degrees North

« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2015, 02:32 AM »
2 Farts, Rodney Harrington lives across the bridge from me. His wife was my homeroom teacher when I was in high school. The other fart Dana Sawyer a cousin of mine.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2015, 03:38 AM »
2 Farts, Rodney Harrington lives across the bridge from me. His wife was my homeroom teacher when I was in high school. The other fart Dana Sawyer a cousin of mine.

Nice! I used to have that album.

I think I’ll see if I can find a copy.  :thumbup_smilie:

44 Degrees North

Clamfarmer, go to the Wlbz site and click on new fishing opportunities for fishermen. Channel 2 news did a piece last night on growing blue mussels and Arctic surf clams. Very similar to what I was thinking about with the oysters. I think you may find it interesting. 44

CLAMFARMER

Clamfarmer, go to the Wlbz site and click on new fishing opportunities for fishermen. Channel 2 news did a piece last night on growing blue mussels and Arctic surf clams. Very similar to what I was thinking about with the oysters. I think you may find it interesting. 44

Yep! Nice to see those guys on TV! We’ve worked together a lot. Looks like George did his hair for the show.... ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.