FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: OT/ Spray in truck bed liners  (Read 2805 times)

44 Degrees North

OT/ Spray in truck bed liners
« on: Apr 08, 2016, 02:43 AM »
Hopefully with no glitches I'll be picking up a used work truck in the next couple of days. It has no bed liner and was thinking of getting the spray in type. So Line-X or Rhino coat? Anybody got any opinions ?

fish wayniac

Re: OT/ Spray in truck bed liners
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2016, 05:35 AM »
I used Herculiner for a bedliner. A do it yourself that comes in a gallon can for $100.It took me a few hours to do the prep and 2 coats but has held up well.

Sinnian

« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2016, 05:57 AM »
Loved my Rhino lining on my old truck
Sometimes it's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open you mouth and remove all doubt ~ Abe Lincoln
It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument ~W McAdoo

Baydog

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2016, 06:03 AM »
 I have a factory installed spray in liner in my Ram.....If you really use the bed of a truck, a drop in liner will be the better choice. I am far easier on a truck bed than I used to be, but even what I would call light to medium use will allow dents, and chip off chunks of liner leaving bare spots in the bed.

stguy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2016, 06:32 AM »
I have a factory installed spray in liner in my Ram.....If you really use the bed of a truck, a drop in liner will be the better choice. I am far easier on a truck bed than I used to be, but even what I would call light to medium use will allow dents, and chip off chunks of liner leaving bare spots in the bed.

I second Baydogs comments, just take it out in the spring and clean the salt and sand out between the liner and the body.

Sprayed in liners are good but tough to slide things in and out on.

The insert can also double as a sled if you need to drag your moose any distance.

TunkTroller

« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2016, 08:06 AM »
Whats the truck make and model?

saltyshores

« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2016, 08:13 AM »
Call Roberto's Used Cars in Steuben or stop in. He may have one that fits and is good and usable even though it is in a junked car behind his lot.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2016, 08:50 AM »
I did my Chevy S10 with the DIY kit, it held up pretty good for the 12 years I had the truck, it did flake off in a few spots but when the bed started to rust it was from the bottom. One note with the DIY vs the professional liners, the pros use a lot of material so it comes to being about the thickness of a plastic liner. It would take multiple cans of DIY product to get the same thickness.

I used to have a rubber matt in another pick up which could be easily taken out and washed.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2016, 12:56 PM »
I always liked the drop in liner on previous trucks. My current one is a Toyota and it's composite. I use a rubber mat so things don't slide around.

chillywillie

• Team Maine
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2016, 02:07 PM »
I prefer the plastic drop in liners personally but I have a few friends with Rhino liners and Line-X.  The Line-X has a better texture and holds the color better in those trucks I've seen.

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2016, 03:40 PM »
I have a full sized heavy rubber mat in my Tundra, it's great, no rattles and easy cleanup. Other than that, I'd go with the drop in liner and Rick's idea is  economical and a good used liner is as good as a used hammer. :)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

bug-chazer

« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2016, 04:39 PM »
Only problem with drop in liner is the wear the paint away and lead to rust . Moisture gets trapped under liner and rust happens. My last truck had all kinds of rust under plastic liner . My mechanic said he's seen beds that looked good outside and almost eaten thru under liner. He gets a double thickness spray in liner and says he has never had a problem. And no he doesn't sell or recommend a dealer for spray in liner

Yachtzy

« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2016, 07:02 PM »
I'm a fan of the drop ins, over thr rail type, for uses like mulch, sand, gravel, etc., they clean easy. Before you drop in a liner you just have to sand down any rust spots and paint them(used truck). Then you apply car wax and don't wipe off the residue.  That's the trick the accessory shops do. ;) It's around $240 installed by them. Line X if you prefer a spray on.

TunkTroller

« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2016, 09:34 PM »
I have a full sized heavy rubber mat in my Tundra, it's great, no rattles and easy cleanup. Other than that, I'd go with the drop in liner and Rick's idea is  economical and a good used liner is as good as a used hammer. :)

That's all I use and I think it keeps stuff from rusting because it drains well and air gets around it. I've got salt water running out of mine all the time so rust is a concern and it seems to be the best option I've found. Regular liners it gets trapped way up under and can't dry out.

Another plus is anything you set on them is GLUED to the spot you set it. They are getting a lot more expensive though for the good ones. $150 or more. I've got 2 more trucks I'd like to put them in that have bed liners (skating rings). Got to bite the bullet.

Probably on a brand new truck the best option is a coated liner (rust protection ) and then a rubber mat on top.

perchgypsy

« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2016, 10:32 PM »
For yrs we have all worried about the bed of a truck I'm finally at a point where I'm definitely more worried about underneath that matters most do yourself a favor and treat the bottom and bed if you have the doe...I am also a fan of drop in...but my next truck will be rhino underneath...in maine do they salt the roads?...in new york depending on county or highway they salt most and also use sand in areas....salt kills our vehicals fast

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.