FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: OT/ Spray in truck bed liners  (Read 2806 times)

44 Degrees North

Re: OT/ Spray in truck bed liners
« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2016, 02:19 AM »
Whats the truck make and model?

2011 Chevy Silverado   It currently has a rubber mat.

44 Degrees North

« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2016, 02:35 AM »
For yrs we have all worried about the bed of a truck I'm finally at a point where I'm definitely more worried about underneath that matters most do yourself a favor and treat the bottom and bed if you have the doe...I am also a fan of drop in...but my next truck will be rhino underneath...in maine do they salt the roads?...in new york depending on county or highway they salt most and also use sand in areas....salt kills our vehicals fast

That concerns me as well. I have a 2005 Ford F150 my wife drove over the state highway back and forth to work (40 miles a day). 128,000 and the frame is bad, over the wheel wells is rusted out and a hole up through the bed. That truck should have gone another 75,000 before I encountered these problems. Bought a 2015 chevy new last August and it slathered in Fluid Film last fall in hopes of stopping that premature rusting. At the time of that Ford being new the state was laying down a brine mixture just as a storm started. Great for snow removal, unreal on vehicles. Now they just lay strait salt. Towns use a mixture of salt and sand.

44 Degrees North

« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2016, 02:45 AM »
I have had drop ins and experienced rust from condensation and salt water leaking through a punctured hole(s). A sheet of plywood solved the sliding in the truck bed. I like them but I want to get away from trapped moisture with this truck. There is a rubber mat in this truck and I will try that out for the summer. Come fall I will try one of the sprays.

TunkTroller

« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2016, 10:11 AM »
If it's an 8 foot body I may have a drop on liner that will fit it you can have but putting clams and crates in I've found the rubber mat is great. It always dries right out underneath it.

If you want to coat the frame Steve Strout has some drums over to his body shop filled with a mixture of fluid film / Bar and chain oil / and some other thick oil. Will coat the undercarriage then have you go drive gravel roads for an hour when it's dry out to coat it in dust.

fish wayniac

« Reply #19 on: Apr 10, 2016, 08:09 AM »
If it's an 8 foot body I may have a drop on liner that will fit it you can have but putting clams and crates in I've found the rubber mat is great. It always dries right out underneath it.

If you want to coat the frame Steve Strout has some drums over to his body shop filled with a mixture of fluid film / Bar and chain oil / and some other thick oil. Will coat the undercarriage then have you go drive gravel roads for an hour when it's dry out to coat it in dust.
That is poor mans rust proofing. That is what my dad would do before Zebart coating came out.He would would have his mechanic spray on oil mixture and take it for a ride on the dirt roads of VT.

boondox

« Reply #20 on: Apr 10, 2016, 08:59 PM »
That concerns me as well. I have a 2005 Ford F150 my wife drove over the state highway back and forth to work (40 miles a day). 128,000 and the frame is bad, over the wheel wells is rusted out and a hole up through the bed. That truck should have gone another 75,000 before I encountered these problems. Bought a 2015 chevy new last August and it slathered in Fluid Film last fall in hopes of stopping that premature rusting. At the time of that Ford being new the state was laying down a brine mixture just as a storm started. Great for snow removal, unreal on vehicles. Now they just lay strait salt. Towns use a mixture of salt and sand.

That the new high tinsel strength steel they use in the  auto body  of the car and trucks if you get the newer 2017 f150 it has a all aluminum body got to Remember aluminum only gets a white powder on the surface if it ""rusts"" not the red oxides rust like high tinsel strength steel does and dies from...real quick I think ford was thinking safety issues when they came out with the latest body that and weight reduction safety issue cause steel when rusted stops nothing and is completely different then aluminum.. that   will last a lot longer than thin steel on the salted roads.. only thing to worry about then is the steel frame of the truck if it not aluminum but you can order them from different shops to replace the old damaged one...for sure since I am in the salt belt I would be looking at the f150 cause it will last that much longer...and have a higher resale in the long run if undamaged..replacing motors and frames are easier then patching pannels...to tell you guy the truth...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.