FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: new to salt  (Read 3322 times)

Roccus

Re: new to salt
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2017, 06:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing that info Joe, the housy down by me has been fishing the same regarding the tides and temp swings  Also if I talk to Jimmy I will tell him you say hi.  You taught that guy how to make quite the jointed eel.  I lost my last one one a cow in a breachway and have missed them since.  Are you still spinning wood?

I  expect that pattern to modify as the tides build towards the new moon... the volume of cold water will effect the tidal flow...especially if we don't get a lot of rain... I turn for a few months in the fall seeing I don't hunt anymore...I probably have 4 -500 plugs packed away or hanging in my shop... there's another 100 + or - a few  "hanging around" needing hardware... I usually make a few specifically for the New Hampshire get together for ice shanty... some how frank ( Aqua assassin) always seems to get at least one of them  8)

aj454

« Reply #16 on: Jul 21, 2017, 07:37 AM »
Hello guys, I also am gonna be new to ocean fishing interested in cod,haddock & sea bass. Looking for advice before I even go out. Just bought a 20 foot bayliner trophy with 125 Mercury 100gal. tank OUCH Got the vhf radio. Got a handheld GPS don't know if that is acceptable for the ocean. Where would I get navigation information to run out to stellwegen bank and other fishing grounds??? Any info and advice for a rookie is well appreciated. Thank you.

Roccus

« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2017, 08:22 AM »
Hello guys, I also am gonna be new to ocean fishing interested in cod,haddock & sea bass. Looking for advice before I even go out. Just bought a 20 foot bayliner trophy with 125 Mercury 100gal. tank OUCH Got the vhf radio. Got a handheld GPS don't know if that is acceptable for the ocean. Where would I get navigation information to run out to stellwegen bank and other fishing grounds??? Any info and advice for a rookie is well appreciated. Thank you.

100 gallons.. it'll cost a mere $314 to fill it up in Newburyport....WELCOME TO BOATING...codfish are off limits in the Gulf of Maine...As far as the hand held GPS... buy a dash mounted one... those screens are just too hard to safely navigate with... a decent entry level mapping GPS can be had for relatively short money... about the price of 2 tanks of gas!... bathometric charts are your friend... buy them for the areas you plan to fish...fishing offshore in a 20 footer is not a stunt. BUT should always  be done with caution. Weather men ( and women) have been known to tell a white lie or two when it comes to forecasting... learn to trust your gut if you are uncomfortable.. stay/go home..no fish is worth dyeing for..

Baitbucket

« Reply #18 on: Jul 21, 2017, 02:58 PM »

I would suggest a dash mount GPS/Chartplottter/Fishfinder as well. I would go far as to say they are must haves.

Being new to the sport you may want to look into getting a guide to come out on your boat with you. To teach you where, when, how, to fish and maybe go over your electronics.

I know Stripernut on these forums provides a service like i detailed above. May be worth contacting him via PM for more info.

stripernut

« Reply #19 on: Jul 21, 2017, 04:02 PM »
A dash mounted Chartplotter is much easier to use, that said for many years we would run off shore with only a hand held like a Garmin 45... It did not even have charts and we still caught lots of fish... I remember well lots of long runs back in to shore with over 300 lbs of cod and haddock (that was all we could fit in the 17ft Alumacraft) with my buddy running the boat and me holding the Garmin so he could see it with all the pounding and spray... Good times! A nice dash mounted Chartplotter is better, but don't let it stop you from going out... Let me know if you need some numbers...

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Jul 22, 2017, 04:48 AM »
I  expect that pattern to modify as the tides build towards the new moon... the volume of cold water will effect the tidal flow...especially if we don't get a lot of rain... I turn for a few months in the fall seeing I don't hunt anymore...I probably have 4 -500 plugs packed away or hanging in my shop... there's another 100 + or - a few  "hanging around" needing hardware... I usually make a few specifically for the New Hampshire get together for ice shanty... some how frank ( Aqua assassin) always seems to get at least one of them  8)

That's awesome!  Ya I became a jointed eel addict.  Found a few spots in the canal where they'd get smoked on the regular!   :D

aj454

« Reply #21 on: Jul 24, 2017, 08:23 AM »
Baitbucket that is a great idea and have thought of that myself. I would love to hook up with someone to show me the way to do things.  And yes to the chart plotter and GPS as I am looking for one to hook up to the standard horizon 1600 VHF.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.