FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 6392 times)

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
Vacation
« on: Jun 22, 2016, 09:48 AM »
Vacation starts Sunday 6/26. Off to the ditch for some Stripahs.  Can't wait. WoooHooo. Need a break work suxs!!!! Stripers have been good to me so far. Come On Sunday.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

westernmas

Re: Vacation
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2016, 09:55 AM »
Good luck.  I've been back twice.  I didn't fish for long periods of time but I haven't had much success.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2016, 10:45 AM »
Good luck, I am sure you will do well! If you are going to be "hanging" out all day in a area, look into getting a lobster pot and license... I don't know that you can do it, but you might... And lobster makes great stuffing for your stripers!

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Good luck, I am sure you will do well! If you are going to be "hanging" out all day in a area, look into getting a lobster pot and license... I don't know that you can do it, but you might... And lobster makes great stuffing for your stripers!

I've seen a few in the east end near the visitor center.  I was wondering if it was legal or not but haven't really done the research.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2016, 11:48 AM »
There are Recreational Lobster Regulations and I am sure there are a bunch of hoops to jump thru, but if you are going to be hanging on the CCC for a while (like camping) it might be worth the trouble... If it is even possible...

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2016, 01:04 PM »
Good luck Jeff.  Big fish will be in their "spots" by now.  Find the holes, find the fish.  Still good chance at some good mack pushes.  Also don't forget....NiteBite!  (ill be down in my normal haunts)

Jschumacher

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Good luck Jeff.  Big fish will be in their "spots" by now.  Find the holes, find the fish.  Still good chance at some good mack pushes.  Also don't forget....NiteBite!  (ill be down in my normal haunts)
Yup dark to day light. sleep by the pool when the suns up. I'll have the bike so moving around to find the fish won't be a problem. Send me a text when you get there I'll find you.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Jschumacher

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2016, 09:48 PM »
There are Recreational Lobster Regulations and I am sure there are a bunch of hoops to jump thru, but if you are going to be hanging on the CCC for a while (like camping) it might be worth the trouble... If it is even possible...
You can do it. Several traps in the ditch. Always looking for the cable tied off to the rocks so I don't get snagged when getting in close. Like to keep the jig in right to the end. A lot of fish come at the last few yards. 2 trips down so far this year 5 fish 2 at 40"and a couple big fish dropped.

Member of The GODS

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2016, 01:21 AM »
Yup dark to day light. sleep by the pool when the suns up. I'll have the bike so moving around to find the fish won't be a problem. Send me a text when you get there I'll find you.

Im going to shoot for the long weekend of the 4th.  I've never caught a ton of fish that weekend, over the past few years, but the ones I have were big! 

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2016, 12:51 PM »
Not to be a buzzkill, but you may want to have a "plan b" in regards to fishing the canal.
I've been down a few times this year for the evening low tides, and have only one fish for those trips.

It had been speculated that the spring migration bypassed the canal this year and the fish traveled out around P-town instead. (OTW reports hinted as much)
If you can find one, seek out a day trip (or two) and take a charter out into the bay. There seemed top be much more action reported from the bay.

There's also a number of freshwater venues you could try as well.

You could do the lobster trap thing, but keep in mind that it's a $40.00 permit, you will need as many PROPERLY MARKED traps as you plan on using, and you need to be aware / wary of crowding anyone else's traps. Unless you plan on sitting and watching them while they soak, you could come back to find your traps moved, gone , poached or destroyed. Anyone that has traps there can tell you of their experiences.

Anyway, hope you have a great vacation!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2016, 04:23 PM »
Not to be a buzzkill, but you may want to have a "plan b" in regards to fishing the canal.
I've been down a few times this year for the evening low tides, and have only one fish for those trips.

It had been speculated that the spring migration bypassed the canal this year and the fish traveled out around P-town instead. (OTW reports hinted as much)
If you can find one, seek out a day trip (or two) and take a charter out into the bay. There seemed top be much more action reported from the bay.

There's also a number of freshwater venues you could try as well.

You could do the lobster trap thing, but keep in mind that it's a $40.00 permit, you will need as many PROPERLY MARKED traps as you plan on using, and you need to be aware / wary of crowding anyone else's traps. Unless you plan on sitting and watching them while they soak, you could come back to find your traps moved, gone , poached or destroyed. Anyone that has traps there can tell you of their experiences.

Anyway, hope you have a great vacation!

Yes listen to this guy.  I am happier when the place is empty ;D.  Now, joking aside, what I will tell you is report chasers almost never succceed at the canal the fishing changes too quickly most of the time. 

I fish the canal because I like fishing there, not because it is the "best" spot to catch stripers all the time, but even still the idea of resident fish exists but it takes time to figure them out (I still am) 

Also instead of speculating you should know that the spawning season down south has had some up and down yoy indexs past few seasons, while the yoy from the early 90's matured and were slaughtered pretty hard. Now that said, guys who can't fathom the lack of action are scrambling for answers...the bypass theory is one of those "answers" to explain poor fishing. But, if you consider it takes about 20-22 years to grow 40-50lbes...and then look back 20 years to the 96 yoy index, it was one of the worst...that is the mass of adults we are fishing for now...and its A LOT smaller than the 95 class.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 23, 2016, 09:13 PM »
There was tons of stripers, and some good sized ones in all the tidal creeks  couple weeks ago when I was last on CC.         If the fish bypassed the canal, I would think Monomoy would have been better weeks ago, but it's only now starting to heat up.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2016, 11:44 AM »
There were "reports" (take it for what it's worth) that there were decent bass in good numbers on the outer cape near P-town, as well as out in CC bay.
There were also good fish taken up north, but not so may from the canal itself.

Now I know it's a marathon not a sprint when fishing the canal.
I hear reports of schools of this, catches of that and I figure that that might be the best I can hope for....not expect!
When I fish the canal, it's for hours not minutes. I will try different lures, different presentations and retrieve speeds.

I get more frustrated by inaccurate weather forecast than fishing forecasts, because no one really gets paid to forecast fishing, but rather report it AFTER it happened.

Anyway, I hope you have a great vacation, and find some fish to make it real fun!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Jschumacher

« Reply #13 on: Jun 24, 2016, 09:10 PM »
2 trips to the canal so far this year with 5 fish to show for it 2 of them 40". Also have dropped a couple decent fish. I have read and heard the reports. I have a canal cruzzer so I'll be very mobile. I also know that the canal can turn on at any given time with out warning. I'll find some fish. I to enjoy fishing there very much. Some great sunrise mornings there and the bike path scenery can very worth the time spent there if you know what I mean.  ;D ;D

Member of The GODS

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jun 24, 2016, 10:20 PM »
I met a girl down there once...7 years later I am still with her!   :D. Jeff, nothing better than when it turns on without warning! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.