FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best eating fish.  (Read 5725 times)

bigr

Best eating fish.
« on: Aug 25, 2017, 04:53 AM »
What is your best eating fish and how do you fix it. I really like Flat head cats in the 4 to 5lb class. Plain old corn meal seasoned and fried. I don't target flat head often so I don't get eat them near as much as I would like.

Slabhunter136

Re: Best eating fish.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2017, 05:05 AM »
Definitely Bluegill..... especially through the ice  ;D. Shore Lunch breading, drop some hot sauce on each fillet you eat, as you're frying up the next batch.
Oh, and a cold Beer!  :flag:

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2017, 05:53 AM »
Snook anyway it is cooked.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2017, 06:29 AM »
All based on personal opinion and your region.  Bluegills are king here in Indiana and considered trash fish in other parts of the country. In parts of Idaho walleye are thrown up on the bank because they look to much like squawfish.

Canadians are NOT enamoured with northern pike.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Walleyechaser96

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2017, 07:18 AM »
Walleye is my favorite deepfried :D

stripernut

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2017, 07:46 AM »
I have eaten most freshwater fish and many saltwater fish. I think you are right about the region being a big part of it, here in the NE, our white perch are excellent eating, sweet white meat. Talk to some one in NY and they say they are not fit to feed to cats (same fish but I think they feed on different stuff)... With a little luck, I will be filling a cooler with haddock tomorrow, now that will be some good eats... But the question was best eating fish and for me (and many others), there are many saltwater fish that taste better than the best walleye or sunfish. Then again, I don't like fresh tuna (but I sure like catching them), but many people spend big bucks for it...

FWCanoeFisher

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2017, 07:51 AM »
I love eating, in the following order, #1: Yellow perch, #2: Channel catfish, #3: Crappie through the ice

VT Mountain Musky

« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08:10 AM »
#1 by far for freshwater fish that I catch would be burbot, hard to find and can be tough to catch but insanely delicious, followed by walleye at #2 and little wild brook trout at #3.  bullhead and panfish are great but you cant beat the top 3.

abishop

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08:34 AM »
Freshwater, perch, walleye and northern, bluegill then crappie in that order. I have lived outside of Boston for 6 years and salt water fish is a whole new chapter. Never tried burbot, but cats aren't even on my list or bullheads. To each his own, guess a lot depends on what species you catch as well. LOL

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Far as eating from fresh water   blue Gill , yellow perch ,stream trout ,  walleye

bigr

« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2017, 08:52 AM »
I have eaten most freshwater fish and many saltwater fish. I think you are right about the region being a big part of it, here in the NE, our white perch are excellent eating, sweet white meat. Talk to some one in NY and they say they are not fit to feed to cats (same fish but I think they feed on different stuff)... With a little luck, I will be filling a cooler with haddock tomorrow, now that will be some good eats... But the question was best eating fish and for me (and many others), there are many saltwater fish that taste better than the best walleye or sunfish. Then again, I don't like fresh tuna (but I sure like catching them), but many people spend big bucks for it...
White Perch? Are you referring to what we call by slang Drum/Sheepshead? In the Indiana regulations they are  White Perch. I know in some states, regions they could be talking about a crappie.

zwiggles

« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2017, 09:02 AM »
Freshwater: cusk/burbot/ling whatever you call it.

Saltwater: blue fin or halibut

chris458wm

« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2017, 10:38 AM »
 Fresh water fish are Walleye, Calico, Yellow Perch, and Blue Gills.

stripernut

« Reply #13 on: Aug 25, 2017, 11:17 AM »
White Perch? Are you referring to what we call by slang Drum/Sheepshead? In the Indiana regulations they are  White Perch. I know in some states, regions they could be talking about a crappie.

No, different fish...

gundogwanted

« Reply #14 on: Aug 25, 2017, 11:23 AM »
When you fillet Northern Pike the right way, it can't be beat. Great on a taco, but done in cast iron.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.