FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle MarCum Technologies The Fishing Tackle Superstore

The board sponsored by:

Author Topic: whaler for trolling?  (Read 331 times)

porkpiehat

whaler for trolling?
« on: Dec 04, 2017, 12:26 AM »
I'm about to buy a 17' whaler (or McKee) for both fresh and salt water now that I'm fishing RI in the fall more. Does anyone troll the lakes in one?

Mac Attack

Re: whaler for trolling?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2017, 12:36 AM »
Trolled for walleye in one with a 60hp Yamaha 4stroke for 3 yrs.
It was 16' though
Old Whaler but new motor
Trolled great

Mac

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2017, 05:23 AM »

A bud had an 18í McKee we trolled for trout and salmon on Lake Ontario  , trolled great , in rougher water they donít cut through like a deep V , just takes a little longer to get to your destination, solid boats

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2017, 11:41 AM »
wind at iceout makes for one really cold and wet ride in a whaler, they perform better at sea than on a windy lake with 33 degree water

porkpiehat

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:01 PM »
wind at iceout makes for one really cold and wet ride in a whaler, they perform better at sea than on a windy lake with 33 degree water

My thought is that in rough/windy days, my 16' lund gets tossed around a lot because it's so light. It rolls but feels overall stable. but the wind takes it and turns it around when I'm fighting the fish. My thinking is that A 17' whaler is much heavier and will do less of this. I think the newer hulls have less of a rough ride, but they plane pretty well and are made for rough housing.

Never driven one though. I would be wearing snowpants, waders and a parka. The center console has a high windshield, but I guess you're less exposed sitting down shielded by aluminum gunwales...Is that what you meant?

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:22 PM »
my exprience was in an older montauk,  it took in a good amount of water heading into a heavey wind. most of the year im not to worried about that but iceout and heavey wind would be my maine concern. it doesnt cut thru the water like a deeper vee lund. now that was an older boat, have not been in a newer 17. i like to be comfortable, i fish an eastern lobster boat with full cuddy and roof.

porkpiehat

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:15 PM »
my exprience was in an older montauk,  it took in a good amount of water heading into a heavey wind. most of the year im not to worried about that but iceout and heavey wind would be my maine concern. it doesnt cut thru the water like a deeper vee lund. now that was an older boat, have not been in a newer 17. i like to be comfortable, i fish an eastern lobster boat with full cuddy and roof.

Oh I would love a roof and cabin! I fish alone too much to store and launch that stuff

fishlessman

« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2017, 04:01 PM »
my eastern is the smallest they did with a cabin, 19 foot, drafts about 12 inches. ive been towing it since 92 with a small dakota v6 (125 hp).  was at the boston boat show and i was down to a year old eastern and a new montauk whaler. it really came down to the whaler dealer pissing me off. its like your lund though, a side wind swings it right around

porkpiehat

« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2017, 08:52 PM »
haha what was the Whaler dealer like?
I'm looking at an outrage in addition to the Montauk. I think it's got a deeper v in the middle "hull".

JDK

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Growing up, I fished the Watch Hill reefs out of a 13 sport and a 17 Montauk.  As fishlessman said, the 17 was wet but solid.  IMHO it was a "big" 17 footer.  They pounded your brains out however.   Can't see where they wouldn't work for trollling.  Had a ball in both and some hairy times in that 13. 
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

fishlessman

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:32 AM »
google whaler montauk bow dodger

i would put a dodger on the front for iceout fishing, then take it off the rest of the year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.